• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clark County deputy's son dies in accidental shooting

DEROS72

http://www.nwcn.com/news/washington...toddler-shoots-himself-in-head-102955294.html

As tragic as this is the anti gun groups may not exploit this one since it was law enforcement.If this happened to anyone of us we would be in jail for negligent homicide.Just another case of LE getting free passes.SPD says it will have a new officer training program in nlight of the homeless man shooting.This officer should be in custody for at minimum manslaughter.Would not any of us already be in jail??
Now my heart is with this deputies family .I can imagine how he must feel .

Jayd1981

There are commenters saying we need to ban guns. I think he should be treated as if he were anyother person (the officer). If he was negligent, then he should be charged. I think it would be kinda hard to not be negligent in this case, but anythings possible.

I did find one comment kinda interesting. "I keep my guns empty, in a steel gun locker (cost $75) with the gun locks on. The gun locks which BTW are a mandatory part of the purchase of any weapon". Does anyone actually use the gun locks? I know they come with every gun and the sheriff departments give away free gun locks, but are they actually usefull? I keep my firearms in a large heavy steel safe (a lot more then $75 unfortunately) except for my home defense piece. However I have no kids so I don't have that worry.

Last edited:

amzbrady

Very sad. I have a question. Should we or should we not expect more from LEO's? They are afterall human, but then they are entrusted with alot of responsibility. Maybe the next law we should work on passing is that ALL LEO have to take and pass law classes, with refresher courses every three years at their own expense. If they screw up, during their employment, then thats it, game over, time to go to work at Lowes.

SaintJacque

Very sad. I have a question. Should we or should we not expect more from LEO's? They are afterall human, but then they are entrusted with alot of responsibility. Maybe the next law we should work on passing is that ALL LEO have to take and pass law classes, with refresher courses every three years at their own expense. If they screw up, during their employment, then thats it, game over, time to go to work at Lowes.

We should expect AT LEAST as much from LEOs as we do from everyone else. That is, be responsible with your firearms. As much as this is deeply tragic, and I'm sure the father is devastated right now - the fact is what Deros said is right. If any of us did this we'd be in a cell right now, awaiting manslaughter charges.

Tomas

Let's put it this way: When any of us ends up in court for any reason, we are expected to have a full understanding of the law so as not to break it. We have all heard, over and over, that ignorance of the law is no excuse.

When considering someone who's JOB is based on enforcing those laws, their knowledge and understanding of of the law should be encyclopedic compared to ours.

The people have delegated them some authority to enforce laws, and the ONLY way they can do that is to know the laws - not guess at them or make them up as they go along.

If a Law Enforcement Officer breaks a law, ignorance of the law is no excuse for them, either.

In fact, they should be held to a higher standard than Joe Public in knowing the laws, since the permission to use the limited authority we granted them to do the job we delegated to them requires intimate knowledge and understanding of the law.

What was the question again? :lol:

amzbrady

We should expect AT LEAST as much from LEOs as we do from everyone else. That is, be responsible with your firearms. As much as this is deeply tragic, and I'm sure the father is devastated right now - the fact is what Deros said is right.

If any of us did this we'd be in a cell right now, awaiting manslaughter charges.

Not necesarily,
Captain White says right now it is being called an accident, but he still has to interview the parents since they were upset and in a state of shock at the hospital Monday night.

The Walla Walla prosecutor's office would not make a comment on whether any charges would be filed.

http://www.kndo.com/Global/story.asp?S=13154991

I am still waiting to see what the outcome is. Sad to see people think because they tell their kids not to touch guns they think they wont, what is sadder is the parents who give their kids the oppurtunity to prove them wrong.

Aryk45XD

+1 to all above

Even after the Emily Randall tradjedy in 2003 they had new "policies and proceedures" to keep officer's families safe. On top of common sense, they were trained and given lock boxes. We keep all of rifles locked and unloaded. Our pistols are all child resistant except for my XD that stays on me or put away if I have my PF9. Besides that, the kids don't pay attention to our guns unless it's to tell us to be careful laying them around. If they want to see one, they always ask, but they still don't like to touch or hold them. They are 3 and 6 and have great values and understanding about real life.

Last edited:

glock23

Shooting

This should be a reminder to all who have kids or not to keep guns out of unauthorized hands....My heart goes out to the deputy and his family I could not imagine loosing my child, but also to something that I could have prevented.