• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Say 'NO' to King County tax hikes...and load up

Dave Workman

In tough times, voters obligated to reject tax measures, accept consequences

Financially speaking, government is in a hole and it is time for voters to force public officials to stop digging.

It is the same everywhere, and what is happening right now in Washington State is perhaps a microcosm of the national dilemma. Simply put, we’re out of money. Taxpayers are fed up, and government isn’t getting any deeper into our wallets.

What’s this got to do with gun rights? Residents in Washington’s King County – the same as citizens in so many other communities around the country that are reeling from the train wreck of government largesse – are about to figure that one out.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-...ed-to-reject-tax-measures-accept-consequences

Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/2abbcxg

Lovenox

Why is it that police always face the cuts while fire fighters manage to campaighn their way into more money? How many calls do police go out on versus fire fighters?

oldkim

Fire Fighters compared to Police Officers

Well, your question is more on what is the social or community image of these two groups.

When you see a Fire Fighter - he/she is there to help... put down the fire or rescue or something helpful to you.

When you see a Police Officer - he/she is there to enforce the law - often it's against you (speeding ticket or worse). Everyone hates getting caught - even for little stuff.

So how you see them is also dictate by why you are seeing them. When you see a fire you want someone to help you put it out. When you see a crime you want police to stop them (it still sucks since you are a victim as most incidents are not to prevent but to contain or stop the crime).

So with that said - they being fire fighters have a better union and hours (better PR).

amlevin

While I agree that Police and Fire are primary responsibilities of Government and should receive the necessary funding I would like to offer some perspective to the cuts.

How many Cities in King County annexed land in 2010. If my information is correct, Renton was one that annexed a pretty sizable area when you consider the population involved. Add to others that were annexed in order to take advantage of the State rules that were about to expire. (Here in Snohomish County, Marysville annexed a large area previously patrolled by the Sheriff's office.

All these annexations shift law enforcement responsibilities to the annexing cities. As a result the Sheriff's Department(s) have a decreased area to patrol, a smaller tax base to support their activities, and need for fewer supervisors when their deputy count goes down.

Just some perspective to be considered when reading stories of cuts in a Sheriff's department.

As for the waste on "Dreams", the "Dreamers" are promoted to a position in the Federal Government when their dreams turn to crap. Ron Sims is the latest example and even our "Gov" was thought to be on the short list for a similar reward.

Lovenox

Well, your question is more on what is the social or community image of these two groups.

When you see a Fire Fighter - he/she is there to help... put down the fire or rescue or something helpful to you.

When you see a Police Officer - he/she is there to enforce the law - often it's against you (speeding ticket or worse). Everyone hates getting caught - even for little stuff.

So how you see them is also dictate by why you are seeing them. When you see a fire you want someone to help you put it out. When you see a crime you want police to stop them (it still sucks since you are a victim as most incidents are not to prevent but to contain or stop the crime).

So with that said - they being fire fighters have a better union and hours (better PR).

Well put. Not jsutified in my eyes but well put nonetheless!

deanf

Firefighter unions all over the state have voted, are voting, or are considering voting to suspend their Cost of Living raises for 2011 because of reduced revenues, in the interest of preventing layoffs. For some departments, it's not enough, and they are reducing staff.

You don't hear about it so much because most departments are relatively small, free-standing political entities with their own taxing authority. That makes each one a little different. And it makes it harder for the media to cover, because there are so many departments, each with their own similar, but still different issues.

daddy4count

My friend is a volunteer firefighter... he asked me if I knew what cops and firemen have in common? They both want to be firemen! LOL

Back on topic - the sad truth is that our "leaders" use cuts to important budgets like schools and law enforcement to frighten people into accepting higher taxes. When, in fact, the first place they should look is political salary, wasteful programs and unnecessary "executive assistant" type positions that are abused by politicians who complain that they are too busy to accomplish everything they need to do, but spend only a fraction of their time "at work"

How many mayors and civic leaders get golf memberships and expensive dinners and parties, all at taxpayer expense?

How many teachers suffer through budget cuts while legislators vote themselves a pay raise?

Term limitations with modest salaries, no retirement benefits and a reduction of frivolous spending (does the governor really need another new limousine?)

amlevin

My friend is a volunteer firefighter... he asked me if I knew what cops and firemen have in common? They both want to be firemen! LOL

The way I heard it from a "cop" was that they all wanted to be cops. Some firemen do tend to behave as if they are too.

Back on the original topic.

Anytime there are special levies or federal grants for specifics like Police, Fire, Schools, etc. it just leaves more money for the legislature to waste on pet projects that are nowhere near as important as the basics.

Until the State has NO MORE MONEY to waste, they will continue to waste. Only when they go broke will they start cutting out the crap. Can anyone justify the State Printing office when everything they do can be put out to bid. Contractors can provide the services ONLY AS NEEDED rather than staffing and equipping a printing plant with state benefits to be paid to the employees. Why do we have so many Highway Engineers and Architects on the State Payroll. Hasn't the State heard of "Design Build" contracts. It takes far fewer "Project Managers" on State Payroll to handle the construction projects because the contractors have to provide the necessary construction documents. All the State develops are the Standards and even inspection can be contracted out to third parties. The big benefit here is that all the Salaries and Benefits that are paid year-round to State Employees go away. Yes, there are costs that transfer to the Contractors but they are a part of each job. When the job is completed the cost ceases.

This is how private industry approaches their construction projects and when they have no work, they lay off their idle staff. Not the State, they just keep paying while everyone looks busy.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Let's see...

In Federal Way...

1) My car was broken into, in my driveway, and my GPS was stolen. I gave the serial # to the officers. It was never recovered. (2007)

2) 1/4 mile from my home there was a murder. They arrested a subject. He was released and the murder was never solved. (2008)

I have received 2 speeding tickets from FWPD. I was driving safely. (BOTH were dismissed because I stood up for my rights)

A few less police will not hurt my feelings. And I might get pulled over less.

amlevin

Let's see...

In Federal Way...

1) My car was broken into, in my driveway, and my GPS was stolen. I gave the serial # to the officers. It was never recovered. (2007)

2) 1/4 mile from my home there was a murder. They arrested a subject. He was released and the murder was never solved. (2008)

I have received 2 speeding tickets from FWPD. I was driving safely. (BOTH were dismissed because I stood up for my rights)

A few less police will not hurt my feelings. And I might get pulled over less.

Yeah, but they are talking about County Deputies, not FWPD officers.