• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Federal Facilities List??

orqusgu

Does anyone have a list of Federal Facilities where you can't open carry? To make sure you don't accidentally open carry a place where you are not supposed to.

Post Offices
Ranger Stations
Court Facilities
??
??

Also, are parking lots considered part of the buildings? For example a Post Office. Could you be open carrying, but when you pull into the Post Office Parking lot you take you gun out of the holster and lock it up before you go in? Or is the parking lot considered part of the Federal Facility?

Last edited:

eye95

No list is necessary. All federal facilities are generally off-limits.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_sec_18_00000930----000-.html

I read somewhere that parking lots of post offices are also off-limits, but I'll leave that cite to someone else.

On edit: I also found this link: http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-atlanta/post-office-parking-lot-off-limits-to-firearms

Being that the Mike mentioned in the story is one of the owners of this site and one of the most informed persons on gun law that I know, I'd say the parking lots of post offices are off-limits. Park at the furniture store next door, leave you gun in the car, and pray that a worker doesn't go postal.

Last edited:

eye95

(l) Weapons and explosives. No person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.

http://cfr.vlex.com/vid/232-1-conduct-postal-property-19777182

It would seem that post office parking lots are specifically off limits. This sections does not speak to parking lots at other federal facilities.

1245A Defender

post office

the parking lot IS off limits. but
some years ago, a postal employee was found to be keeping his gun in his car,
in the fenced in area where post office trucks were loaded, while he was at work!
he was NOT prosecuted under the law that says, no guns at the post office.
he settled for being discharged from his job.

BTW, it is BS to make the parking lot off limits!
my post office in belfair is not posted ANYWHERE, in or out no signs at all.

Last edited: