• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Last post

G20-IWB24/7

you think gogo is arrogant and pompous?
i think he is insightful and intelligent.
he is polite and measured, learned and understanding.
he has thick skin and the will to say what he needs to say, without flinching.

+1.

Gogo gets it. Many others do not. Or they get it until they meet a little resistence, then they almost apologize for exercising their rights.

amlevin

Over my lifetime I have found that while some agree with my opinions, there are others that don't. I respect those that disagree and respect them even more if they do it with basic respect and logic.

I have a hard time understanding some of the positions here when it comes to encounters with police officers. Over the years I have carried a firearm (46+) I have had very few encounters. I have never been disarmed in a single one. I have only been asked to see my CPL (back when it was called something else and printed on an 8X10 sheet of paper) once. Over the years I have found that you don't need to "kiss the officer's @$$" but a little courtesy goes a long way. Any of my Open Carry encounters have been coincidental and not the result of a MWAG call. A nod, and "how's it going" has been pretty much the sum total of those encounters.

Some threads remind me of the dogs in my neighborhood. There is kind of a green-belt that passes behind about 30 homes. When someone lets their dog out in their backyard, and it barks, pretty soon ALL the dogs are barking. They bark for about 15 minutes or so and then suddenly stop. It's almost like they figured out that they didn't know why they were barking, it was just because another dog started it.

The last couple of "Encounter with LEO" threads have started out describing the encounter in detail. Most have ended with no adverse results. No arrests, no charges, no being trespassed. One of the latest seems to have had it's genisis in a P!$$ed of party (because he saw someone with a gun that he couldn't intimidate) calling 911 and possibly embellishing the story to get a police response. It had a fairly good outcome, considering. It appeared that from the information AVAILABLE the police were responding as they felt necessary until the situation was sorted out.

Then the dogs started barking. I am not calling anyone here a dog, just using the backyard dog analogy as how things get real noisy, only to find out in the end that nobody really knows ALL of what happened and why.

If OC is to become more mainstream it is going to take cooperation from everyone to make it so. It won't happen if confrontation with police, or for that matter business owners, is continually employed. To constantly rant about all the "violations of ones rights" and "you should sue, they ought to pay for depriving you of your rights", and better yet, the constant reference by more than one to "Jack Booted Thugs", certainly won't go very far in gainining any ground with police officers or lawmakers. Reading some of the posts here one might think that they have gone through some portal and are in the middle of an anarchist's or skin-head's forum.

There are ways to accomplish the desired goal. Confrontation with any police officer on the street is not going to gain any ground at all. Be polite, do what your are told, gather information, and if you feel they were wrong, file a complaint. Your complaint will be more believable if the investigating party doesn't read in the police report terms like "confrontational" or "uncooperative".

As for the animosity that has come out in recent threads, just remember this is a PUBLIC forum and is read by others, some of which are all to happy to gather evidence to support their anti-gun position.

Back to my opening statement, some of you will agree with what I just wrote, some will not. I just hope that those who disagree can do so in a civil manner and with some thought beyond "so you just think we should bend over" type remarks.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
There are ways to accomplish the desired goal. Confrontation with any police officer on the street is not going to gain any ground at all. Be polite, do what your are told, gather information, and if you feel they were wrong, file a complaint. Your complaint will be more believable if the investigating party doesn't read in the police report terms like "confrontational" or "uncooperative".

Very well put.

Mainsail

Mainsail, welcome back. Haven't seen you in a while around here. Lemme ask you a question:
**** How many times have you met handcuffs for doing nothing other than OCing where you were legally able to do so? Of those times, how often did you 'consent' to your detainment?

