• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

South Portland proposes banning "anything that projects a missile"

boyscout399

want to do the same thing as before?

same thing as far as speech? or in pre-event activity?

for talking points for this one I'm gonna keep it pretty simple. This ordinance is against this state law and read them the preemption law and definition of a firearm. This isn't really an attack on self protection so much as just an attack on citizen's rights, so I think my speech about gun free zones doesn't really apply well to this.

As far as pre-event activities. I'm game for anything after noon I think... Gonna try and get a hair cut at some point before the meeting.

Maine CWP Training

Can't carry on public property but you can use in self defense. Excuse me Mr. Criminal, wait until I go home and get my protection. That's like being half pregnant.:eek:

Bare in mind, there are officers and commanders in the SPPD that are very strong defenders of the Second Amendment and have spoken publicly as recently as last week on the right to bare arms on WLOB radio.

aadvark

I trust that there will be a showing of strong Second Amendment Support during tonights Council Meeting in South Portalnd, and accordingly, South Portland will have to move to dismiss the Unlawful Preempted changes to their City Code as it pertains to Firearms.

boyscout399

They passed the ordinance, but many of the teeth are removed from it from amendments and exeptions. Firearms are not affected (Discharge of firearms is still not allowed) Other classes of weapons on private property is allowed. Transporting the other classes of weapons from private property to private property is allowed if the weapons is cased.

Maine CWP Training

September 21

South Portland moves to ban pellet guns in public
The law, opposed by many, also would prohibit bows and arrows and slingshots.

SOUTH PORTLAND — It may soon be illegal to possess non-lethal weapons, such as BB guns, air guns, bows and arrows or slingshots, in public places in South Portland.

After listening to several speakers who said such a law would violate their rights, the City Council voted 6-1 Monday night to amend the city's weapons ordinance to ban non-lethal weapons.

The change does not restrict possession of firearms in public places.

To take effect, the measure still must be ratified in a second reading, on Oct. 4.

Thomas Blake was the only councilor who objected to the ordinance change, saying it would go too far.

"Are we really going to go there and regulate this?" said Blake, who made a slingshot out of a rubber band while sitting in his council seat. "People aren't asking for this regulation. We can deal with this problem in other ways."

READ MORE

crdonov

They passed the ordinance, but many of the teeth are removed from it from amendments and exeptions. Firearms are not affected (Discharge of firearms is still not allowed) Other classes of weapons on private property is allowed. Transporting the other classes of weapons from private property to private property is allowed if the weapons is cased.

like i said, sorry i wasnt there. like i said i would. watched the hole city hall meeting on www.southportland.org. you did a great job! hope your not mad. talk to you soon. donovan

xd-over

Last edited:

Maine CWP Training

New weapons rule seems unnecessary

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

By Ben Bragdon Managing editor

Dennis the Menace may want to stay out of South Portland.

If an ordinance change debated Monday night is ultimately approved by the South Portland City Council, the perpetually mischief-making comic character, usually depicted with a slingshot in his back pocket, could find himself running afoul of the law.

The council voted 6-1 Monday to approve an ordinance amendment prohibiting the use in public places of non-lethal weapons such as slingshots and BB and pellet guns. People who use such a weapon in, say, a public park or forest would be guilty of a civil offense and subject to a summons and a fine.

READ MORE

Last edited: