• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I tried it

Daylen

Not something I say often, but AMEN!
I cc'd while visiting my mother over Thanksgiving, 'cause she just wouldn't understand, but I still wanted to protect myself & her while we were out-n-about.
There are times I'd like to cc here in WI, or at least have the option of closing my effin coat in the winter!!! I want some WAVE ghoul or Brady Bunch member to seriously explain to me how my being able to stay warm endangers public safety.

if you were in Florida it would be the opposite argument you and the antis would be making. You for why it is a threat to public safety to wear just shorts and a holster; they on the side that if carry is legal CC is the only safe way. Funny how they can argue out the opposite sides of their mouths like that against any particular choice being the wrong one.

since9

Campaign Veteran
if you were in Florida it would be the opposite argument you and the antis would be making. You for why it is a threat to public safety to wear just shorts and a holster; they on the side that if carry is legal CC is the only safe way. Funny how they can argue out the opposite sides of their mouths like that against any particular choice being the wrong one.

I think the point that's being made is that the antis will choose whichever mode of carry is least convenient for us then argue that's the way "it ought to be for the public safety."

The only logical response is to tell the antis to go jump in the lake.

Last edited:

Ivan Sample

When I get my CHP, I'll probably conceal on those days I just don't feel like dealing with people. Sometimes it's too much of a pain to always be in a good mood when I'm OCing.

I agree with your statement on this because I have my CCDW as it is called here in Kentucky. I some times OC but for the most part I carry conceal so I don't have to deal with people. I am starting to practice OC more and more lately.

Daylen

I think the point that's being made is that the antis will choose whichever mode of carry is least convenient for us then argue that's the way "it ought to be for the public safety."

total agreement.

MKEgal

So what we need to do (this seems so simple why didn't someone think of it sooner?!) is to take quotes, preferably from TV & newspaper interviews, attributed to the local Brady Bunch whackos in WI arguing that CC is the first sign of the second coming, and use those arguments in FL, or wherever OC is illegal. And vice versa - use the FL Brady Bunch arguments against OC to promote CC in WI.

I'm afraid I'd be arrested for attempted murder if I did that, 'cause some of them are stupid enough to do it, and the water up here is cold enough that hypothermia would kill in short order.
Unless someone wore a dry suit... ::whistling innocently & eyeing her SCUBA tank::

since9

Campaign Veteran
So what we need to do (this seems so simple why didn't someone think of it sooner?!) is to take quotes, preferably from TV & newspaper interviews, attributed to the local Brady Bunch whackos in WI arguing that CC is the first sign of the second coming, and use those arguments in FL, or wherever OC is illegal. And vice versa - use the FL Brady Bunch arguments against OC to promote CC in WI.

Outstanding MKEgal! After all, if any anti argument (or anti, for that matter), holds any merit, it will do so based on the underlying principles i.e. the writings of our Founding Fathers, both pre and post Declaration of Independance, Constitution, and Bill of Rights, and irrespective of climate.

I'm afraid I'd be arrested for attempted murder if I did that, 'cause some of them are stupid enough to do it, and the water up here is cold enough that hypothermia would kill in short order.
Unless someone wore a dry suit... ::whistling innocently & eyeing her SCUBA tank::

Well, if you can buddy breath... :)

I must have missed something between CC being the first sign of the second coming and attempted murder, however. Care to fill me in?

ETA: Ah! So obvious it utterly escaped notice, i.e., if one were to tell an anti to go jump in the lake, they might actually do it, and on the outside chance one of their friends, family members, or neighbors is up to it, they may claim some wicked sort of uber-liberal twist of the law, such as "suggestive homicide-suicide."

Heaven help us should we ever start being prosecuted for telling someone to "get lost," and they do, on a cold winter's night...

I think I hear a "Green Mile" caliber screenplay coming along...

Last edited:
C

coolfrmn

I know I'm on an OC site, but I REALLY think we should be fighting for Constitutional Carry. That way you can decide what's best for you.

Yes, I'm comming from a CC backround since 97. But, I like the idea of OC. Different strokes for different folks.:banana:

Daylen

I know I'm on an OC site, but I REALLY think we should be fighting for Constitutional Carry. That way you can decide what's best for you.

