• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police looking for me?

J.Gleason

Banned
You are welcome to go ahead and be the test case..... Judging from his posts thus far, it does not appear that Shane wants to be..

I have already walked on state trails with a holstered hand gun. Have not had an issue as of yet. Some state trails wind and twist through an entire area of the state. Now think of that! How much area would that create that firearms would not be allowed. There are state trails all over this state and IMHO that would not be enforceable.
The law clearly states you can not carry in state parks. It does not say state trails. Lets not read to much into this, the laws are confusing enough as they are without us making matters worse. Read the statute for the letter of the law and nothing more. The Courts are required to do the same.

M

McX

i would question the accuracy, and integrity of witnesses, was there any 'coaching' envolved? the article did mention; the sales person regarded it as little more than a cell phone, so what is the beef? talk to the cops?! talk to the hand!

ckmorley

Since it is legal and nothing can be done to you. I would suggest contacting a few other oc'ers in your area and arrange a meet with the reporter and the police in a public location

I'm not too far away.........let me know if you need another body.

ckmorley

epeterson

Hi shane28. news would like to talk

Hi Shane28.....this is Eric Peterson at NBC26 in Green Bay, we are working the story today. I would like to get a hold of you to talk about what happened. I know you did nothing wrong, I just want to get your insight. thanks. you can call me (920) 371-7347. or e-mail. thanks. Eric.

Carcharodon

"Szczepanski helped the customer find an item in the tool aisle. He noticed the firearm, but said it wasn't a big deal to him.

"There was no scene trying to be made. It wasn't any different than somebody wearing a cell phone," said Szczepanski."

Thanks for this! : )

MKEgal

Did anyone else catch in the email where he said that their ONLY officer was out of town?
"our officer was in Green Bay... and was not in the Village at the time of the call"

"attempted to do business at Vern’s Hardware"
OMG! What a terrible crime!! Call the police, lock the school, run, run, run!!

"this same subject made a purchase at Pulaski-Chase Cooperative Ace Hardware Store"
Obviously a pattern of criminal behaviour...

As for their claim that the only way to evaluate the situation is by talking to the person, BS. They can LOOK at what's happening, just like anyone else. Just like the manager who helped him find something at the first store and decided it was no big deal. I'm not a trained LEO, and I think I can make a pretty decent determination as to whether someone intends to harm me or not.

I wonder if they stop anyone with or near children to make sure they're not being kidnapped, or not child molesters who are on probation & told to stay away from kids, or...

See how silly their premise is?

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
Hi Shane28.....this is Eric Peterson at NBC26 in Green Bay, we are working the story today. I would like to get a hold of you to talk about what happened. I know you did nothing wrong, I just want to get your insight. thanks. you can call me (920) 371-7347. or e-mail. thanks. Eric.

Proof positive that we ARE being watched.....

M

McX

soon they can watch us on the TV! we need a once a week show; This Week in Open Carry.

littlewolf

the only officer was out of town?

sounds like a damn good reason to carry. no cop around when you might need one!

Max

Already corrected

Navy, the Chief already corrected his actions by sending a clarification to the chamber of commerce. The chief seems to be a very decent guy and unless something else develops in Pulaski I am of the opinion nothing more need be done. Shane met with the chief, ask him what he thinks.

Last edited:

Interceptor_Knight

It is a trail not a park. There is a difference. The law clearly reads "State Park."

I have already walked on state trails with a holstered hand gun. Have not had an issue as of yet. Some state trails wind and twist through an entire area of the state. Now think of that! How much area would that create that firearms would not be allowed. There are state trails all over this state and IMHO that would not be enforceable.
The law clearly states you can not carry in state parks. It does not say state trails. Lets not read to much into this, the laws are confusing enough as they are without us making matters worse. Read the statute for the letter of the law and nothing more. The Courts are required to do the same.

The Ordinance in question is the Brown County Ordinance prohibiting OC in Parks. The Mountain Bay Trail is considered part of the Brown County Park System and is managed by the Parks Department. According to the Brown County Sheriff's Department, the Park Ordinance applies to the Mountain Bay Trail. It can certainly be enforced by a Deputy as it is on the books. You would have to fight it in court if the DA charged you.
Again, I do not recommend that Shane travel the Trail while OC-ing...

Spartacus

Banned
Navy, the Chief already corrected his actions by sending a clarification to the chamber of commerce. The chief seems to be a very decent guy and unless something else develops in Pulaski I am of the opinion nothing more need be done. Shane met with the chief, ask him what he thinks.

Good news indeed. Maybe Shane can update us on the situation?

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
The Mountain Bay Trail is considered part of the Brown County Park System

This is not directed you at IK, but just doing the analysis here..

So now a trail can be considered a park... got it...

So if a city wants to ban firearms they need just declare large parts of the city park areas?

This is de facto proof that county park bans are "more stringent than" If we are going to expand the definition of parks to trails also.

Courts would see through this ********.

Sounds like its time for a lawsuit.

J.Gleason

Banned
There is no way this trail is considered a county park. He is reading way to much into this and there is no way this would hold up in court either. I_K is doing nothing but giving these arrogant Arse holes ideas by posting such hog wash in this forum knowing that LEO monitor this forum.

The statute is clear in that you can not carry in a "STATE PARK." The county park ordinances or preempted in themselves. Trying to add the trails in as state parks is utterly ridiculous and increases the area of infringement.

Do us all a favor I_K stop reading to much into the statutes and ordinances and accept them for the letter of the law just as the court is required to do.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
This is not directed you at IK, but just doing the analysis here..

So now a trail can be considered a park... got it...

Sounds like its time for a lawsuit.

Well, The "Bearskin Trail" from Minocqua to Tomahawk is a state park, it is an abandoned railbed used for walking, biking and snowmobiling. They charge an admittance fee for bicyclists in the summer but no fees for winter use.

J.Gleason

Banned
Well, The "Bearskin Trail" from Minocqua to Tomahawk is a state park, it is an abandoned railbed used for walking, biking and snowmobiling. They charge an admittance fee for bicyclists in the summer but no fees for winter use.

Right but that is listed as a state park. That trail I believe circles through a specific area that is within specific boarders. I_K is talking about a county trail that extends through the county and that is ridiculous.
Now try figuring out how much of that land belongs to the county trail system and then mark that on a map for a no carry zone. See where this is going?

Interceptor_Knight

Do us all a favor I_K stop reading to much into the statutes and ordinances and accept them for the letter of the law just as the court is required to do.
I am not "inventing new things". The Mountain Bay Trail is already posted No Firearms as is evident in the video coverage of the Pulaski non-event. This is a County Ordinance and it would be up to the County to enforce it or not. I am not addressing how the State enforces its Statute. The proposed Green Bay Ordinance covered Parks and Greenways by name. This language was borrowed from another municipality which already has it in the State. I am not going to find the source right now.
No one has been cited and there is no fight in court right now. Go ahead and carry on the Mountain Bay Trail, but do not act totally suprised if you were to be cited. If you are 100% certain of your victory in court there is nothing to worry about.