I’ve worn handcuffs twice, been disarmed at least a dozen times, and been asked to leave Cabela’s more times than I can count. I’ve been arrested once, for which there is ongoing action. I’ve quietly stood there while one or two officers tried to intimidate or humiliate me by their hostile tone and demeanor. In the last two encounters with police, I asked if I were being detained and when the officer said no, I wished him a nice day and walked away. In every instance I remained polite and respectful. I never willingly consented to a detainment, however at the beginning I wasn’t completely clear on what my rights were and probably stayed longer than was necessary. I have never raised my voice, never been confrontational, and never been hostile. I have never called a business or planned city event to ask what their policy was. Oh, and I don’t eat at Denny’s.

Last edited:

DEROS72

Well I'm going to chime in on this .And thanks Mainsail for reiterating that we don't call ahead and ask permission.That's one thing that chaps my ass big time.We don't ask for what is already ours.As for the melodrama you seem to want by making a post that is your last ,grow the f up.We all disagree on issues here, course I know now one ever disagreess with me...huh guys ;0 ) But I have the utmost respect for those that can and still stand together on this issue and still show up at events etc.Some of us have been at this for awhile now and we don't feel we should be giving in to LE everytime they want to harass someone. But the ones I respect are the folks here that can run into a bad situation and continue to march so to speak.Folks that disagree with me on issues still showed up at Willow Lake because we must stand as one in this. That I respect .We'll sort the rest out later.
The Marines I know don't quit ...ever! Especially because the may have got their feelings hurt or someone disagreed with them .
As for the saying "it is now up to someone else to organize a get together" !!What! You don't think we have already been doing this long before you came on the board. A Dennys breakfast meet once a month ...really ??? that difficult.?? Iv'e never heard Bookman complain about doing a coffee meet. I am going to toot my horn just a bit here....to make a point.
In all of these I have had massive help from OCDO folks that don't quit.....

March 28th o9 Willow Lake,July 18th 09 Willow lake ,Oct 25th 09 Rally at Dino's, April 25th 2010. Olympia 2nd ammendment rally,, Teaparty addendance 4 times not to mention attending others ,Downtown rallys to support candidates (some which we were able to get for the 2 A rally) Helping the guys with the OC table at times during the gun shows,I don't know how many TV interviews Iv'e done,and the Willow lake meet this past August.I have managed to get get TV coverage of may of these events.Not to mention all of us that went to the Capital last january to protest the proposed assualt weapons ban.All of this between heart attacks and open heart surgery.Ended up in the hospital again after GoGo and I went to Westlake Mall to support Didier the day after Willow lake. There are many others on this board that bust their ass trying to keep our right to bear arms (Gray Peterson,M1gunr,Mainsail,SVG,GoGo,so many) and you want to quit because someone hurt your feelings or Getting together for breakfast once a month is too hard! Guys drive all the way to Spokane for a meet or drive all the way here for Willow lake . Personally Wish you would stay with us because we need all of us to win this whether we all disagree on other issues or not .If we loose the second ammendment the rest of the Constitution we so love to debate will be a mute point!
If you really were going to leave and had the balls you would have never started this thread in the first place.
So GEt it together and help the rest of us.

amzbrady

Dont go away mad, just go away. I dont understand the need for fan fare. Looking for sympathy maybe, looking to oust someone by the way of others, instead of manning up and meeting the situation head on? I came to this forum for info, advice, direction, and some comradery from like minded people. I have found some great humor here. I have learned alot. I have even had my mind changed on some of the topics here through the knowledge of others. I do respect what others have done for the open carry movement. If I did not agree, I surely would not join here to show them how I dont agree. I have only met 2 of you personally, and found two very iintellegent well versed people on the subject of Open Carry. As far as the marines, I cant put any of them down, or any other branch of the service. I can only say thank you for your service, I hold a certain resentment for our Military only because I was refused the opurtunity to serve this great country based on my eyesight. I have been (in a round of bout sort of way) been told I am an idiot for some of my post's. I dont care what ya think... about me.
As far as some of these threads.... all of the above is a perfect example of sentence run on...

ScottyDog

Agree Brady

I rarely post here but the main reason I "lurk" is that there is a great wealth of information to be learned.

