• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO encounter today!!

devildoc5

Well not really an OC related LEO encounter but I did get a chance to practice "standing my ground" and I was OCing at the time.

LEO was looking for a felon in my apartemnt complex as I was outside smoking, after the suspect ran out the back door when they knocked on the door and they couldnt find her...:banghead:

They came up to me and asked "do you know the people that live here?"

My response was "I am sorry officer's but I only speak to cops with my lawyer present."

The looks on their faces was CLASSIC!

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Well not really an OC related LEO encounter but I did get a chance to practice "standing my ground" and I was OCing at the time.

LEO was looking for a felon in my apartemnt complex as I was outside smoking, after the suspect ran out the back door when they knocked on the door and they couldnt find her...:banghead:

My response was "I am sorry officer's but I only speak to cops with my lawyer present."

So you like felons living next door that the police are looking for? Wonder why they were looking for them, maybe they were just involved in a shooting, drug deal gone bad, missing child but you did real good... not.

Or should I just say OVER REACTION !

Last edited:

Aaron1124

Man, kind of brash.. don't ya think?! Why make enemies?

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
So you like felons living next door that the police are looking for? Wonder why they were looking for them, maybe they were just involved in a shooting, drug deal gone bad, missing child but you did real good... not.

Man, kind of brash.. don't ya think?! Why make enemies?

I would concur, it is ok to talk to police when it is appropriate. If my neighbors were possible felons and I had information I would definately assist.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
devildoc5 let me back up a bit, if you are new to this standing up for your rights then I can see an over reaction as this in feeling you were doing the right thing.
This is one situation that would not harm you but help protect you and yours.

One cannot take the issue of do not talk to police across the board, if you are being investigated in a crime and you do not know what to say or not to day then take this approach.

Tomas

shakehead.gif

And the purpose of that response, DevilDoc, was...?

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

I would concur, it is ok to talk to police when it is appropriate. If my neighbors were possible felons and I had information I would definately assist.

Depends on what type of felony. I am no cop watch dog.
I would ask what they were suspected of, if they won't give me an answer I won't get involved.

Deleted_User

It's Lakewood. I've seen them do this, knocking and covering the front door only. I didn't ask, I just simply moved out of Lakewood ASAHP!

DSRTRCR

What good comes from that encounter, under those circumstances?

I can understand where he gets it from, however, having read here for some time.

The lifestyle chosen by those who opt to take responsibility for their own safety, and carry a weapon, in any fashion, takes some time to master, if one truly ever does. Harsh criticism from either side of the "cooperate/stand my ground" groups here seems to just be fostering problems around here, of late.

The anti-gun folks seem to be able to get on the same page, the pro crowd seems very divided. Unfortunate.

devildoc5

OK guys look I am a firm believer in muscle memory.

I SHOULD have answered them honestly and truthfully, and almost all of the time I would have, however with the recent rash of "you didn't do this right and you didnt do that right" I figured that the situation presented an oppurtunity to practice.

I know the female to the extent of I knew she would be stupid enough to come back in the house and open the front door and see if they were still there while they were talking to other neighbors.

I already had background on this as it was conveyed to me through "other neighbors" and verified with an online DOC check. The female is a run away (15 yrs old dating a 30yr old and claiming to be 19) and she has some assault charges on her step father.

I know my response is not the way that I PERSONALLY would have handled it normally, nor is it the way that I SHOULD have handled it, however like I stated previously, this was a picture perfect oppurtunity to practice.

On a side note after they took her away in tears and cuffs, another officer waited with the children for the dad to arrive and we had an EXTREMELY positive, self initiated conversation regarding such subjects as sig vs beretta, XD (P) vs glock, and what type of tac folder was the best.

This officer has seen me before and we have talked before (the cops are here at my complex AT LEAST 3 times a night...) and he stated "I completely understand the way you answered me earlier, I know that sometimes suspects talk so much they end up implicating themselves and this was a good oppurtuniy for you to practice not saying a damn thing." HIS words!

