• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

South Portland proposes banning "anything that projects a missile"

boyscout399

WGME News Link

South Portland is proposing banning bb guns and slingshots and "anything that projects a missile"

As you all know, they cannot ban firearms due to State Preemption. I think we need to find out when and where this hearing is going to be on Monday night and attend to voice our opposition.

Last edited:

boyscout399

title12sec10001 defines firearm as "Firearm" means any instrument used in the propulsion of pellets, shot, shells or bullets by action of gunpowder, compressed air or gas exploded or released within it.

Bb gun would be defined as a firearm by that definition and therefore would be covered by the State Preemption law. South Portland is definitely in the wrong here.

crdonov

WGME News Link

South Portland is proposing banning bb guns and slingshots and "anything that projects a missile"

As you all know, they cannot ban firearms due to State Preemption. I think we need to find out when and where this hearing is going to be on Monday night and attend to voice our opposition.

thats bs! im a property tax payer in s.portland. would love to see tax payer money spent in different ways other than try to ban a bb gun or slingshot! boyscout if you find out when the meeting on monday will be held, and what time i will be there if you attend with me.

xd-over

boyscout399

thats bs! im a property tax payer in s.portland. would love to see tax payer money spent in different ways other than try to ban a bb gun or slingshot! boyscout if you find out when the meeting on monday will be held, and what time i will be there if you attend with me.

xd-over

I will be there for sure. There isn't anything that would keep me from attending.

ep0k

Does anyone know if they post video from the Portland City Council meetings online? I know they record them but haven't been able to find anything of the kind.

crdonov

WGME News Link

well fellas, monday night at south port city hall there will indeed be a meeting on weapons, among other things. meeting starts at 7:00 pm and in on cottage road in south portland. if you go www.southportland.org and go to agendas-city council you can read all about it. tell me what you think.

xd-over