• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Permit holder holds suspect at gunpoint in Hartford

dcmdon

You are quite right. I thought it obvious we were talking about handguns. However it is not true that we need a permit to own or posess a handgun either. Only to buy one or have it legally transferred to you, or of course to carry it.

That is correct.

Rich B and Leverdude, you are both very knowledgeable. But you are missing points in this discussion.

Since 1995 you have needed to have a pistol permit or eligibility cert to have a handgun transfered to you. This leaves many ways to own a handgun legally without a permit:

1) you owned the handgun before 1995
2) you had a pistol permit or eligibility cert and legally bought a gun, then you let the permit expire
3) you owned guns while the resident of another state and moved to CT.

Don

dcmdon

I guess we might just have to disagree.
I don't see how a civilian attempting to stop someone from fleeing from a larceny, warrants the threat of deadly force.
What we are talking about is a civilian chasing someone who stole something and threatening to shoot them (a gun pointed at someone is a threat of shooting them) while they are fleeing, if they don't stop retreating. Maybe I am alone in thinking that may be over the line.

I agree with you. This would not have been a "good shoot" if it happened as described. Like you said, someone outside the home, fleeing with a VCR in their arms does not warrant the use of deadly force.

Rich B

This leaves many ways to own a handgun legally without a permit:

1) you owned the handgun before 1995
2) you had a pistol permit or eligibility cert and legally bought a gun, then you let the permit expire
3) you owned guns while the resident of another state and moved to CT.

I don't see how either of us missed this at all. This was never the topic of discussion.