Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Police looking for me?

Police looking for me?

Police looking for me. http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/...cident-Pulaski. What should I do?

Banned
    Stand up for your rights! Tell them you are spreading the word and the store will be losing customers. Pickett outside the store to gain some media attention and negative coverage for the store.

Banned
    Its doubtful that there is a warrant out for your arrest, so the cops just want to question you.

Let them find you if they can but don't sweat it. If you left the stores as requested without incident you did nothing wrong.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Gleason View Post
    Stand up for your rights! Tell them you are spreading the word and the store will be losing customers. Pickett outside the store to gain some media attention and negative coverage for the store.
    COMMENT REMOVED BY MODERATOR: Personal attack

Since it is legal and nothing can be done to you. I would suggest contacting a few other oc'ers in your area and arrange a meet with the reporter and the police in a public location.

Also have your own vid cameras and voice recorders going to keep the reporter honest.
    Last edited by jimd_21; 09-16-2010 at 01:53 PM.

I dont have money for a lawyer and I dont know what to do in experience in this kinda stuff would like if someone with more experience could talk on my behalf

It would be a good oppunirty to inform citizens of there rights i just dont know how.

Banned
    Shane. Don't sweat it.

If the cops come and talk to you just tell them what you know. No big deal... you did nothing wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane28 View Post
    I dont have money for a lawyer and I dont know what to do in experience in this kinda stuff would like if someone with more experience could talk on my behalf
    Why would you need a lawyer?

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman's Avatar
    I wouldn't suggest speaking to the police but that is your call.

Even when you have done nothing wrong, it is advisable not to speak to the police.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

(edit)

I can assure you, if you DID have an attorney, they would tell you the same thing "don't speak to the police"

Open-Carry is legal. I know it, you know it, Channel 11 knows it and the police know it.

If they want to talk to you, there is no benefit to you. Be polite but decline to speak with them.
    Last edited by Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman; 09-16-2010 at 02:15 PM.
    www.wisconsincarry.org Wisconsin Carry, Inc. is not affiliated with opencarry.org or these web forums. Questions about discussion forum policy or forum moderation should be directed to the owners of opencarry.org not Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    I can't seem to find an online source for ordinances in Pulaski.

No matter what, even if they have an ordinance against it, it is either an illegal ordinance or not enforceable (is that better Doug?).

Go to www.wisconsincarry.org and go to the 'legal' link. Print out the WI AG memo, read it, carry it with you.

Personally I would not go to the police. Depending on how comfortable you are, I would contact the reporter. If you do go to the police, bring a voice recorder and record it. It is legal to do so without telling the cops you are doing it.

Maybe someone with more experience is nearer to you?

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    Shane. Don't sweat it.

If the cops come and talk to you just tell them what you know. No big deal... you did nothing wrong.
    That is the absolute worst advice ever given to anyone!!

You don't say a friggin word! You did nothing wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Shane28 View Post
    Police looking for me. http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/...cident-Pulaski. What should I do?
    How much did the hardware stores rip you off for? lol

CARRY ON !!!!!
    Owner Little Wolf Firearms , US ARMY RETIRED 101st Airborne & 84th DIV TRNG Small arms instructor.
    Remember , Gun Control is " USING BOTH HANDS!"

also a few things to keep in mind. Its hard to say where this reporter got his information.

Its very possible someone told the reporter someone was OC'ing in the store, the reporter calls the store, they confirm it, reporter then calls police and police say "yeah we'll look into it" and there is nothing more to it other than the reporter coming back with a story saying "Police looking for a man who was OC'ing"

I wouldn't be surprised if the police aren't really "looking" at all other than that if they should happen to come upon him they may try to have a consensual conversation.

As I read this story, and thought about how media handle these things, it wouldn't surprise me in this case.

Around Milwaukee the news had the following M.O. on EVERY single story. Report an incident, robot call the police for what they are going to do, and try to contact those involved and then print the story in the most hyped up way possible.

"police looking for man with gun" grabs much more attention than "person lawfully OC'ing: police say "yeah, we'll check it out"
    Last edited by Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman; 09-16-2010 at 03:26 PM.
    www.wisconsincarry.org Wisconsin Carry, Inc. is not affiliated with opencarry.org or these web forums. Questions about discussion forum policy or forum moderation should be directed to the owners of opencarry.org not Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutczak View Post
    You did nothing wrong!
    ^^^ Thats what I said. lol

And since Shane did nothing wrong there is no reason not to have a pleasant conversation with LEO about open carry.

COMMENTS REMOVED BY MODERATOR: Personal attack

Since when it it any of their damn business why you're carrying? What are the likely outcomes here?

Chance that talking to them will convince them of anything: zero.

Chance that talking to them will get you charged with something: not zero.