Yes, I'm comming from a CC backround since 97. But, I like the idea of OC. Different strokes for different folks.:banana:

I'm sure thats what most people are in favor of around here. There are other groups and sites for CC. This one is a specialty site for OC of pistols.

1 day at a time

As a Floridian I would submit that Rick Scott (new gov, NRA member) promising to repeal the OC ban had a part in him winning this last election. The safest way may just be the way you feel most comfortable.

It's the same issue for CCW folks going to OC. They just aren't comfortable with it.

As for your tangle of clothing, you just have to learn what kinds of clothing to wear and how to get to your firearm properly from a CCW stance. Just like anything else it takes practice.

Sometimes we confuse "I don't like" with it's just different. As someone who doesn't have the OC option it makes me feel uncomfortable, because I've never used this option before. My biggest fear would be a BG grabs my gun. I've joked about getting a shoulder holster and carrying my biggest gun, however, maybe I'll actually do it!
With that said, I feel very comfortable CC. I have a few different carrying habits for different clothing options.
This is how I roll.
For hot days I can wear cargo or gym shorts and smartcarry comfortably and safely and it takes about a second to get the gun out. As with anything it just takes time to practice.
On an "average" day I can throw a .380 in my front or back pocket or a .38 in my front pocket. I don't wear my clothes like Justin Beiber so when I throw a gun in my pocket it is concealed and doens't print.
I also have an IWB that is pretty dang legit. And I practice enough to wear it doesn't get caught on my shirt when I pull it out.
Practice, practice, practice!

protect our rights

I haven't used the UD one specifically, but all of those lash growth inhibitors work, you just have to be really careful when you apply them. My mom has bad eyesight, so she did hers kind of messily, well wouldn't you know, hair started growing out of her upper waterline. ouch.

What are you talking about? Get out of hear if you are trying to advertise!

hrdware

I have to carry concealed. Personally, I would much rather carry open as I would rather not be accosted by a BG just because he doesn't think I will resist. I would rather the BG see I'm packing and go bother someone else.

As for CC vs OC, well, I found my father's pro-CC attitude to be quite typical ... "It's no one's business whether you are carrying or not." I cannot dispute this on the one hand, but on the other hand, I feel that if I OC, no one should be surprised or concerned.

IMHO, CC and OC have common cause and that should be the freedom to choose which manner of carry without incuring censure from others. As I have seen mentioned on this forum many times, there would probably be more OC in the summer and more CC in the winter/inclement weather :cool: Maybe it's just me, but this seems fairly reasonable.

+1

Tony4310

I have my CC and tried OC and just wasn't comfortable with it personally. Yes, I'm one of those " IT'S NO ONES DAMN BUSINESS IF I AM CARRYING " and I don't care what anyone thinks. Where I live OC is spotty. Some places don't have ord. against it and some do and the ones that don't doesn't mean the cops aren't going to hassle you over it. Now go ahead and bash me if you want, but I won't apologize for preferring CC over OC ( No, I do not care if anyone OC's ). That is your business and not mine!

checkmate

The Alabama Supreme Court called CC "the evil practice of carrying weapons secretly" in a decision where they said that the AL code may NOT outlaw both OC and CC and that they tended toward OC.

Could you possibly provide some sort of citation for this? How recent was it and what were the final decisions made? I would greatly appreciate any info you could provide on the subject as I am from Alabama and carry while I am home for holidays.

eye95

State v. Reid (http://aloc.info/docs/statevreid.pdf) is from 1840. OC has always been legal in Alabama. It's practice died out several decades ago, but is being restored.

Visit ALOC.info for more information. The Documents link will help you find this case, others, and references to the Alabama Code. The Forums link will take you to our 400-member message board.

We just had our 2011 Statewide in Birmingham, where 67 of us, almost all openly armed, met at Jim and Nicks.

sudden valley gunner

I have my CC and tried OC and just wasn't comfortable with it personally. Yes, I'm one of those " IT'S NO ONES DAMN BUSINESS IF I AM CARRYING " and I don't care what anyone thinks. Where I live OC is spotty. Some places don't have ord. against it and some do and the ones that don't doesn't mean the cops aren't going to hassle you over it. Now go ahead and bash me if you want, but I won't apologize for preferring CC over OC ( No, I do not care if anyone OC's ). That is your business and not mine!

