• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying in an UNincorporated area

Tekniqe

I'm going to go hiking in Azuza Canyons, which isn't in any county (correct me if I am wrong, if that means it isn't necessarily unincorporated). I'm going with a friend of mine, and she has voiced that she is concerned about mountain lions and such, although my worry is human predators.

What are my carry options? All I think I know is that I can now carry loaded.

markm

All land in Kalifornia is within a county!

I'm going to go hiking in Azuza Canyons, which isn't in any county (correct me if I am wrong, if that means it isn't necessarily unincorporated). I'm going with a friend of mine, and she has voiced that she is concerned about mountain lions and such, although my worry is human predators.

What are my carry options? All I think I know is that I can now carry loaded.

Hey Teknique,

I don't know where Azuza Canyons is; however, you must identify who owns Azuza Canyons before you take a gun there.

1) If Azuza is a county or state park, there may be a prohibition on carrying guns; or there may be a prohibition on shooting.
2) If Azuza is on National Forest land or BLM land and there is no shooting prohibition, you may LOC.
3) With a shooting prohibition on NF land, hunting is usually allowed. Buy a hunting license and a pig tag. Pig, coyote, and jack rabbit hunting is legal all year, statewide. You may load-up and carry your weapon legally in prohibited shooting areas that allow hunting. Some BLM land is prohibited shooting except when legaly hunting.
4) PC 12027 (g) allowes you to carry unloaded concealed while ingressing and egressing your hunting or fishing area. It also allows you to loaded conceal your handgun while actively hunting or fishing. Cops don't know this: You will probably get arrested if you follow 12027 (g) to the letter; however, a 42 USC section 1983 lawsuit against the LEO who arrests you may result in punitive damages awarded to you by a judge. Possession of a gun does not negate your 4A rights (SCOTUS, JL v. FL, Terry v. Ohio, Ubiles, et allia; 10th Circuit; St. John v. McColley).
5) Rifles are not concealable by law. However, it must be unloaded while in your car. You may transport your rifle anywhere in the car as long as the ammo is not in a position to fire. You may transport the rifle ammo anywhere in the car (not attached to the gun).
6) Stay away from campsites with your loaded sidearm; UOC only. 12031 (e) applies in campgrounds unless you are in YOUR campsite.
7) 12031 (e) does not apply in unicorporated areas where shooting is NOT prohibited. Some LEOs will still try.
8) Stay out of government buildings with your weapons.
9) No shooting within 150 yards of buildings, campground, or other occupied place.
10) Don't shoot from a road or across water.
11) Only shoot at a hard backstop. I like old rock quarries.
12) If approached by LEO, don't touch your weapons; even if LEO baits you into touching your gun. Don't touch your weapons.

Have fun with the tree-huggers. I enjoy conversing with whacko-environmentalists while out on the trail while locked-and-loaded. They hate it!! They snarl. Their hateful nature is on full display in that circumstance.

Oh yea, with your hunting license, you gain F&G protection as it is illegal for hunters to be harrassed by anit-gunners/anti-hunters.

Go to the various fact-sheets on this site. Read the information many times. You must understand the law.

markm

Tekniqe

I called both the Police Department, and a local hiking organization. The lady who answered the phone at the latter was very helpful, and also commented that she would carry a firearm too if she had one, considering some of the things she has seen happen up there. The police department basically said I have to carry unloaded. *shrug*

markm

I called both the Police Department, and a local hiking organization. The lady who answered the phone at the latter was very helpful, and also commented that she would carry a firearm too if she had one, considering some of the things she has seen happen up there. The police department basically said I have to carry unloaded. *shrug*

Here is the language from the F&G Handbook:

Harassment of Hunters
[FONT=Adobe Garamond Pro,Adobe Garamond Pro][FONT=Adobe Garamond Pro,Adobe Garamond Pro]The Fish and Game Code outlaws "hunter harassment" or interfering with another person who is lawfully hunting, trapping, shooting, fishing or engaging in falconry. The first offense is an infraction; the second offense within a two-year period is a misdemeanor. Interference means any action which physically impedes, hinders, or obstructs the lawful pursuit of any of the above-mentioned activities, including, but not limited to, actions taken for the purpose of frightening away animals from the location where the lawful activity is taking place. FGC 2009. [/FONT]

[FONT=Adobe Garamond Pro,Adobe Garamond Pro]Hey Teqniqe,[/FONT]

[FONT=Adobe Garamond Pro,Adobe Garamond Pro]Get a map of the area and find-out who owns the land. Then make contact with that agency and get their printed rules and regulations. Don't rely on a do-gooder club-volunteer to get your legal information.[/FONT]

[FONT=Adobe Garamond Pro,Adobe Garamond Pro]Next, go to the park's headquarters office and confirm their rules and regulations. Don't assume anything. Have the ranger point-out the prohibited shooting areas. Have the ranger point-out the prohibited shooting areas where hunting is legal.[/FONT]

[FONT=Adobe Garamond Pro,Adobe Garamond Pro]You don't have to reduce a game animal to "take" to be hunting. Scouting is hunting (don't tell the rangers that). Have your hunting license and pig tag in your possesion, load-up, and enjoy your hike (that is if you are in an area where hunting is legal).[/FONT]

[FONT=Adobe Garamond Pro,Adobe Garamond Pro]I have visited many ranger stations. It is their job to explain these things to you, whether they are anti-gunners or anti-hunters; it is their job.[/FONT]

[FONT=Adobe Garamond Pro,Adobe Garamond Pro]markm[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Tekniqe

[FONT=Adobe Garamond Pro,Adobe Garamond Pro]Hey Teqniqe,[/FONT]

[FONT=Adobe Garamond Pro,Adobe Garamond Pro]Get a map of the area and find-out who owns the land. Then make contact with that agency and get their printed rules and regulations. Don't rely on a do-gooder club-volunteer to get your legal information.[/FONT]

[FONT=Adobe Garamond Pro,Adobe Garamond Pro]markm[/FONT]

The hiking organization I contacted did not inform me of whether they thought it was legal or not; only that it would be a good idea. The police department with which I corresponded stated that they weren't entirely sure and that it would be safer to UOC in a legal sense. The place I'm going isn't a park on its own. Just some hills/mountains that people take to hiking at, as far as I know. However, I will take your advice and see if I can't find out if anyone owns the land.

Thanks for the information!

Last edited:

Iopencarry

the land is owned by someone, be it Fed/State/county or private. You need to find out for sure. If national, or state forest you are good to go, if state park NO!! if county you need to check with them. If private, and you do not have permission, then stay off.

A lot of that area IS a State OHV PArk. NO GUNS!!!!