I'd keep on OCing, since it's perfectly legal, but I absolutely would not contact the cops. When they sooner or later run into you and detain you, I wouldn't talk to them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponch View Post
    Since when it it any of their damn business why you're carrying? What are the likely outcomes here?

I'd keep on OCing, since it's perfectly legal, but I absolutely would not contact the cops. When they sooner or later run into you and detain you, I wouldn't talk to them.
    I never said Contact Them. lol I said if they find him, talk to them firmly and politely and try to educate them.

If they arrest him they will regret it.

I agree, no need to speak to the Police. I know of an instance where an 18yr old did a burnout in front of a business. He left but someone called the Police and through the grape vine he got a phone call from them. The officer said why don't you come to the station and talk to me. So he did. The officer listened to the story. Then cited him based on his confession!!! So I recommend to everybody don't talk to them if they are asking. But you could talk to the reporter. I would do it from a pay phone or something untraceable just to be sure. But make sure you record it.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

WOW..

I did some research today.

Here is an email sent from the Pulaski Chief of Police to the Pulaski Chamber of Commerce.

Gloria Morgan
    Executive Director
    Pulaski Area Chamber of Commerce
    Phone: 920-822-XXXX
    Cell: 920-655-XXXX
    Email: pacc@netnet.net
    Web: www.pulaskichamber.org

Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 6:27 PM
    To: Thayse, Arlen
    Subject: Open Carry

Yesterday we had an incident where a male adult wearing a holstered firearm attempted to do business at Vern’s Hardware. A customer alerted the employee and the individual was denied access to the business. We have since learned that the same day, prior to his attempt to go into Vern’s this same subject made a purchase at Pulaski-Chase Cooperative Ace Hardware Store. The subject walked on the bike trail directly to Vern’s according to witness reports. Unfortunately our officer was in Green Bay at the Crisis Center with another individual and was not in the Village at the time of the call. Unknown to us at the time, Brown County Sheriff’s Department decided not to send a squad to make contact with the individual because open carry is not against the law. Obviously the Supervisor that made that decision was in error and we can do nothing about that now. We still do not know the identity of this person. Vern’s Hardware has received two calls today from this individual complaining about being refused entry into the store.

Open carry is legal in the state of Wisconsin so long as the weapon is clearly visible, you are not a felon, and are not in a mental state of mind to do harm to yourself or others. Obviously the only way we can determine that is to talk to the individual and evaluate him. Businesses have the right to refuse business/ entry to anyone so long as it does not fall under the protected classifications, i.e. race, color, sex, age, religion, etc.. I advise business owners to place signs on your business doors prohibiting entry with a firearm. Call me if you have any questions.

Chief Dunford~

Confidentiality Notice:
    This message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or telephone.
    This e-mail and any attachments have been scanned for malicious content. However, the recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The Village of Pulaski accepts no liability for any damages caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.
    So first guilty until proven innocent? The Pulaski police assume you are a felon or in a mental state to do harm to yourself and others UNTIL they can "evaluate" you?

Thats wrong on so many levels

Second, the police chief is ADVISING local businesses to deny entry to law-abiding customers?

Look Chief Dunford. Let them know its legal. Leave your personal "advice" out of your professional obligation.

I'd say its time to get involved here.
    Last edited by Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman; 09-16-2010 at 09:54 PM.

Nik,

What do you want us to do? Email the chief? Email the reporter? Do we need to gather in Pulaski? I'm available if we need a show of 'force'.

This to me appears to be conspiracy by a government official to deny people their civil rights.

The supreme court has found that the right to carry is a fundamental right.

A police chief ADVISING businesses to deny that right seems out of bounds.

Its fine if the chief says "you may" but I think he overstepped his duty on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    Nik,

What do you want us to do? Email the chief? Email the reporter? Do we need to gather in Pulaski? I'm available if we need a show of 'force'.

Lets start with VERY polite emails to the Chief asking him to please re-send his email to the chamber of commerce and advise business owners that IF a business owner does not want firearms in their store they MAY post a sign on their door.

Lets also remind Chief Dunford politely that this is not a police state. A person who is not observed to be doing anything illegal should not be "assumed" to be a felon or a danger to themselves or others until the police "evaluate" that person and that any police contact with a law abiding citizen must be consensual unless the police have Reasonable Articulable Suspicion or Probably Cause to believe that person is, has, or is about to commit a crime.

Pulaski Police Chief Dunford:

Chief@villageofpulaski.org

x
    Last edited by The Don; 09-17-2010 at 04:37 PM.

Wow, now the police want to evaluate people that commit no crime. Lets see your degree Sigmund. I wouldnt call the police its legal and oh sorry for your one officer not being there when a crime wasnt committed. I say we all e-mail the cheif. what say you all?

I sent an email. I was polite but terse. I recommended he check with the Village attorney before he sends any more emails.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast