• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police looking for me?

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
This to me appears to be conspiracy by a government official to deny people their civil rights.

The supreme court has found that the right to carry is a fundamental right.

A police chief ADVISING businesses to deny that right seems out of bounds.

Its fine if the chief says "you may" but I think he overstepped his duty on this one.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Nik,

What do you want us to do? Email the chief? Email the reporter? Do we need to gather in Pulaski? I'm available if we need a show of 'force'.

Lets start with VERY polite emails to the Chief asking him to please re-send his email to the chamber of commerce and advise business owners that IF a business owner does not want firearms in their store they MAY post a sign on their door.

Lets also remind Chief Dunford politely that this is not a police state. A person who is not observed to be doing anything illegal should not be "assumed" to be a felon or a danger to themselves or others until the police "evaluate" that person and that any police contact with a law abiding citizen must be consensual unless the police have Reasonable Articulable Suspicion or Probably Cause to believe that person is, has, or is about to commit a crime.

Pulaski Police Chief Dunford:

Chief@villageofpulaski.org

Russf

Wow, now the police want to evaluate people that commit no crime. Lets see your degree Sigmund. I wouldnt call the police its legal and oh sorry for your one officer not being there when a crime wasnt committed. I say we all e-mail the cheif. what say you all?

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Here is the email I sent to the Chief

Chief Dunford,

I received this email from the Pulaski Chamber of Commerce today.

I would respectfully ask that you would send another email to the chamber of commerce clarifying a few things.

First, your comment "I advise business owners to place signs on your business doors prohibiting entry with a firearm." I hope is just a mis-statement. Open-Carry is legal. Please let business owners know that your only advise is that IF THEY CHOOSE to prohibit firearms in their establishment they should post a sign on their door.

I'm confident MANY businesses in Pulaski would NOT want to deny their law-abiding customers who open-carry entrance into their stores. Its a tough economy, Wisconsinites OVERWHELMINGLY support the right to carry (79% of the voters of Wisconsin approved amending our state constitution in 1998) It read: The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose.

I'm sure most of the businesses in Pulaski wouldn't want to, in this economy or any time, deny law-abiding customers into their stores to spend money. Especially when those store owners likely voted in favor of the right to keep AND bear arms in Wisconsin in 1998.

In addition, I would offer to you that Wisconsin is not a police state and that police should not treat every citizen like a criminal "until proven otherwise". The following comment seems to indicate that you and your officers assume guilt until proven innocent. "Open carry is legal in the state of Wisconsin so long as the weapon is clearly visible, you are not a felon, and are not in a mental state of mind to do harm to yourself or others. Obviously the only way we can determine that is to talk to the individual and evaluate him."

A person who is open-carry is demonstrating their adherence to Wisconsin law by NOT concealing their sidearm as they carry for self-defense. While I know police can consensually speak with anyone, it would be unlawful to detain anyone without Reasonable Articulable Suspicion that they have, are, or are about to commit a crime. Open-carrying alone does NOT provide this RAS.

Other municipalities in Wisconsin have and will soon be facing lawsuits for unlawfully detaining or arresting law-abiding open-carriers and illegally searching/seizing their property. Even for just a few minutes.

Carry On,

Nik Clark
Chairman/President - Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
www.wisconsincarry.org

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
I would like the chief to tell us if he thinks it's acceptable to simply pull drivers over who commit no infraction to inquire whether they are lawfully entitled to drive and aren't driving with the intent to harm someone.

How would they "evaluate" a person open carrying who has no requirement to talk or show ID?

Kudos to the Brown County Sheriff's department supervisor for getting it RIGHT.

springfield 1911

Founder's Club Member
Shane from your side of story , you have done nothing illegal.
I also would not contact them as others have said.
While you continue to oc they will find you soon enough, a voice recorder at this time for you is a must. As far as i'm concerned thier looking to harass and intimidate you at this time.

If every employee that has called on an oc, had it been on a non english speaking person which would suggest being here illegally and pd stopped and detained that person ,every civil rights group would be involved.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Here's part of the problem:

44.01 DISCHARGING AND CARRYING FIREARMS AND GUNS PROHIBITED
(a) REGULATIONS. No person, except a sheriff, police officer or their deputies,
shall fire or discharge any firearm, rifle, spring or air gun within the
Village of Pulaski or have any firearm, rifle, spring or air gun in his
possession or under his control unless it is unloaded and knocked down
or enclosed within a carrying case or other suitable container.
This
section shall not prevent the maintenance and use of duly-supervised
rifle or pistol ranges or shooting galleries authorized by the Village Board
or the firing or discharging of BB Guns by persons by persons born after
1973 with a hunter safety permit on land owned or rented by a
supervising parent or guardian and under the direct personal
supervision of a parent or guardian.

Shane28

Thnak you

As advice from my chain of command that, I Went and talked to the police cheif like a meet and greet. Neither I nor anyone i talked to know how the media got a hold of this story. I'm not allowed to talk to the media per the military. All good. Wow I never thought my day would be involving this thank god it was my day off so i didnt have lose any pay. Well thank you all for your support, and Knowlege on this situation.

Russf

I sent an email. I was polite but terse. I recommended he check with the Village attorney before he sends any more emails.

Confidentiality Notice:
This message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or telephone.
This e-mail and any attachments have been scanned for malicious content. However, the recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The Village of Pulaski accepts no liability for any damages caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.

So are we prohibited from having this e-mail? and using it on this site?

paul@paul-fisher.com

Confidentiality Notice:
This message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or telephone.
This e-mail and any attachments have been scanned for malicious content. However, the recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The Village of Pulaski accepts no liability for any damages caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.

So are we prohibited from having this e-mail? and using it on this site?

IANAL, however, with WI open record laws, we would get this as part of a freedom of information request so I believe the statement is non enforceable.

Max

Chief's response

I just got this response from the chief.
"Thank you for your comments. I have sent a clarification to our business owners."

littlewolf

As advice from my chain of command that, I Went and talked to the police cheif like a meet and greet. Neither I nor anyone i talked to know how the media got a hold of this story. I'm not allowed to talk to the media per the military. All good. Wow I never thought my day would be involving this thank god it was my day off so i didnt have lose any pay. Well thank you all for your support, and Knowlege on this situation.

I see by your post you are in the military, thank you for your service. If the police ask you why you are armed politely tell them :THE SAME REASON YOU ARE ARMED "SELF DEFENSE" AND HAVE A NICE DAY!