Thread: Constitutional Carry?

Constitutional Carry?

Was wondering if anyone has had a discussion or emailed their local candidates about their position and possible introduction of a similar bill for Idaho?

i was wondering the same thing

Do we not already have constitutional carry? Open Carry

At one point in time, before all of this concealed carry craze that swept the country, this is exactly how Idaho was. You could conceal anywhere without a license. I wouldn't mind a return to complete concealed/open constitutional carry but I doubt it's going to happen anytime soon here with all of the other "more important" issues on the table.

was Meridian ID, just moved to Killeen, Texas, USA

Cool

Not a bad idea, maybe a few inquires to local govt might be in order.

Idaho is among one of the most likely States to Institute Constitutional Carry in addition to Arizona, Alaska, and Vermont. Furthremore, it would not surprise me if the following States joined suit: 1. Montana, 2. South Dakota, 3. Wyoming, 4. Colorado, 5. Utah, 6. New Mexico, 7. New Hampshire, 8. Nevada, and 9. Maine.
    Last edited by aadvark; 09-20-2010 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aadvark View Post
    Idaho is among one of the most likely States to Institute Constitutional Carry in addition to Arizona, Alaska, and Vermont. Furthremore, it would not surprise me if the following States joined suit: 1. Montana, 2. South Dakota, 3. Wyoming, 4. Colorado, 5. Utah, 6. New Mexico, 7. New Hampshire, 8. Nevada, and 9. Maine.
    There will be a bill in the next Utah legislative session for Constitutional Carry.

rpyne:

I thought so, and I am sure other States will follow!

aadvark

P.S.: I can almost bet, although The Mormon Church will not like it, that Utah will go Constitutional Carry next year!

Quote Originally Posted by aadvark View Post
    rpyne:

I thought so, and I am sure other States will follow!

aadvark

P.S.: I can almost bet, although The Mormon Church will not like it, that Utah will go Constitutional Carry next year!
    I don't believe the Mormon Church will even weigh in on the legislation.

Huh? Man I thought the church would support the legislation. This is completely contrary to what I thought the church's position was historically. Are you saying that LDS has changed course and is anti now?
    Last edited by ecocks; 09-27-2010 at 01:48 AM.

From http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/CFchurch.html

The following churches have notified BCI of their intent to prohibit firearms on their premises.
    The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
    All "houses of worship" in Utah
    Seems they are anti-gun when it comes to their property. Not sure what they would say though.

Wow. Given their history, I am surprised.

Constitutional Carry

Here in Wyoming, we are set to introduce Constitutional Carry this coming legislative session. It will be interesting to see how it goes. In our budget session last yr, we got it through the House with no problem. It was killed in the Senate, mainly due to the police lobby group. We will have a new Governor, hopefully Taylor Haynes. So we will see if we can get it through. Last year we got through the best Firearms Freedom bill in the nation, ours has teeth in it. So we'll see.

Senator Russ Fulcher (District 21) has expressed a willingness to look at the issue and Senate candidate Lucas Baumbach (District 17) definitely supports it. I know of other legislators who are likely to support Constitutional Carry as well. We need someone to actually write the bill. The bill would have to accurately explain exactly how it would modify existing law. We want to continue offering permits in order to allow reciprocity, and we must decide if the proposed Constitutional Carry provision would apply to all the weapons covered by the concealed weapons permit or just to firearms. We want to get this put forth during this legislative session if it is at all possible.

Quote Originally Posted by hitbackfirst View Post
    We need someone to actually write the bill.
    That is interesting. Here in Utah, the legislature has a staff of attorneys that write the actual legislation when one of the legislators tells them what they want the bill to accomplish.

Simple Math:

The Mormon Church of Utah=Hypocrites