Thread: Federal Facilities List??

Federal Facilities List??

Does anyone have a list of Federal Facilities where you can't open carry? To make sure you don't accidentally open carry a place where you are not supposed to.

Post Offices
    Ranger Stations
    Court Facilities
    ??
    ??

Also, are parking lots considered part of the buildings? For example a Post Office. Could you be open carrying, but when you pull into the Post Office Parking lot you take you gun out of the holster and lock it up before you go in? Or is the parking lot considered part of the Federal Facility?
    Last edited by orqusgu; 09-15-2010 at 11:33 PM.

Banned
    No list is necessary. All federal facilities are generally off-limits.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18...0----000-.html

I read somewhere that parking lots of post offices are also off-limits, but I'll leave that cite to someone else.

On edit: I also found this link: http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-i...ts-to-firearms

Being that the Mike mentioned in the story is one of the owners of this site and one of the most informed persons on gun law that I know, I'd say the parking lots of post offices are off-limits. Park at the furniture store next door, leave you gun in the car, and pray that a worker doesn't go postal.
    Last edited by eye95; 09-16-2010 at 10:18 AM.

Banned
    (l) Weapons and explosives. No person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.
    http://cfr.vlex.com/vid/232-1-conduc...perty-19777182

It would seem that post office parking lots are specifically off limits. This sections does not speak to parking lots at other federal facilities.

post office

the parking lot IS off limits. but
    some years ago, a postal employee was found to be keeping his gun in his car,
    in the fenced in area where post office trucks were loaded, while he was at work!
    he was NOT prosecuted under the law that says, no guns at the post office.
    he settled for being discharged from his job.

BTW, it is BS to make the parking lot off limits!
    my post office in belfair is not posted ANYWHERE, in or out no signs at all.
    Last edited by 1245A Defender; 09-16-2010 at 10:32 AM.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!