• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Permit to Carry Weapons"

gyrocfi

My Iowa Permit to Carry Weapons (PCW), says just that. I know what Iowa considers "offensive weapons" but, does the PCW permit me to carry a concealed shotgun (such as a Mossberg JIC)? That's one of the questions I forgot to ask during CCW class.

Last edited:

JD

I have never seen a portion of Iowa code that listed long guns as prohibited. I would not advise carrying such a weapon, but it appears legal.

The only thing that rings a bell is something from here:

itle XI Natural Resources, Subtitle 6, Chapter 483A, FISHING AND HUNTING LICENSES, CONTRABAND, AND GUNS.
483A.36 Manner of conveyance.

No person, except as permitted by law, shall have or carry a gun in or on a vehicle on a public highway, unless the gun is taken down or totally contained in a securely fastened case, and its barrels and magazines are unloaded.
483A.35 "Gun" defined.

The word "gun" as used in this chapter shall include every kind of a gun or rifle, except a revolver or pistol,and shall include those provided with pistol mountings which are designed to shoot shot cartridges.

If I remember correctly, a permit to carry weapons voids this and this portion of code may have been altered to allow removable rifle magazines to be loaded provided that they are not inserted in the firearm.

I'll poke around later and see what I can find.

Last edited:

Jared

My Iowa Permit to Carry Weapons (PCW), says just that. I know what Iowa considers "offensive weapons" but, does the PCW permit me to carry a concealed shotgun (such as a Mossberg JIC)? That's one of the questions I forgot to ask during CCW class.

I imagine there will be a lot of confusion with training in Iowa. You PCW covers many other weapons including knives that would otherwise require a PCW; however, even with a PCW, if you carry a switchblade, it must be unconcealed.

JD

I imagine there will be a lot of confusion with training in Iowa. You PCW covers many other weapons including knives that would otherwise require a PCW; however, even with a PCW, if you carry a switchblade, it must be unconcealed.

That's a new one on me, got a source?

702.7 Dangerous weapon.

A "dangerous weapon" is any instrument or device designed primarily for use in inflicting death or injury upon a human being or animal, and which is capable of inflicting death upon a human being when used in the manner for which it was designed, except a bow and arrow when possessed and used for hunting or any other lawful purpose. Additionally, any instrument or device of any sort whatsoever which is actually used in such a manner as to indicate that the defendant intends to inflict death or serious injury upon the other, and which, when so used, is capable of inflicting death upon a human being, is a dangerous weapon. Dangerous weapons include but are not limited to any offensive weapon, pistol, revolver, or other firearm, dagger, razor, stiletto, switchblade knife, knife having a blade exceeding five inches in length, or any portable device or weapon directing an electric current, impulse, wave, or beam that produces a high-voltage pulse designed to immobilize a person.

[S13, §4775-1a; C24, 27, 31, §12936; C35, §12935-g1, 12936; C39, §12935.1, 12936; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, §695.1, 695.2; C79, 81, §702.7]

88 Acts, ch 1164, §1; 2008 Acts, ch [FONT=&quot]1151, §1[/FONT]
1. Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person who goes armed with a dangerous weapon concealed on or about the person, or who, within the limits of any city, goes armed with a pistol or revolver, or any loaded firearm of any kind, whether concealed or not, or who knowingly carries or transports in a vehicle a pistol or revolver, commits an aggravated misdemeanor.
i. A person who has in the person's possession and who displays to a peace officer on demand a valid permit to carry weapons which has been issued to the person, and whose conduct is within the limits of that permit. A person shall not be convicted of a violation of this section if the person produces at the person's trial a permit to carry weapons which was valid at the time of the alleged offense and which would have brought the person's conduct within this exception if the permit had been produced at the time of the alleged offense.
There is no requirement for a switchblade to be carried openly in the Iowa weapons code, sometimes stuff does get buried elsewhere, but I've never heard of having to OC a switch blade. It is possible that it could be listed as a restriction on ones permit, but that would be a on a Sheriff by Sheriff basis.

Any further info you have would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Jared

That's a new one on me, got a source?

There is no requirement for a switchblade to be carried openly in the Iowa weapons code, sometimes stuff does get buried elsewhere, but I've never heard of having to OC a switch blade. It is possible that it could be listed as a restriction on ones permit, but that would be a on a Sheriff by Sheriff basis.

Any further info you have would be greatly appreciated.

You are correct, I was wrong. I did a quick read on Iowa in David Wong's knife law book. He has Iowa listed as open carry only for switchblades; however, after carefully reviewing it, there is no prohibition on a PCW holder from concealing a switchblade, in fact, it is explicitly allowed after reading the law.

JD

You are correct, I was wrong. I did a quick read on Iowa in David Wong's knife law book. He has Iowa listed as open carry only for switchblades; however, after carefully reviewing it, there is no prohibition on a PCW holder from concealing a switchblade, in fact, it is explicitly allowed after reading the law.

Ahhh, gotcha'

Honestly the only reason I knew that one as well as I did is that I was arguing with a Deputy friend and he schooled me on the specific listing of switchblades as dangerous weapons regardless of blade length further reading of 724 showed that with a PTCW they were permitted, although I don't think I'd carry one. Actually until the 1st of the year I couldn't if I wanted to as my permit is restricted to handguns only, which brings us back to the topic at hand.

There is no wording in the Iowa code that prohibits the carrying of a long gun concealed however as it stands right now the issuing authority can place restrictions on such if they so desire and those restrictions do have legal weight behind them.

As for the "matter of conveyance" bill I referenced earlier, it looks as if HF2200 was passed with an effective date of 7-1-10 and reads as such:
AN ACT RELATING TO THE CARRYING OF A GUN IN OR ON A VEHICLE ON A PUBLIC HIGHWAY AND MAKING PENALTIES APPLICABLE. BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF IOWA: Section 1. Section 483A.36, Code Supplement 2009, is amended to read as follows: 483A.36 Manner of conveyance. No* A person, except as permitted by law, shall not have or carry a gun in or on a vehicle on a public highway, unless the gun is taken down or totally contained in a securely fastened case, and its barrels and attached magazines are unloaded.

* "No" is removed in the current code and is viewed as a strikethrough in the original format.

So again, there is nothing "illegal" about carrying a pistol grip shotgun concealed with a PTCW, however if you ever end up using it or are stopped by LE, expect a hassle as it's not a common means of carrying a concealed weapon and the negative mental association toward such and act (carrying a pistol grip shotty) may not be beneficial to you.

Most cops I know would not look kindly on one carrying such a weapon, especially now when the issuing authority can revoke a permit on a whim. After 1/1/11 and the Sheriff's loose some of their discretionary ability it may be a different story as the reasons for revocation are more solid. However a sheriff or other issuing authority can still wrongfully revoke your permit and force to you appeal the revocation.

If you want more information regarding the negative results of carrying an "uncommon" weapon for self defense, just pop into the TN section of the forum and grab a bowl of popcorn while looking at the posts/threads of Kwikrnu (sp?)