• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun-Carrying Neighbors Save Women From Dog Attack

6L6GC

dogs can be very dangerous

my wife and I was returning home from a walk around the neighborhood when an adult very large German shepard came charging at us from the back yard of a neighbor's house. He was barking/snarling and coming straight for us. I instinctively placed myself between the dog and my wife. We both stood there (as opposed to running). I drew my Model 96 Beretta 40 caliber and flipped the safety to the fire position.

As the dog neared me he slowed to a walk and had his head down. His ears was laid back and a ridge of hair was standing up along his spine. His tail was curled high behind him: classic attack stance. When he was about 10 feet away I took a slow step toward him and he immediately stopped and stood there eyeing me. He then started walking closer, barking all the while.

At this point he was in the street where we were, about 4 houses from where his owner lived. Just then his owner came running frantically down the street yelling for the dog. The owner grabbed the collar of the dog, then looked at me (with contempt/anger) and said "what the hell do you think you're gonna do?". "Whatever it takes to stop the threat" was my emotionless response.

"If you shot my dog I'd have your ass" he threatened. "If you don't want your dog to get shot then don't let him attack people and you won't have a problem" I advised. "I'll call the police" he angrily said. "Tell you what" I said, "I'll save you the trouble". I flipped out my phone and started to dial 9-1-1 and he said "just forget it".

"Sorry pal, but I will do whatever it takes to protect my wife and myself" I insisted. "Now I can make the call or you can, whichever" I continued. He turned to leave and I reholstered the Beretta. He turned back and gave me one last sneer and the wife and I walked on down the street.

I would have dispatched the dog in a heart beat if I had to. I don't really dislike dogs but I utterly despise dog owners who think that their dogs are free to attack people. This p**** didn't appologize that his dog was attacking us, had no conern about his dog bitting my wife or me, but rather was offended that I was willing to defend us.

D_Weezy

You showed great restraint. Did you mean, that you continued to call the Police, or you continued to walk? I would have called the Police after the incident and made a report. If it were to ever happen again to you or anyone else, the previous incident would already be on file. Another thing, he could have went home and called the Police to say, you were brandishing a firearm. You know, whomever calls the Police first is the victim.

Jack House

This p**** didn't appologize that his dog was attacking us, had no conern about his dog bitting my wife or me, but rather was offended that I was willing to defend us.
He should have been thankful that you didn't shoot the dog, rather than being a douche bag.

6L6GC

I tried to show restraint

I know that if I ever have to actually use the gun for self defense there will be lots of LEOs involved and it will be a big head ache. That, plus I consider using the firearm to be an actual last course of action. I perhaps should have called the police, but my gut feeling at the moment was that the incident was over. I guess its a good thing I wasn't wrong that time. If he had called the cops it wouldn't have been good for me. But, thankfully, this time, all is well that ends well.

The man should have been sorry/embarrassed that his dog came after us, but.........

not all pet owners are responsible people

Uber_Olafsun

Would have been funny if cops and animal control came along and gave him a citation for failure to control his dog. Always found it funny they blame breeds of dogs and no idiot owners for actions. In our apartment complex we have had someone attacked by a dog even though they have breed restrictions. A guy nearby has a pit bull that is the sweetest thing and plays well with all the kids and dogs.

OldCurlyWolf

I know that if I ever have to actually use the gun for self defense there will be lots of LEOs involved and it will be a big head ache. That, plus I consider using the firearm to be an actual last course of action. I perhaps should have called the police, but my gut feeling at the moment was that the incident was over. I guess its a good thing I wasn't wrong that time. If he had called the cops it wouldn't have been good for me. But, thankfully, this time, all is well that ends well.

The man should have been sorry/embarrassed that his dog came after us, but.........

not all pet owners are responsible people

In my profession I often run into loose dogs in the street. The vast majority of the time they are not a problem. I have had a few present to me like that shepard did, but most of the time when I advance they retreat. The very first one that acts as that shepard continued to to after you advanced is dead, even if I have to grab them and break their neck to do so. If they will do that to me, I am double the size of even a large shepard, what will they do to a child or small adult?

And YES you should have called the police and animal control. The IDIOT should have gotten at least a citation for letting his dog run loose.

Last edited: