• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vernon Co. Sheriff Canadate Jeff Smith Supports Open Carry

johnny amish

I had a chance at the Vernon Co. fair to meet two canidates running for Vernon Co. sheriff. Independent canadate Jeff Smith was a treat to talk to. Jeff has very strong libertarian views and is a like minded man, he says what he means and means what he says. Jeff supports oc and ccw and wants nothing to do with permits. Jeff was willing to tell me what his thoughts were on all sorts of different issues we deal with everyday and it was obvious he was not trying to please me, just speaking his mind. I could not find a thing to disagree with him on. Thumbs up on Jeff, I hope he wins his race, he will have my suport all the way.
The other canadate I met was John Spears, his motto is community first. After having a long discussion with him it was easy to see that community first meant he would tell me what ever I was hoping to hear. He flip-flopped on several issues like the GFSZ, first he suported it then when challenged on it he changed his tune. When pressed on issues it was very difficult to get him to take a stand on anything. He believes the constitution is subject to change as society changes. Thumbs down for John.
Carry on

Last edited:

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
To Clarify:

Mr. Smith IS PRO OC. He is a candidate, NOT the Sheriff.

Either way, the Fair was posted by the Agriculture (AG) Board, NOT the Sheriff.

johnny amish

To Clarify:

+1000. bnh is correct, Mr. Smith is a canadate, the ag. society seems to be anti-gun not Mr. Smith. I have had the opportunity to talk with Mr. Smith in great length, he with out a doubt suports oc and cc without permits. He strongly disagrees with the positition the ag. society is taking.

J.Gleason

Banned
To Clarify:

Right but your earlier post on the other thread stated that The LEOs that were present made the statement that they were not in support of OC or CCW.

Or did I misread that?

As far as Smith goes I was under the assumption he was the current Sheriff

Last edited:

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
Right but your earlier post on the other thread stated that The LEOs that were present made the statement that they were not in support of OC or CCW.

Or did I misread that?

As far as Smith goes I was under the assumption he was the current Sheriff

No, you read it correctly, I was incomplete. The Fair is held IN THE CITY of Viroqua. The Viroqua PD officers I talked with were/are against any kind of carry. I DID NOT talk with any Sheriff deputy, or candidate for Sheriff.

My apology for not clarifying the difference between the two entities.

Carry On