He also asked why I carried during this consensual encouter afterwards and when I gave him the standard seconds minutes police spiel his answer was "you are absolutely right."

There were absolutely no hard feelings on either side of the exchange(s) and even made a new "friend" who I am gonna hand a pamphlet to next time I see him (probably in about 20 mins knowing this complex I live in). And I will try and invite him to the Dennys meet as well.

So all in all the suspect was arrested, I got to practice, the LEO thought I was a nice guy, we had a pleasant conversation, and everything worked out.

(fyi the reason this situation turned into a consensual encouter is because one of the young kids (4 I think) was crying cause his "step mom" had gotten taken away and was trying to touch the cops gun belt and play with all the cool toys. Seeing this I handed the officer one of my MANY pairs of cuffs (all owned for legitimate, non-sexual reasons) and told him the kid could play with it)

So go ahead and yell away, tell me how F-ed up I am, how stupid I was, how much of a friggin moron I am and how much my left arm pit stinks (seems to be alot of this talk going around this forum recently) However I feel that I was able to accomplish MORE than one positive thing throughout this set of encounters...

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
OK guys look I am a firm believer in muscle memory.

I SHOULD have answered them honestly and truthfully, and almost all of the time I would have, however with the recent rash of "you didn't do this right and you didnt do that right" I figured that the situation presented an oppurtunity to practice.

I know the female to the extent of I knew she would be stupid enough to come back in the house and open the front door and see if they were still there while they were talking to other neighbors.

I already had background on this as it was conveyed to me through "other neighbors" and verified with an online DOC check. The female is a run away (15 yrs old dating a 30yr old and claiming to be 19) and she has some assault charges on her step father.

I know my response is not the way that I PERSONALLY would have handled it normally, nor is it the way that I SHOULD have handled it, however like I stated previously, this was a picture perfect oppurtunity to practice.

On a side note after they took her away in tears and cuffs, another officer waited with the children for the dad to arrive and we had an EXTREMELY positive, self initiated conversation regarding such subjects as sig vs beretta, XD (P) vs glock, and what type of tac folder was the best.

This officer has seen me before and we have talked before (the cops are here at my complex AT LEAST 3 times a night...) and he stated "I completely understand the way you answered me earlier, I know that sometimes suspects talk so much they end up implicating themselves and this was a good oppurtuniy for you to practice not saying a damn thing." HIS words!

He also asked why I carried during this consensual encouter afterwards and when I gave him the standard seconds minutes police spiel his answer was "you are absolutely right."

There were absolutely no hard feelings on either side of the exchange(s) and even made a new "friend" who I am gonna hand a pamphlet to next time I see him (probably in about 20 mins knowing this complex I live in). And I will try and invite him to the Dennys meet as well.

So all in all the suspect was arrested, I got to practice, the LEO thought I was a nice guy, we had a pleasant conversation, and everything worked out.

(fyi the reason this situation turned into a consensual encouter is because one of the young kids (4 I think) was crying cause his "step mom" had gotten taken away and was trying to touch the cops gun belt and play with all the cool toys. Seeing this I handed the officer one of my MANY pairs of cuffs (all owned for legitimate, non-sexual reasons) and told him the kid could play with it)

So go ahead and yell away, tell me how F-ed up I am, how stupid I was, how much of a friggin moron I am and how much my left arm pit stinks (seems to be alot of this talk going around this forum recently) However I feel that I was able to accomplish MORE than one positive thing throughout this set of encounters...

Last edited:

Mainsail

Practice? Why do you think you need practice? That's the most nonsensical statement I've heard. I must be missing something here, but to me it just sounds like you were being a dick. Can I ask your age? Seriously, I must be missing something here. If I am, I will be the first to humbly apologize, but I really don't understand what you think you were practicing.

Beretta92FSLady

I wouldn't have said anything without an attorney speaking for me. Wait, I would not be the criminal in this instance, never mind.