Thread: Strange LEO (sort-of) encounter

Strange LEO (sort-of) encounter

I'll bet this has never happened to any of you:

This past weekend, I'm in my local Wal-Mart looking for my favorite brand of frozen burritos. I see a Wal-Mart employee at the end of the aisle, so I roll my cart on over to ask him where they've been moved to. As I engage the employee in conversation, I am passed, left shoulder to left shoulder, by one of Bowling Green's finest in full uniformed, shiny badged, splendor. I offer a kind "How ya doin'?" and look back to the Wal-Mart employee for the answer to my burrito enquiry.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see the officer pull a full 180 degree "pivot" and jump into what can only be described as a "FULL TACTICAL CROUCH"!

He has obviously spotted my firearm.

He is frozen in a position with his hands splayed about a foot away from his front pockets, arms slightly bent at the elbows, knees shoulder width apart and slightly bent, torso in a forward cant.....he looks like he's ready to.....wrestle? Jump over a shelf? Start dancing? Whatever it is he looks very.....ready.

I see Wal-Mart Guy do your classic "lean out and look behind me over my shoulder".

I'm thinking "Here it comes!". The inevitable "police confrontation". I am now purposefully ignoring Officer Jumpy (while keeping a very close eye on him). I follow Wal-Mart Guy around to the next aisle and turn on my voice recorder in order to not have to do so when approached by Officer Jumpy. I'm watching both ends of the next aisle wondering "Will he approach directly from that end, or approach behind me from this end?" so I keep glancing over my shoulder.

I continue shopping for another 15 minutes.

Hmmmmm. He's probably waiting for backup. I now fully expect to be approached by a group of officers. This is only getting worse.

Another 10 minutes. I'm headed to checkout.

Ahhhhhh! They're going to get me as I exit! Must not want an armed confrontation with all the customers milling about. I'm now dreading walking out the exit to be swarmed by SWAT.

Well...here we go! Out the front door!

Where I spy a single unoccupied squad car parked at the curb. Obviously belonging to the officer inside the store.

No cops? Hmmmmm. Strange. I distinctly remember a uniformed officer going all "tactical" in the aisle next to the burritos. Think he's still frozen there in the "full ready" position?

I loaded my groceries into my vehicle and drove home.

Has anyone ever had an obvious "reaction" by a LEO, yet not been approached?

I'm wondering: Maybe after his initial "surprise", I finally encountered an officer that figured it out on his own? What? No authoritative posturing? No preaching or need to investigate?

What's the world coming to when an opely armed citizen gets left alone by the cops?

I think you missed seeing him any more in the store 'cause he was in the bathroom cleaning his britches out.........

Banned
    I think the simplest explanation is that the LEO has a sense of humor. You didn't play along with his little joke, so he moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    I think the simplest explanation is that the LEO has a sense of humor. You didn't play along with his little joke, so he moved on.
    Agreed

sounds like a poor sense of humor...

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    My guess is he radio'd in for back up and was told to chill out you weren't doing anything unlawful.

Oh man,that has to be the funniest story I have read to date on this forum! To bad you didn't have some of those glasses with the hidden camera on them. Oh man!!!! That's definetely one to tell your grandkids.
    He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent which will reach to himself. -- Thomas Paine (1737--1809), Dissertation on First Principles of Government, 1795

He was probably very surprised because he didn't notice it at first, then did his tactical crouch thingy and was horribly embarrassed after.
    Last edited by simmonsjoe; 09-16-2010 at 08:43 AM.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Quote Originally Posted by axeanda45 View Post
    I think you missed seeing him any more in the store 'cause he was in the bathroom cleaning his britches out.........

Maybe he found the betty crockers homemade doughnut kits. He was so excited, he ran as soon as possible to the front counter so he could go home and start baking. It would explain his stealthy 180 move, hoping no one sees him buy up the entire stock.
    Last edited by zack991; 09-16-2010 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zack991 View Post
    Maybe he found the betty crockers homemade doughnut kits. He was so excited, he ran as soon as possible to the front counter so he could go home and start baking. It would explain his stealthy 180 move, hoping no one sees him buy up the entire stock.
    Yeah, or maybe they were out and he thought Superlite27 got the last one.
    Last edited by rodbender; 09-16-2010 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zack991 View Post
    Or maybe after a couple hundred dozen of those homemade doughnut kits, he pulled every muscle, tendon, and ligament from the waist down, going into that tactical crouch...and once down in that crouch, there was just no getting back up!

Well that could explain it.......now I made myself hungry for "a" pastry. DAMN

I can picture the whole thing happening in my head, like a movie. It is hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Daylen View Post
    sounds like a poor sense of humor...
    If it was merely his attempt at humor.

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    My guess is he radio'd in for back up and was told to chill out you weren't doing anything unlawful.
    Quite possibly. It's also possible he jumped into the position when he spotted your firearm, then had more sane, rational thoughts when you didn't react as he thought you might.

More disturbingly, he did this so that you would react? If so, that's just plain wrong (not to mention illegal). Have you considered simply reporting the event to the police in person, and let them sort it out? In-house retraining is quite common so as to help avoid these sorts of confrontations.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

next time, call the cops and tell them there's a white crown vic parked in the fire lane in front of the store...