• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MOCA open carry event at Portland City Hall,Tuesday, October 12th , 2010

ep0k

I hope they let me speak again, since I spoke at the last one. I'm thinking of kind of posing my talking points based on questions. Like, Mr. Skolnik, how do you plan on enforcing this? Are you going to 2 armed guards per entrance, plus metal detectors at each entrance to each building you want to prevent firearms in? How are you going to pay for this increase in payroll and equipment? Etc.

Skolnik said, and I quote, "We normally don't allow people who speak at the first meeting to speak at subsequent meetings, but we don't intend to follow that rigidly with this measure" or words very specifically to that effect.

Plus, dude, it's city hall. If you don't have the right to speak there we have more to worry about than OC at the civic center.

crdonov

oct 12th

ill be there, im not good speaking if front of a crowd so i havnt prepared a speech. ill be there to support moca! see you guys on the 12th.

donovan
xd-over

Last edited:

crdonov

portland public safety meeting

well shane, forrest, and norman, you guys did a great job!!!!!!! it sucks it going to city counsil. keep me informed. talk to you guys soon.

xd-over

ep0k

Shane, Norman and I gave speeches using facts, data, logic, reason, etc. A couple of moonbats from Maine Citizens Against Handgun Violence talked about their feelings and Skolnik pushed his agenda anyway.

So, we're on for next month. No doubt in my mind this will die in committee but I think I speak for the group when I say it will be important to be there to watch it die.

rhenriksen

Thanks for standing up against the moonbats, guys.

Shane, Norman and I gave speeches using facts, data, logic, reason, etc. A couple of moonbats from Maine Citizens Against Handgun Violence talked about their feelings and Skolnik pushed his agenda anyway.

So, we're on for next month. No doubt in my mind this will die in committee but I think I speak for the group when I say it will be important to be there to watch it die.

boyscout399

Thanks for standing up against the moonbats, guys.

It made me so angry that they didn't even take the time to look up the facts before speaking. That lawyer really burned me when he stood up and said, I'm a lawyer and the permitting process doesn't require training and is up to the discretion of the local police chief. He obviously has not even read the law he's commenting on. He should go before the bar and they should yank his license for such a blatant ignorance of the law he's supposed to be counciling on.

hightecrebel

It made me so angry that they didn't even take the time to look up the facts before speaking. That lawyer really burned me when he stood up and said, I'm a lawyer and the permitting process doesn't require training and is up to the discretion of the local police chief. He obviously has not even read the law he's commenting on. He should go before the bar and they should yank his license for such a blatant ignorance of the law he's supposed to be counciling on.

It doesn't.

25 M.R.S.A. § 2003. Permits to carry concealed firearms
Section 1, subsection E, second paragraph:

As an alternative way of fully satisfying this requirement, an applicant may
personally demonstrate knowledge of handgun safety to an issuing authority, if
the issuing authority is willing to evaluate an applicant's personal demonstration
of such knowledge. The issuing authority is not required to offer this 2nd option.

I'm still trying to figure out why I thought it required 21+ for a number of years

Last edited:

Maine CWP Training

Very few issuing authorities will evaluate individual’s competence due to liability and cost factors. I know of only 2 in the state and then only in rare circumstances.

Yeah, Maine you can have a Concealed Firearm Permit at 18 but you can’t buy a handgun until you’re 21. That’s Augusta for you.

boyscout399

It doesn't.

I'm still trying to figure out why I thought it required 21+ for a number of years

It does require training, if your training was from an unofficial source (like your dad trained you) then you don't have a certificate to send, but you can demonstrate to the issuing authority your level of training to satisfy the requirement.

ep0k

I called him out directly on that.

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
Very few issuing authorities will evaluate individual’s competence due to liability and cost factors. I know of only 2 in the state and then only in rare circumstances.

Yeah, Maine you can have a Concealed Firearm Permit at 18 but you can’t buy a handgun until you’re 21. That’s Augusta for you.

you CAN purchase a handgun at 18... private sale, not through an FFL. and thats Federal, not Augusta.

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
I hope that everyone realizes what Skolnik did here. He made sure that our big brother, the NRA was left sitting at home because only Open Carry was at risk and Concealed Carry wasn't. Of course, as soon as the meeting started this all changed and the original CCW exemption that had been created simply so the NRA would NOT come was dismissed and taken away. Thus, Skolnik had what he wanted, while not having to contend with the NRA in any way and thus only needing to tread on MOCA. It was quite the scheme to divide us... and obviously a few people here know my true feelings but nonetheless we will fight this one more time before it dies at the hands of the committee, and MOCA will not settle for anything less than the full defeat of the bill. Call me an idealist, but I know what is right and I will fight for what is right no matter what. We have nothing to gain from this, MOCA gets absolutely nothing in return for fighting this and doing what is right. We simply do this because we, as Americans have a duty to protect our rights!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
snip..... We simply do this because we, as Americans have a duty to protect our rights!

Hear, hear!
icon14.png

I'll provide a soap box for you anytime.