• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ammunition Laws in NC

Weak 9mm

An incident I heard about today prompted me to ask this question. Can anybody find a law prohibiting the possession of ammunition on a college campus in North Carolina? I have looked and cannot find a single law prohibiting it. I see laws prohibiting explosives and incendiary devices (Like dynamite, mines, grenades, etc), but those apply in any public location and thus, are clearly not referencing ammunition so far as I can tell.

I am aware that a college or university could implement an internal policy prohibiting the possession of ammunition on campus if they so desired, but I can't find any law stating such and I have seen numerous schools across the country considering putting such rules in place (But not state law). Note that I am referring to ammunition ONLY, not a firearm, which is clearly illegal on school grounds.

Basically, my question is this: Can anybody find anything which clearly states that it's illegal to possess ammunition on a college campus in North Carolina?

Last edited:

sultan62

I'm sure they could get you on the explosives part.

Oh, and don't preach to me about how this is wrong-I'm the choir.

Weak 9mm

The only reason I don't think it applies is this. Not that I'm trying to argue, I just want a CLEAR, CONCRETE answer. I do not plan to bring ammunition on a college campus.

"It is a Class G Felony for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any

dynamite cartridge, bomb, grenade, mine, or powerful explosive, on educational property, or

to a curricular or extra-curricular activity sponsored by a school. This particular prohibition

does not apply to fireworks. It is also a violation, punishable as a Class G Felony, for any

person to cause, encourage, or aid a person who is less than 18 years old to possess or carry,

whether openly or concealed, any dynamite cartridge, bomb, grenade, mine, or powerful

explosive, on educational property. Again, this particular violation does not apply to fireworks.

It is a Class 1 Misdemeanor for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or

concealed, any BB gun, stun gun, air rifle, air pistol, Bowie Knife, dirk, dagger, slingshot,

loaded cane, switchblade knife, blackjack, metallic knuckles, razors and razor blades (except

solely for personal shaving), fireworks, or any sharp pointed or edged instrument (except

instructional supplies, un-altered nail files and clips, and tools used solely for the preparation

of food, instruction, and maintenance on educational property). It is also a Class 1

Misdemeanor for any person to cause, encourage, or aid a person who is less than 18 years old

to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any of these items on educational property.

These prohibitions will apply in/on any school building or bus, school campus, grounds,

recreational area, athletic field, or other property owned, used, or operated by any board of

education or school board of trustees, or directors for the administration of any school."

It seems like a legal stretch to get this to apply to ammunition, since it isn't capable of being set off with a simple object like fireworks are. I also found this article:

http://www.ammoland.com/2010/01/31/virginia-tech-ammunition-ban-on-campus/

which shows that even VT didn't have any rules against it as early as January 31st, 2010. I am trying to find out if there is any way that they'd have a legal case against someone who had ammunition, but no firearm, on campus. Perhaps they could expel you (Although I can't find any Universities or Colleges which state that ammunition, in and of itself, is illegal or even prohibited by school policy on campus), but I'm wondering about about it from a purely legal perspective.

Last edited:

Weak 9mm

I see nothing in that document that refers to ammunition. If there is something I'm missing, feel free to point it out. Thanks again!