• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

gunsmithing on a carry weapon?

irish52084

I've been thinking of doing some work on my pistols and just wondered if many other people tune their guns for carry?

I'm thinking of a trigger-job for my cz sp-01 and glock 32. I have a cz82 as well, but I'm not real sure what kind of work I can do with it yet. I plan on duracoating it later this year to see how it turns out, but as far a trigger and sights I dont know what's available.

Aside from that, what do you guys do to your carry pistols? Any suggestions on a gunsmith? Does tuning a carry gun raise any legal issues?

amlevin

I've been thinking of doing some work on my pistols and just wondered if many other people tune their guns for carry?

I'm thinking of a trigger-job for my cz sp-01 and glock 32. I have a cz82 as well, but I'm not real sure what kind of work I can do with it yet. I plan on duracoating it later this year to see how it turns out, but as far a trigger and sights I dont know what's available.

Aside from that, what do you guys do to your carry pistols? Any suggestions on a gunsmith? Does tuning a carry gun raise any legal issues?

Go to the CZ disfcussion forum.
http://www.czforumsite.info/index.php

There are several posts (some with pictures) on doing your own trigger job on the SP-01. For me, I like the trigger on my SP-01 as it is. Nice easy, predictable, 2-stage action.

sirpuma

Thoughts from my bench

Here's my view on super tuning a carry gun. Whatever you do, leave the trigger alone unless it's HORRIBLE. You should have between a 4 and 6 lbs pull on a carry pistol to ensure that it doesn't accidentally go off while drawing it. Save the super light hair triggers for the target guns that only see the light of day at bench matches. I put Trijicon Tritium night sights on my XD and that's it. I would love to get one of those laser/flashlight combo units to put on it at night. But I keep the trigger stock. If you're trigger has a real long pull before letting off, you could tighten that up, but leave yourself at least a quarter inch pull before the let off. If it's course or gritty, polish up the sear and hammer relationship to smooth it, but try and maintain the 4-6 lbs range. A daily carry is a duty gun and shouldn't go off with a light touch. You should have to MEAN to pull the trigger to make it fire. Often just the sight of the firearm will deter a threat so it doesn't always help to plug holes in a person if it's not needed.

G20-IWB24/7

Personally, no.

Add-ons like sights, lasergrips, or finger groove mag extentions are fine and dandy, but the operational integrity of the weapon is the same as it is when it left the factory. If one can not make combat-distance hits accurately with their weapon as it came from the factory, they need a different gun.

My 1911 has smooth grips.

My Glocks have nightsights and standard 5.5lb connectors.

Nothing wrong with having a suped-up race gun or range gun to use for recreation, but I leave the defensive tools relatively un-modified.

Tomas

The most I've done on any of my carries over the years is grips, sights, finish, and that sort of usual "aftermarket" stuff.

On my last two and BUG I have polished ramps and some internal parts (smoothed trigger, but left long pull and pounds required alone.)

On current "new gun" I have removed/smoothed/reshaped some of the external edges and corners so that it no longer digs into the holster and hangs up while being drawn. Polished ramp. Polished some internals to smooth trigger. Left long pull and pounds required to fire alone. added Hogue grip.

Essentially mine are left factory other than very minor smoothing and polishing.

(No way do I ever want a touchy trigger on a carry weapon.)

Last edited:

k.rollin

I've done a little bit of work on my full size M&P 40. As stock, I had a trigger pull of just over six pounds that was really gritty feeling and lacked a definitive tactile reset. To fix that I weighed my options between the Apex Tactical Specialties Hard Sear/Ultimate Striker Block combo and their Duty/Carry Action Enhancement Kit (DCAEK), which included trigger springs. I wound up with just the hard sear and new striker block, which improved the reset and smoothed out the pull. Pull weight also dropped to about four pounds (the DCAEK will keep it t about six, and still improve the pull). I also heat stippled my backstrap to do something about the slick grips, and come November I intend on installing the Apex Tactical Specialties Reset Assist Mechanism. Maybe someday I'll have the entire frame modified by someplace like Burwell Gunsmithing or Boresight Specialties.

BobR

I must be the odd man out. My carry piece has been worked over by Ted Yost. He took a good gun and made it a great gun. I say do whatever you want to your carry gun to make sure you are 100% sure it will work each time, every time. If you can afford or desire the extras that do not inhibit the functioning of the gun, have at it, IMO.

bob

Beretta92FSLady

I replaced the factory trigger spring in my Beretta 92FS to a "D" spring. The trigger is about 7 lb. on the first pull and 3 lb. on the subsequent pulls. I also switched the rear factory sight out for an adjustable sight (the factory sight doesn't line up properly for me personally for some reason).

I would not recommend that a first time carrier carry a sidearm with a hammer, especially a lightened trigger.

Self-control in a self-defense situation must be maintained. You must be honest with yourself when asking yourself if you can maintain control if you have to pull the trigger, and make sure every shot is conscious and intentional. You would be shocked how easy it is to pull the trigger back, even a 12 pound trigger after the first shot. You are worked up, pissed, scared, emotional, in a defensive mode, worried about the wife, the kids, your own life, people around you, the perp, going to prison, being arrested, etc...be careful out there people.

I almost forgot. I have a conversion kit for my Beretta 92FS, so all of my shooting is off the same frame, same trigger, same sights, same grip, everything but the caliber.

Last edited:

irish52084

I don't have an issue with any of my current guns that requires me to modify it to achieve hits at defense ranges, it's simply a preference thing. I'd like to smooth and lighten my double action pull and clean up the single action, but not to the level of a competition gun. 4-5lbs single and 7-8lbs double would be what I'd like. I'm sure this will be achievable without sacrificing reliability.
Thanks to everyone for the input, I think a change of a few springs and some polishing is in my near future. lol