• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Well, the lady who got attacked by acid set it up as a hoax...

joejoejoe

http://www.kgw.com/news/Columbian-Vancouver-acid-attack-a-hoax-103087864.html

VANCOUVER, Wash. -- An investigation indicated that the reported acid attack on Bethany Storro was self-inflicted, Vancouver police said Thursday.

They called the incident a hoax during a Thursday afternoon press conference and the results of the investigation will now be turned over to the county prosecutor's office.

Chief Clifford Cook said discrepancies started to appear as detectives started to investigate the case. Thursday morning, they served a search warrant at her home, then interviewed Storro, who who told them the attack was a self-inflicted hoax, he said.

A motive for the fabrication has not been determined, the chief said.

The chief said the case unfortunately has cast Vancouver, in particular the Esther Short Park area where the hoax took place, as an unsafe area. He called the area "the jewel of the city." He thanked everyone who assisted with the case.

Sgt. Scott Creager, who investigated the case, said frankly that "I'm glad it did end this way." There is no predator that the public needs to fear in what he described as a "happy ending" of sorts. The reason for the press conference today was to allay public concerns about safety.

Commander Marla Schuman said Storro was very upset and remorseful, especially when the story "got much bigger than she expected."

The chief said Storro's parents have not been interviewed since the press conference. It would be "speculative" to characterize their prior knowledge of the new information, he said.

Storro and her parents could not be reached for comment.

Storro met with media last week

A remarkably upbeat and candid Storro, 28, sat in front of reporters a week ago at Legacy Emanuel Hospital and described how a woman threw acid on her face.

She spoke for about 20 minutes, sometimes laughing, sometime crying, using a tissue to dab at her eyes or nose, the only part of her face not covered in bandages.

Storro said she held the press conference to draw attention to efforts to find the attacker, but also to talk about her faith.

"I'm here today because of Jesus Christ," she said.

The strength of her faith will allow her to move forward, Storro said, though several times she said that the attacker coming forward to admit what she had done would be an enriching part of that.

"I have no enemies," she said, "In time I'm going to forgive her. Then I can move on."

Storro said she wonders what could have gone through the attacker's mind as she prepared the acidic mixture to throw randomly on a stranger.

Her attacker was very non-descript as far as a potential suspect, she said, and fit in with the usual passersby of the Esther Park area of downtown Vancouver. At the moment of throwing the acid, she appeared to be in a rage.

That Monday, Storro said she had just picked up a paycheck and decided to buy a pair of sunglasses, even though she doesn't favor wearing them.

"For some reason I had this feeling that I needed to go buy some sunglasses," she said. They ultimately saved the vision of a woman who has been partially deaf since childhood. "That's Jesus for sure," she said.

"To be hard of hearing and blind. That would drive them crazy," she said, laughing while motioning to her parents on either side of her.

Doctors have told her it's too early to tell how her recovery will go. The portions of her face that appear green in photographs were the most damaged and may result in scar tissue, or possibly need grafts from the skin on her leg.

Her surgery was basically one massive face peel, she said. She could have waited for the skin to heal more, or have it done right away.

She has been in a great deal of pain, both physically and emotionally. Her family and hospital staff have been kind and supportive. As she would become frustrated, she realized "there's nobody to get mad at. Everyone is so nice to me."

Support via emails and letters have come from all over the world, Storro said, dabbing her eyes as she described how she would move along in life.

"It's not about looks," Storro said.

joejoejoe

Well, people were talking about Esther Short being a safe place. When I went to the City Hall to complain about the signage saying "No Firearms" at Esther Short park because the area is not always safe, I got public comments making fun of me because i called the park dangerous. Then, a lady gets splashed in the face like a week later with acid. It was a benefit to the argument that I was trying to make. Well now, it turned out to be a huge hoax, and the police once again called the area the "jewel of the city." Anyways, it was brought up earlier on this month, so I thought this post would turn some heads.

Joe~

Beretta92FSLady

Just curious, what has this got to do with Open Carry?

OC discussion police?

Here we go:

This has everything to do with OC'ing.:p

The woman is obviously very disturbed. Ahh, here is an OC related topic to this. Someone walks up to you and throw an unknown substance on you, or attempts to...do you have a right to draw your sidearm?

Last edited:

ARADCOM

OC Related? Yes.

The other thing it has to do with OC is that if you read the thread for the meet in Vancouver on the 25th it's been discussed that it be a fundraiser to help this woman.

Beretta92FSLady

I think we should still have it...but to get money together so she can be housed in a hospital where she will be safe from herself.

Jerigo

Esther Short is a pretty nice park. Once had a LEO drive his car through it to get to me because I rode my bike through there on my way home when I was younger.

While I would definitely mark it safer than John Ball park a mile away, you won't catch me strolling through Esther Short during the evening unarmed. Though, I do imagine it's a wee bit safer now that they moved the transit center.