• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interrogative & request assistance

Billy

Warm greetings there ~

Hope you folks can assist me.

I'm planning on riding my motorcycle from Michigan to the East Coast and will be traveling through your state. I prefer to openly-carry my pistol and have a Michigan-issued Concealed Pistol License (CPL).

Would I be 'good to go' to travel through Maryland?

Do you folks get hassled a lot for open-carry down there?

Any insight you could share with me will certainly assist in my planning.

Thanks kindly and take care y'all...

Respectfully,
Billy

Mr H

Sorry to say, there are no carry provisions here for ANY out-of-stater, and next to none for residents.

IMO, I would unload the mag/cylinder, Pack the ammo in a different container, and put an internal lock on the sucker before crossing into the state.

Billy

Roger that, Mister H ~

Man, that's terrible! the citizens of Maryland are suffering from unjust 'laws' down there.

Even so, thanks kindly for the quick response as it'll help me in my planning.

Have a safe and pleasant evening, sir.

Respectfully,
Billy

Dreamer

Billy,

"Mr.H" is completely correct with regards to carry by citizens. The joke in MD is that MD doesn't recognize ANY state's permits--sometimes, not even their own... :banghead:

I live in NC, and have NC and PA permits, with a UT pending. When I travel to MD to visit my stepdaughters, I must stop at the VA/MD border and do what I call the "border dance" on the VA side before crossing into the People's Republic of MD. Take off my firearm, unload it, and lock the gun and ammo in separate cases, an put those cases in a part of my vehicle where they are inaccessible from the passenger compartment.

Under MD law, you may NOT carry a firearm in ANY configuration without a MD License to Carry a Handgun. No OC, No CC, No ULOC, not even transporting it in your vehicle (unless you are traveling THROUGH MD without stopping, per FOPA transport rules, or are going to or from a range, gunsmith, store or other "state approved location"...)

On a motorcycle, you're going to be hard-pressed to travel through MD without running afoul of MD and Federal law, unless your bike has a set of hard-shell bags in the back that are lockable and inaccessible by the driver.

I'd suggest choosing a route that completely avoids MD altogether. Don't even go through it if you can avoid it. And DEFINITELY don't make MD a destination--spending money in MD as a tourist just feeds the State (with taxes) and helps them perpetuate their agenda of repression, unconstitutional abuse of power, and blatant disregard for fundamental human rights.

Spend your time (and MONEY) in VA, or PA, or NC. And then send copies of your vacation receipts to the MD Governor, Attorney General and Treasurer with letters explaining that they lost your tourism business because they don't recognize your FUNDAMENTAL HUMAN RIGHT to self defense.

Good luck on your trip. Come to NC--we are VERY supportive and accepting of OC down here, and our BBQ and seafood are WAY better...:monkey

Last edited:

Dreamer

Sorry to say, there are no carry provisions here for ANY out-of-stater, and next to none for residents.

Technically this is not entirely true. LEOSA-2004 allows (per Federal provisions) for ANY sworn LEO with the power of arrest (and qualified retired LEOs) to CC in ANY jurisdiction in the Union, and the only credentials that are required to do so are LEO credentials. So technically, even in MD (or DC, or CA, or even NYC), a State Trooper, Deputy, or City cop from ANY other state or jurisdiction can CC legally, and the only "permit" he needs is his badge and LE ID...

However, there have been cases in MD where out-of-state LEOs have been harassed and even CHARGED with illegal CC by MSP. (to my knowledge, however, any time this has happened, the Courts have thrown out the charges...)

But for citizens, yeah, "Mr.H" is pretty much correct--MD rarely issues permits to it's own subjects, and they DO NO issue permits to non-residents, and they DEFINITELY don't recognize other state's permits.

Heck, sometimes, they don't even recognize Federal Law... :banghead:

Last edited:

Mr H

Technically this is not entirely true. LEOSA-2004 allows (per Federal provisions) for ANY sworn LEO with the power of arrest (and qualified retired LEOs) to CC in ANY jurisdiction in the Union, and the only credentials that are required to do so are LEO credentials. So technically, even in MD (or DC, or CA, or even NYC), a State Trooper, Deputy, or City cop from ANY other state or jurisdiction can CC legally, and the only "permit" he needs is his badge and LE ID...

Well, I thought about commenting on that, but guessed anyone in such a role would know to look that stuff up...

Now... about that seafood...............................

;-))

Dreamer

Although traveling through MD with firearms is a hassle, and VERY inconvenient, avoiding MD because it's a PITA isn't the PRIMARY reason that gun owners and 2A supporters should avoid MD.

We should all avoid MD because if we don't go there, we won't be tempted to spend money there. We need to BOYCOTT the entire state--gas stations, restaurants, hotels, tourist spots, shopping centers, everything.

DO NOT spend a single cent in MD if you value Freedom, Liberty, and your fundamental human rights. Spending money in MD puts taxes into the coffers of the local, county, and state governments, and directly contributes to the further subjugation and oppression of MD residents and visitors to that state.

The ONLY thing that O'Malley and his ilk understand is dollar signs. They don't believe in Human Rights. They don't believe in individual responsibility. They don't believe in personal sovereignty. They don't believe in ANY god, moral code, or system of ethics. They ONLY believe in increasing and perpetuating their own power over others, and their own sociopathic agenda of TOTAL control.

DO NOT spend a single cent in MD until they are Shall Issue, OC-friendly, and have reciprocity with other states. Any money spent in MD is contributing to the demise of Freedom. Period. End of discussion...

Boycott MD...

Last edited: