• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

calling all states

calicojack

guys i'd like some help here. I'm interested in introducing legislation in the state of Alabama to make resolve the "grey area" and make open carry legal.

i need help

for you guys and gals that live in states that it already IS legal, could you point me in the direction of the law/statute that makes it so in your state? i'm going to try and derive our wording from the wordings in other states.

eye95

Activities are not made legal by passing a law.

Absent a law making an activity illegal, it is legal.

It would be a horrible precedent to pass a law to make an activity legal, especially when that activity is a right, because it lends credence to the notion that government must give permission to everything we do.

With a few exceptions, Alabama law is pretty danged good. The only changes I would advocate are:

1. Repeal 13A-11-52 only because it appears to outlaw OC. (It doesn't.)
2. Repeal 13A-11-59. OCers risk running afoul of the demonstration ban just by getting together.
3. Amend 13A-11-73 to allow OC in a car without a permit.

sudden valley gunner

uh don't you mean amend to not disallow carrying in a vehicle without a permit?

HUh? Eye was pretty clear. Maybe to make it more clear, make it not considered concealed if you are openly carrying in a vehicle thus eliminating the need for a Concealed permit/license. Or better yet go constitutional carry like Alaska, Vermont and Arizona.

Washington State pre-empts all other municipalities and public entities (except Federal),

The codes are RCW 9.41.290 and RCW 9.41.300, this means towns, cities , counties, public buildings(except federal) cannot restrict your right to openly carry. http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.290

I can carry to City Hall, Police Station, Library. Courthouses have to provide a lockbox (with key given to firearm owner) or designate a person to keep firearm (and they are held liable for any loss or damage to it). I openly carry on my motorcycle to pick up the kids at school (Have to have a CPL to do this.

Last edited:

eye95

I think it was a joke. Daylen said essentially what I did, but with the emphasis being on not making is it seem that the government was giving us permission to do something, but rather removing the restriction.

Kinda has a point.

Daylen

I was seeking clarity to the dichotomy

Activities are not made legal by passing a law.

Absent a law making an activity illegal, it is legal.

It would be a horrible precedent to pass a law to make an activity legal, especially when that activity is a right, because it lends credence to the notion that government must give permission to everything we do.
the don't have laws give permission part

3. Amend 13A-11-73 to allow OC in a car without a permit.
to the amendment to give permission.

Yes, I know I'm probably being a nitpick, but I can't help myself its in my nature.