• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

challange Mt. Airy Parks policy

papa bear

hey
the Mt. airy policy in parks is no firearms period. so, of course only people carrying illegally will be there. i would like to challenge this. any suggestions, like where do i start? :banghead:

i know that most of the commissioners and the mayor are gun friendly. and i feel this is policy set up by whiny bureaucrats

elixin77

is it a state park or federal?

If its state, than the only way to challenge it is to get your rep to start a new bill in the general assembly.

If its fed, than just remind them of the law, and that should do it.

Dreamer

I think he's talking about a city park. Under NC statute, cities have the right to post ANY city property they wish, including public parks. Stupid, but it is their legal right.

Here in Beaufort Co, I don't know of ANY municipalities that post their parks. Even Greenville in Pitt Co. doesn't post it's parks, to my knowledge.

The place to start is to attend city Council meetings. Bring up the issue there, but do soe research first. Find out if there is a lot of crime in that park. Find out what the average response time for a 911 call is. Find out how many people in your county have CHPs--such a ban would effectively make ANYONE with a valid permit guilty of a "trespassing" charge if they went to the park.

Type out an outline of your presentation and rehearse it. Ask around--I'm sure there is someone here who would help you draft a nice speech, and maybe you could even get some folks from the area to attend with you, and "testify".

Good luck.

papa bear

yes, they are city parks, and green ways with walking trails. which is ran by a so called parks and recreation dept.. which are somewhat progressive . its funny you mention crime in the park, the local old fogey's (some of these people still likes the blue laws) have always fussed that these places are draws for crime. as for as i know, there isn't much crime. but remember "Thelma Lou" (Betty Lynn), was mugged and the suspect ran toward one of the parks http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/04/29/1406099/thelma-lou-mugged-in-mayberry.html. i just don't want to be the only one there without, if t.s. ever does h.t.f.. i just wanted some suggestion of where to find some help/info. thanks

Last edited: