• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Commentator reminds listeners Open Carry is legal

Lante

0847 on KVI 570 host Bryan Suits in talking about election coverage of the primaries in the European press noted the leagality of open carry including the carry of rifles and shotguns.

retrodad

Bryan Rocks

0847 on KVI 570 host Bryan Suits in talking about election coverage of the primaries in the European press noted the leagality of open carry including the carry of rifles and shotguns.

Yes, he started talking about Der Spiegel's coverage of this year's primaries. And then continued to talk about just how interesting European coverage has been of our political environment over the last year, especially concerning "Chris" at that Arizona rally just over a year ago.

Here is their perspective on our differences (from the first article link):

"In the US, people ... spend time and money supporting the Republicans. Unlike in Germany, in America, which never had a Hitler, being 'right-wing' is not taboo. 'Right-wing' represents Reagan, religion, the free market, individualism, patriotism and small government. In reality, it is an impossible mixture: National pride, God and tradition are conservative 'us' values. The profit motive, competition and a weak state are 'me-first' sentiments ... . But this mixture of conservative values and neoliberalism works well in America, where it transcends social class -- that's the difference to Germany."

I guess when the state is your god, everything/one else seems selfish.

oneeyeross

Also, we didn't have a Bismarck. In some ways, the national character of Germany (which wasn't a country until 1870 or so) was shaped more by Otto von Bismarck than by any Kaiser or Chancellor in it's short history.

Having had the opportunity to live in Germany for over five years (thank you, taxpayers, one and all) I would have to say that if I had to live somewhere other than the US, it would be there.

At least in Germany, you know what to expect from the population. People just don't DO things...the social climate is such that the local mores have a lot of influence on what is done... But that was just my experience in Hesse, not sure if it is that way everywhere in Germany...and this was before the reunification.

Jayd1981

I spent a few years in Germany myself. I am definately thankful for the protections we have here. The police there do not need RAS to detain you. Atleast not if your in a vehicle. They would wait outside the bars waiting for people with military plates to leave and pull them right over.

amlevin

Also, we didn't have a Bismarck. In some ways, the national character of Germany (which wasn't a country until 1870 or so) was shaped more by Otto von Bismarck than by any Kaiser or Chancellor in it's short history.

Having had the opportunity to live in Germany for over five years (thank you, taxpayers, one and all) I would have to say that if I had to live somewhere other than the US, it would be there.

At least in Germany, you know what to expect from the population. People just don't DO things...the social climate is such that the local mores have a lot of influence on what is done... But that was just my experience in Hesse, not sure if it is that way everywhere in Germany...and this was before the reunification.
I too lived in Germany at taxpayer's expense for a couple of years. Heilbronn (Wurtemburg).
While I enjoyed my time there it was far to "stiff" a society for me. I'd pick the Netherlands if I had to be somewhere besides here.

Just a small not for the OP, Brian spells his last name "Soots" and he is one of the good guys on the radio. Recently joined a Gun Club where I shoot weekly.

Tomas

Guess he either mis-spelled it on his application at the Gun Club or THAT's his stage name.

Aside: I used to work in broadcasting, and it was always interesting to look at the "on air" folks posted FCC licenses, because the name was seldom the same as what they used for public consumption.

I really is much more common than most would believe. :D

New Daddy

Aside: I used to work in broadcasting, and it was always interesting to look at the "on air" folks posted FCC licenses, because the name was seldom the same as what they used for public consumption.

I really is much more common than most would believe. :D

I used to know a couple of DJs. They claimed that pretty much everyone who was on the radio, either has or will have a stalker at some point. They said for the most the people were harmless, but every now and then you'd get a real nut job.

I don't blame them one bit.

antispam540

I used to know a couple of DJs. They claimed that pretty much everyone who was on the radio, either has or will have a stalker at some point. They said for the most the people were harmless, but every now and then you'd get a real nut job.

I don't blame them one bit.

Heck, nobody knows me, and I've had three stalkers. They were all pretty much nut jobs :(