• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why you need a gun in Richmond

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
When we were coming back from dinner last evening I ran across a crowd of people on Chamberlin Ave and heard sirens coming.

I figured someone had gotten shot so I grabbed the camera had Jane park on one of the side streets, made her put my 1911 on her lap and went to see what happened. Sure enough, a fellow had been murdered right out in the open.

I talked to a few people and got some video...most I'm not going to show yet.

Watched the cops block off half of Richmond and went home.

That is Kenny's world and I sure am glad my tractor parts came in so I can get away from it.
Just a couple if shots:

[video=vimeo;15051492]http://vimeo.com/15051492[/video]

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Dang man, that's awful. I remember as a kid riding home from church and seeing a young guy get beat up and kicked around by a group of maybe 10 or 15 other young guys behind a gas station in what would have been a clean semi-urban neighborhood. It made me sick to see him get beat and know there was practically nothing we could do to help him out. I can't even imagine the feeling of seeing someone just murdered.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Dang man, that's awful. I remember as a kid riding home from church and seeing a young guy get beat up and kicked around by a group of maybe 10 or 15 other young guys behind a gas station in what would have been a clean semi-urban neighborhood. It made me sick to see him get beat and know there was practically nothing we could do to help him out. I can't even imagine the feeling of seeing someone just murdered.

It's not the first time. I used to work in Richmond in some of the worst areas.
Richmond really is a hell hole for the most part.

InkdNPrcdAngl

Oh S***

The scary part (for me) is that about a year ago I lived maybe 3 blocks from there...I recognize that area all too well. Im glad I got out of that area.

kenny

I've lived in Richmond since 1983 and since then I have known Chamberlayne Avenue is not the nicest of neighborhoods. Of course it is not the worst either. We sometimes seem to forget that guns don't kill people, people kill people.

The violence that occurs daily in some areas of Richmond has being occurring for decades. Some know no other way. Those of us who care and choose to live in the city are doing the best with what we have to work with. We need help.

Most of us can always revert to a defensive posture. how many of us can say we are trying to be proactive and make a difference?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
...And for those unfortunates, I save my heartfelt prayers. I worry enough about my First-born daughter going to Old Dominion in the middle of a Gun Free - Criminal Safe Zone.
She's not completely unarmed...
She's learning how versatile an ASP can be.

I used to teach defense classes and made something I called a sissy stick for those areas you can't get away with carrying anything resembling a weapon. It's more effective than an ASP and can be carried in a pocket.

I made two versions. First chance I get I'll make you a couple to play with.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Is that like cutting down your own switch? :)

This a about 9" long and contoured to fit in the hand and extend past your knuckles so you can punch with it. Both ends are pointed so you can either jab or back thrust like a knife.

I spent a couple of years changing the contours and angles. I only got a chance to use it once but it was an instant fight stopper.

The angle also allows you to push on the back of someone's neck to get him in position, then just changing your wrist a little adds pressure to the side of his neck while you cuff him. If you turn it in your hand you can apply upward hooking to get the armpit or crotch.

It got it's name because a friend of mine with Marine Resources Police wanted one. I told him he wouldn't need it if he wasn't such a sissy.

Last edited:

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
This a about 9" long and contoured to fit in the hand and extend past your knuckles so you can punch with it. Both ends are pointed so you can either jab or back thrust like a knife.

I spent a couple of years changing the contours and angles. I only got a chance to use it once but it was an instant fight stopper.

The angle also allows you to push on the back of someone's neck to get him in position, then just changing your wrist a little adds pressure to the side of his neck while you cuff him. If you turn it in your hand you can apply upward hooking to get the armpit or crotch.

It got it's name because a friend of mine with Marine Resources Police wanted one. I told him he wouldn't need it if he wasn't such a sissy.

I would LOVE to see what this thing looks like!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I would LOVE to see what this thing looks like!

I have the templates but Jane still carries hers. (I guess I made that one 25 years ago) I'll take a picture when she gets back.

They were a big hit with the ladies that took the classes. I taught unarmed, knife, handgun and the sissy sticks.

The women didn't want to take the time at the range to learn to use a handgun. After learning what was involved in a knife fight, most didn't want to go that route. I discouraged women from taking the unarmed classes because they simply weren't strong enough but the sissy sticks seemed to suit everyone that used them.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Here it is Jim:

stick3.jpg

stick2.jpg

stick1.jpg