• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New NC legistlative session laws and Governor Perdue

farkles

While Perdue is still clinging to her Governorship, what options do we have and what options do we lose? Cricketdad or other GRNC people would be more familiar with this most likely.

Once dems lose majority after the election in 56ish days, any bill we encourage our State Senators and Reps to pass will still be veto-able by Perdue. Is there any chance that any bill we want to pass would actually get signed by the Gov? If she vetoes a bill, then both the house and senate have to come back and have 2/3 vote to override her veto?

Does the bill then pass at that point? Might we take 2/3 of house and senate this election cycle?

chiefjason

Maybe more importantly is gaining majority so they can make new committee assignments. Buying off a committee chair has to be easier than buying off the Gov to veto something. Not saying it can't or won't happen with certain bills. But some of the 2A bill would likely go through as long as they could get out of committee. The Castle Doctrine has very strong support, outside of Ross's office. It sailed through the Senate. Something like Restaurant carry might be a bit tougher.

cricketdad

While Perdue is still clinging to her Governorship, what options do we have and what options do we lose? Cricketdad or other GRNC people would be more familiar with this most likely.

Once dems lose majority after the election in 56ish days, any bill we encourage our State Senators and Reps to pass will still be veto-able by Perdue. Is there any chance that any bill we want to pass would actually get signed by the Gov? If she vetoes a bill, then both the house and senate have to come back and have 2/3 vote to override her veto?

Does the bill then pass at that point? Might we take 2/3 of house and senate this election cycle?

If memory serves me correctly, Perdue had a 3 star rating. Would probably sign anything sent to her.

It's not really necessary to have Republican controlled legislature to get bills passed. Castle doctrine went through the Senate 47 - 3. Holliman stopped it dead in its tracks in the House. That's why it is so important he goes. Sends a message to the rest.

I think there are about 30 seats that we (the people) have a good chance of changing. We do that we could probably get anything we want passed.

The most important reason to get a Republican majority is whichever party is in power draws up the new voting districts.

Dreamer

Something like Restaurant carry might be a bit tougher.

Funny thing about that is we're one of the ONLY states in the mid-atlantic region that DOESN'T allow restaurant carry. Us and SC...

Heck, if you have a MD permit, you can even carry in restaurants and bars in MD!

But not in NC...

We need to work to get ALL restrictions on carry repealed. They are all, under McDonald, unconstitutional on their face. ANY government-imposed restriction of lawful carry is an infringement on, to quote the SCOTUS, a "fundamental right".

Not allowing lawful carry in restaurants that serve alcohol because it might cause problems is like sayig you can't wear a religious emblem in the same establishment, or a political button on your jacket, or say a blessing before your meal, or requiring the patrons to pick up the tab for any LEO or active-duty military personnel who happen to be eating there...

Either "shall not be infringed" means "SHALL NOT be infringed", and it IS applied to the States, or it is not.

Personally, I'd rather our General Assembly "did the right thing" and wiped all these statutes from our code. But I think that the only way the states are going to come into line with McDonald--ALL the states, even relatively 2A-friendly states like NC--is through the courts.

I just don't understand why the GA and the Governor insist on doing things the hard way. A swipe of a pen is all the is needed to set our statutes right, and they INSIST on forcing us to sue them, and will fight it, kicking and screaming the entire way.

Vote the bums out. And in two more years, we need to do EVERYTHING we can to send Perdue to the unemployment lines as well. Everyone needs to be sure they vote this election. We need to send a STRONG message to Raleigh in November...

chiefjason

I just don't understand why the GA and the Governor insist on doing things the hard way. A swipe of a pen is all the is needed to set our statutes right, and they INSIST on forcing us to sue them, and will fight it, kicking and screaming the entire way.

Power, no one lets go of it easily. And changing the 2A laws would empower the people instead of the Gov. And that would threaten the entitlement mentality where you rely on the Gov to take care of you.

The only reason I mentioned restaurant carry is because it has been a real fight to pass it in other states. I would expect similar problems in NC. Facts mean little to the anti's.