I am glad you are carrying. I have friends that will never OC, they are never comfortable I have one that thinks OC is wrong tactically, it is trying to "poke" the cops, etc. As long as you don't take the attitude that we shouldn't OC and then use the tired reasons why CC is better I don't think anyone here would have a problem with your chosen method of carry.

checkmate

State v. Reid (http://aloc.info/docs/statevreid.pdf) is from 1840. OC has always been legal in Alabama. It's practice died out several decades ago, but is being restored.

Visit ALOC.info for more information. The Documents link will help you find this case, others, and references to the Alabama Code. The Forums link will take you to our 400-member message board.

We just had our 2011 Statewide in Birmingham, where 67 of us, almost all openly armed, met at Jim and Nicks.

Thank you very much. I will be sure to do a lot of research on this. I would love to participate in one of these OC gatherings if I'm in state and able during them. I'll be sure to check the website you gave me for dates. Thanks again.

Red Dawg

Well, just my .02, but the way I carry depends on what I'm doing. Where I'm going. Who I'm with, etc...Sometimes it's just best to CC. Sometimes it's best to OC. For instance, when I carry in my favorite local restaurants, the wife prefers I CC, so we don't "make a scene". She's way not anti anything. She is in the research, shopping, and shooting to figure out what she wants to have "place". It's fun, because we get to shoot all kinds of cool little guns. But, sometimes, when things MAY get hairy, she likes my .357 for all the bad world to see.

~*'Phoenix'*~

Unfortunately, until FL SB234 passes, I have to carry concealed, and because FL has a crappily written statute, you can be arrested in the event of even an accidental exposure. Between this reason and law against campus carry, I can hardly ever carry. Only when I'm going to the store, petsitting for a friend, etc. Half the stores have private armed security guards (and while I'll feel safer there than with my campus' public safety officers who have, maybe, stunguns and handcuffs), they watch you. I've had to go up to the counter and hand over my revolver once and get it on the way out. I am thankful I didn't have to try to explain in my poor spanish, since they hardly speak english, and wait for 2 or more police to come over and straighten it out about my CWL. They don't actually have any no weapon signs though...
Anyway, I will OC, not to be a jerk, or macho, but just to be able to relax. Sure, I know a few people are going to flip out. But I'll go with slacks/button down, or short/t-shirt with a overshirt. If anyone isn't paying attention, they won't notice. If they really want to see it, they will, and I'll have some fun (or un-fun) letting them know about the law change. I just hope I don't get any 'guy-with-a-gun' calls.
I'll still CC in Broward most of the time, but won't be worrying about printing or accidental exposure. When I'm somewhere else I'll just openly Open Carry when I feel like it, and hope for the best
Carry On!:banana:

protect our rights

Unfortunately, until FL SB234 passes, I have to carry concealed, and because FL has a crappily written statute, you can be arrested in the event of even an accidental exposure. Between this reason and law against campus carry, I can hardly ever carry. Only when I'm going to the store, petsitting for a friend, etc. Half the stores have private armed security guards (and while I'll feel safer there than with my campus' public safety officers who have, maybe, stunguns and handcuffs), they watch you. I've had to go up to the counter and hand over my revolver once and get it on the way out. I am thankful I didn't have to try to explain in my poor spanish, since they hardly speak english, and wait for 2 or more police to come over and straighten it out about my CWL. They don't actually have any no weapon signs though...
Anyway, I will OC, not to be a jerk, or macho, but just to be able to relax. Sure, I know a few people are going to flip out. But I'll go with slacks/button down, or short/t-shirt with a overshirt. If anyone isn't paying attention, they won't notice. If they really want to see it, they will, and I'll have some fun (or un-fun) letting them know about the law change. I just hope I don't get any 'guy-with-a-gun' calls.
I'll still CC in Broward most of the time, but won't be worrying about printing or accidental exposure. When I'm somewhere else I'll just openly Open Carry when I feel like it, and hope for the best
Carry On!:banana:

Well do whatever you feel most comfortable with. I hope that you do chose to OC a lot of the time, as this will help get the general population "used" to the sight of guns. At first you will probably get flack from the local LE, but stay strong and eventually they to will fold under the OC movement. Good luck.