Sure we dont always stay on topic, but sometimes that breaks the monotony. Many of you guys have a great sense of humor, and there have been some of you that have made me nearly pee myself because the posts were so funny.

BerettaLady said it well... We are a diverse bunch of people, and because of that we aren't always going to agree. But we all have one thing in common. We are all Americans that believe in preserving our rights.

Anyway, I'll be sticking around, even if someone posts stuff I dont like or agree with.

Remember..... United we stand, divided we fall

-Scott

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Don’t be confused. Forum suicide is not a new concept; people have done it since way back in the days of the newsgroups. You’re right in that people come and go. I used to be much more involved in this group but backed out a little due to some of the immaturity, silliness, and off-topic nonsense. I open carry for my reasons, not because I’m a political activist or because I’m trying to change the world. It’s legal and it’s preferred for the reasons I stated here.

When the Washington sub-forum became a sort of dumping ground for whatever anyone felt like mentioning, instead of firearms and the open carry thereof, I merely backed out a little. It’s not my forum and I have no ownership over any of it. If I see something of interest I will comment, if not I won’t. No drama. Dave Workman directed Ruby here because she had a lot of questions about open carry and I did my best to help. I don’t understand her leaving, but if that’s what she wants then it’s her decision to make. As for the OP, I never met him or really read much of what he’s written, but if he needs a dramatic exit, he got what he was looking for. Time to move on.

Mainsail,

First, thank you. I believe it is because of you and others that my carry has been hassle free in FW and Tacoma.

Literally I am confused. I have met and socialized with 69Charger many times. He is a nice guy and I enjoy his perspective. I am just literally confused as to the exit. I guess I will remain confused.

Last edited:

Dave_pro2a

Your complaint will be more believable if the investigating party doesn't read in the police report terms like "confrontational" or "uncooperative".

Considering such terms are subjective, you're screwed from the get go no matter what... if you run into an anti-OC officer.

Genken

69Charger, good meeting you those couple of times. Keep that kid-at-heart and USMC spirit attitude you've shown me. Hope to catch you around in my travels around the South Sound area while I'm still here, but if I don't, keep it hard, take it easy, and do what you do.

I'll be keeping my eye out for that 1911, the tat's, and the hat.

jarhead1911A

loosing members over complete nosense.

That's uncalled for.

WOW i am a fellow Marine and i have to say that goes beyond uncalled for..... i have stayed off the board for the very same reason he is leaving, people have the right to there own opinion what they dont have the right to do is blast someone else because they do not agree with there's.

This OCDO family used to be a great place to hang out and get to know other members and it seems that the last year or so its all gone to hell in a hand basket.

What happened to US? have we all given up on what bonded us all together? has some members agenda's caused this site to become a high school ******* match?

It really bothers me that we have loyal and dedicated members leaving the site because of other members who think they have to prove there point or show there a$$ cause they just have to be right and have the last word.

After the OCDO camp out i myself seriously considered leaving OCDO because of another members lack of common sense and some basic respect.

At what point did we start allowing members to take charge and take credit for what all of us to on a daily basis?

At what point did we decide it was ok for 1 member to take it apon himself to be the spokesman for the group? yet they do not help clean up the side of the highway we ALL agreed to sponsor?

I can spend all night listing what bothers me about some of the idiotic BS that gets posted here but pointing out the big purple cow in the middle of the room that everyone can see is very retarded.

Batousaii

.... Normalizing it right ?

