• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

La Crosse Woodman's

JJC

Was at Woodman's tonight (OCing of course), when a young man ID himself as store security asked if I had a badge.
He also mentioned that he was going to be a police officer very soon. He's waiting for his background checks to clear then he will be deputized in Mauston.
I informed him that I didn't need a badge because what I was doing was allowed in Wisconsin. (open carrying)
He said that since the store sold Beer Open carrying was against the law.
I said that I had talked with "Tom" (manager) earlier and that he had no issue with people that opened carry.
I also mentioned that I didn't know that Woodman's had a Class B liquor license, and told him that I didn't think that they did. Because if they did I'd be able to consume beer within the store. (he said that I couldn't)

He proceeded to tell me that he read up on the law and that what I was doing was against the law, and that Woodman's is in the process of getting signs made up to prohibit firearms in all Woodman's stores.

I told him that I didn't see any signs and that perhaps we should talk to the manager about the if it was alright for me to be carrying (OC) in the store.

He stated that it wouldn't be necessary (talking to Tom the manager) and that I was alright. (carrying )

I explained to him that the law did not prohibit me from carrying in Woodman's because they didn't have a Class B license, and that the Woodman's corporate office issued a letter stating that OC in their stores was OK.

He thanked me for the education and left saying that he was going to do some more reading about Carrying in Woodman's.

Mlutz

Great... I cannot wait until this guy starts... I have yet to have a problem with any leo in Mauston, in fact two officers were in front of me at kt once. They did a double take at my hip, paid, went out to the car, and drove off. :D

Last edited:

hardballer

Did you get this dolts name? What security company? Is going to be a police officer? I suppose the complete and utter lack of knowledge of the law should qualify him straight away. Sheesh. And Idiots like this might actually get a job as a cop. He barely qualifies to be as a wannabe.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Woodmans has a corporate policy to respect the laws of the state. If you are legal to carry you may carry in Woodmans.

Coming from Clint Woodman himself, Woodman's DOES NOT prohibit open-carry by legal open-carriers.

I'll try to dig up the old thread.

Krusty

Woodmans

The last couple of weeks I have also OC'ed in Woodmans Onalaska with no issue. When I went there it was about midnight or so and only got a few strange looks and lots of room to move around....

xenophon

There is a new Woodman's store opening up by me in a few months.

They are getting my business specifically because they respect our rights, and because their CEO setting the record straight on policy.

Wisconsin Carry Inc.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Read the thread and went right to Woodmans, just got back.

Apparently this individual was NOT a Woodmans employee, that is the information I got from the night manager. Rather the individual works for a 3rd party security firm hired by Woodmans to catch shop lifters.

I voiced my concerns about "non-employees" making up Woodmans policies to suit their prejudice and about these same non-employees giving out FALSE legal information.

The night manager took my card and said he would pass the information along to the assistant manager as Tom, the store manager, is on vacation. I'll follow up with the assistant manager within the next few days.

The information I have at this time is that the policy has not changed, but rather some 3rd party "LEO wannabee" is already trying to provide FALSE information and intimidate the public.

JCC, if you got the fella's name, please PM it to me for my follow up.

Carry On