• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Constitutional Carry?

jimd_21

Was wondering if anyone has had a discussion or emailed their local candidates about their position and possible introduction of a similar bill for Idaho?

IndianaBoy79

Do we not already have constitutional carry? Open Carry :)

At one point in time, before all of this concealed carry craze that swept the country, this is exactly how Idaho was. You could conceal anywhere without a license. I wouldn't mind a return to complete concealed/open constitutional carry but I doubt it's going to happen anytime soon here with all of the other "more important" issues on the table.

aadvark

Idaho is among one of the most likely States to Institute Constitutional Carry in addition to Arizona, Alaska, and Vermont. Furthremore, it would not surprise me if the following States joined suit: 1. Montana, 2. South Dakota, 3. Wyoming, 4. Colorado, 5. Utah, 6. New Mexico, 7. New Hampshire, 8. Nevada, and 9. Maine.

Last edited:

rpyne

Idaho is among one of the most likely States to Institute Constitutional Carry in addition to Arizona, Alaska, and Vermont. Furthremore, it would not surprise me if the following States joined suit: 1. Montana, 2. South Dakota, 3. Wyoming, 4. Colorado, 5. Utah, 6. New Mexico, 7. New Hampshire, 8. Nevada, and 9. Maine.

There will be a bill in the next Utah legislative session for Constitutional Carry.

aadvark

rpyne:

I thought so, and I am sure other States will follow!

aadvark

P.S.: I can almost bet, although The Mormon Church will not like it, that Utah will go Constitutional Carry next year!

rpyne

rpyne:

I thought so, and I am sure other States will follow!

aadvark

P.S.: I can almost bet, although The Mormon Church will not like it, that Utah will go Constitutional Carry next year!

I don't believe the Mormon Church will even weigh in on the legislation.

ecocks

Huh? Man I thought the church would support the legislation. This is completely contrary to what I thought the church's position was historically. Are you saying that LDS has changed course and is anti now?

Last edited:

Wyocowboy

Constitutional Carry

Here in Wyoming, we are set to introduce Constitutional Carry this coming legislative session. It will be interesting to see how it goes. In our budget session last yr, we got it through the House with no problem. It was killed in the Senate, mainly due to the police lobby group. We will have a new Governor, hopefully Taylor Haynes. So we will see if we can get it through. Last year we got through the best Firearms Freedom bill in the nation, ours has teeth in it. So we'll see.

hitbackfirst

Senator Russ Fulcher (District 21) has expressed a willingness to look at the issue and Senate candidate Lucas Baumbach (District 17) definitely supports it. I know of other legislators who are likely to support Constitutional Carry as well. We need someone to actually write the bill. The bill would have to accurately explain exactly how it would modify existing law. We want to continue offering permits in order to allow reciprocity, and we must decide if the proposed Constitutional Carry provision would apply to all the weapons covered by the concealed weapons permit or just to firearms. We want to get this put forth during this legislative session if it is at all possible.