First to Dave, and Ruby too, I would hope you can see your way back to the forum. Dave, you in fact did good things for the group, set up breakfasts, got a local Denny's on our side who supported us with enthusiasm, those things count. Second, in the spirit of the absolute goal of normalizing it, we will encounter a wider array of viewpoints, some will of course be more assertive than others. Being the Internet, people will sometimes "let their hair down" or express themselves with more zeal than they would in person. This is a common factor with growth. Where once a smaller focused group existed, a larger body of more "Normal" people now exists, and this will continue to grow. The trade off is an obvious one, and one we must all be prepared for: the fact of normal people and their normal issues now carrying firearms... As part of the afore mentioned "Second group" reaping benefits, we owe those before us the respect that their methodology ultimately put us in the direction we are now- and many who followed closely will adhere to the methodology in an effort to continue the strong push forward. But we all in the end must recognize the true nature of a normalized progression, where we will ultimately shed the skin that a small tightly focus group can wear, and embrace, or at least realize, that many many others will not follow the original methodology, and will open carry a firearm, and will deal with society, law enforcement, and each other (fellow open carriers and arms owners) as they "normally" would deal with anything else. Some get a parking ticket and deal with the officer one way ... others deal with them in a completely different way. Same with random encounters with anti-gunners, sheeple, curious questions, etc, etc, etc......

- This whole thing is becoming rather........ well....... normal.

- Welcome to Open Carry Washington 2010 - almost normal now guys.

- Dave, Ruby, Others who may consider leaving: I hope you will reconsider to stay and press on with the rest of your now normal fellow OCers - I really Do.

;) Bat

Last edited:

amlevin

jarhead1055 said:
Originally Posted by jarhead1055
What happened to US?

The forum grew.

What people are describing, and complaining about, is a natural consequence of a forum becoming larger. I've seen it happen many times before on other forums.

To add:
Some people as they get older mellow out. They've heard and seen a lot in their lives and realize that some arguments have little or no merit, they are just arguments. They don't get involved in arguments between those that either aren't old enough to realize this or with those that just like to argue. In some ways it's like a bar fight without the risk of getting hit with a flying drink or fist. Just like that bar fight though, if you have a good seat that is out of the line of fire, it can sometimes be entertaining. Still using the bar fight analogy, it probably isn't a good idea that, while sitting in your "safe seat", that you pour your beer on one of the participants as they fall in front of you. Do that and you'll suddenly become a participant, willing or not.

Last edited:

Sparky508

it probably isn't a good idea that, while sitting in your "safe seat", that you pour your beer on one of the participants as they fall in front of you.

I won’t tolerate alcohol abuse on this forum.....................................'hic'...............

jt59

I think it will feel " really normal" for me, when we no longer have to carry 10 hour audio recorders, secret pens and video cam's in our hats.

First to Dave, and Ruby too, I would hope you can see your way back to the forum. Dave, you in fact did good things for the group, set up breakfasts, got a local Denny's on our side who supported us with enthusiasm, those things count. Second, in the spirit of the absolute goal of normalizing it, we will encounter a wider array of viewpoints, some will of course be more assertive than others. Being the Internet, people will sometimes "let their hair down" or express themselves with more zeal than they would in person. This is a common factor with growth. Where once a smaller focused group existed, a larger body of more "Normal" people now exists, and this will continue to grow. The trade off is an obvious one, and one we must all be prepared for: the fact of normal people and their normal issues now carrying firearms... As part of the afore mentioned "Second group" reaping benefits, we owe those before us the respect that their methodology ultimately put us in the direction we are now- and many who followed closely will adhere to the methodology in an effort to continue the strong push forward. But we all in the end must recognize the true nature of a normalized progression, where we will ultimately shed the skin that a small tightly focus group can wear, and embrace, or at least realize, that many many others will not follow the original methodology, and will open carry a firearm, and will deal with society, law enforcement, and each other (fellow open carriers and arms owners) as they "normally" would deal with anything else. Some get a parking ticket and deal with the officer one way ... others deal with them in a completely different way. Same with random encounters with anti-gunners, sheeple, curious questions, etc, etc, etc......

- This whole thing is becoming rather........ well....... normal.

- Welcome to Open Carry Washington 2010 - almost normal now guys.

- Dave, Ruby, Others who may consider leaving: I hope you will reconsider to stay and press on with the rest of your now normal fellow OCers - I really Do.

;) Bat

Last edited: