• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First days OCing in Colorado

logan

Campaign Veteran
Yesterday my fiance and I arrived in Colorado. We moved from WI because I accepted a job in Greeley.

Now my fiance never let me OC around her in WI. I convinced her that is more normal here (even though I don't know if it really is or not). I will probably be applying for my CC permit soon, but for me...I prefer OC as it's just easier most of the time!

Anyways, here's where I've carried so far:

-Stopped in Sterling, CO for McDonald's, then we to a gas station on the way out of town
-Multiple Phillips 66 stores in Greeley (and everything listed below is in Greeley as well)
-Wal-Mart multiple times
-Target
-Coyote's South Western Grill (or w/e it's name is)
-Chili's
-Taco Bell during rush hour

Hmm so I thought my list was going to be longer than that. I either missed some or that's really everything. But I have been very pleased so far. Been OCing since I entered Colorado yesterday morning. No one seems concerned or even seems to notice. I also love being able to OC in my car. I come from WI where we had to have the gun unloaded and encased in the vehicle...which made it a huge pain to holster up each time we got out of the car, then un-holster when we got back in.

Well I'm sure enjoying this state so far. The sun is hot, but the weather is perfect! Can't wait to finish un-packing and be able to take off to the mountains!

Carry on!

ZackL

Glad you made it, Logan. Also, I'm glad you've had good experiences your first few days here. You will probably run into a few bad experiences at some point, but they are very few and far between.

logan

Campaign Veteran
Oh and one question I've kinda been wondering about...

When I'm NOT in my vehicle, but my gun is....how does it have to be? Can it be loaded and in a case? Or could I just throw it in the glove box quick?

Asking this for times I stop at places I can't carry (Post Office and such).

Thanks.

ZackL

It can be stored in your vehicle however you wish. Unless you're on K-12 school grounds (i.e. parking lot), then you must store it in a locked compartment in the vehicle. Because my glove compartment locks I just use that whenever I leave my gun in the car.

PikesPeakMtnMan

There are actually 2 laws regarding guns in vehicles on school property. Prior to just now I had thought that the only requirement that the gun be placed in a compartment (doesn't have to lock) but they vehicle must be locked.

This is really the law only for CHP holders, for non-CHP holders, the gun must be unloaded and cannot leave the car. It doesn't say anything about compartments for non-CHP holders.

18-12-105.5. Unlawfully carrying a weapon - unlawful possession of weapons - school, college, or university grounds.
(a) The weapon is unloaded and remains inside a motor vehicle while upon the real estate of any public or private college, university, or seminary
18-12-214. Authority granted by permit - carrying restrictions.
(a) A permittee may have a handgun on the real property of the public school so long as the handgun remains in his or her vehicle and, if the permittee is not in the vehicle, the handgun is in a compartment within the vehicle and the vehicle is locked;

Regarding the OPs question about leaving in the car (places other than schools).....sure, you can just toss it in the glove box, or whatever you want to do.

Last edited:

logan

Campaign Veteran
Thanks for the replies about vehicle carry.

Another question: Where all does the Denver OC ban apply to? Just Denver or all the surrounding cities in the Denver Metro area as well?

I don't plan on being around Denver much, but I just happen to have to go to a Best Buy in Westminister today to pick something up that isn't available at any of the other stores.

Carried in a few more places yesterday: Papa Johns, Kohls, Wal-Mart again, Noodles & Company

Love this state so far. Hoping it's nice and I can drive through the mountains a bit today.

logan

Campaign Veteran
The ban only applies to the City and County of Denver (they're one and the same).

Good because I've already OCed at 2 places here.

Was at Wal-Mart and when I walked in, there was a guy sitting in the truck I parked next to (I think his buddy had ran inside to get some stuff for camping while he stayed out there with the truck and 4-wheelers). When I came back out, he said "You got me nervous there when you walked in with that thing on your hip. Then I looked at your license plate, and saw 'Army Veteran' so I thought, OK, he's one of the good guys."

Think that's only the 2nd time anyone has ever said anything to me.

since9

Campaign Veteran
When I'm NOT in my vehicle, but my gun is....how does it have to be?

By law, it must be in a closed compartment and your vehicle must be locked. It can be in any condition, though carrying or storing in Condition Zero is brainless, and if you have dual-action (one pull of the trigger cocks and fires), Condition One is nearly as brainless. For OC, C1 scares people, and for concealed the cocked hammer is likely to catch on something. I have a double-action (DA/SA, actually) semi-auto pistol, so I always carry and store in Condition Two.

Asking this for times I stop at places I can't carry (Post Office and such).

Post Office: By federal law, you cannot be in possession of a firearm on US Post Office Property. This includes their parking lot! So, park on the street or in an adjacent parking lot and leave your firearm in your glovebox.

Another question: Where all does the Denver OC ban apply to?

Denver and Denver County. Please note this applies to the Denver International Airport, as well. You can still OC in your vehicle, and store it in your vehicle while you're at the airport or travelling.

Love this state so far. Hoping it's nice and I can drive through the mountains a bit today.

Welcome to Colorado! I've been to Michigan several times. I have an aunt, uncle, and two cousins living there. :) They think I'm a "gun nut" because I carry a firearm. At one point I asked my uncle, "Well, what good is it when it's kept unloaded in its case and locked in a safe somewhere?" I didn't know that's precisely what he did. He was mad...

Was at Wal-Mart and when I walked in, there was a guy sitting in the truck I parked next to (I think his buddy had ran inside to get some stuff for camping while he stayed out there with the truck and 4-wheelers). When I came back out, he said "You got me nervous there when you walked in with that thing on your hip. Then I looked at your license plate, and saw 'Army Veteran' so I thought, OK, he's one of the good guys."

Think that's only the 2nd time anyone has ever said anything to me.

Thanks for serving! I'm an Air Force vet, though the last time I got a haircut was three weeks before I retired, so I don't look much like a vet these days. :lol: What can I say? I'm a writer! Still, whenever I OP, I'm always careful to clean up and dress well. Nothing fancy - good shoes, jeans, and a collared shirt, much the same as I wear to church. As a representative of the OC movement, I simply think it's the right thing to do.

Last edited:

Gunslinger

Since: "Thanks for serving! I'm an Air Force vet, though the last time I got a haircut was three weeks before I retired, so I don't look much like a vet these days...."

Ha! When I was in, my hair was always pushing AFR 35-10. In SEA, no one cared about your hair, just about how you flew. Getting back to the states and the Mickey Mouse hair regs helped convince me to separate. Now, the kids all like short hair anyway!

logan

Campaign Veteran
I keep my hair nice and short. Pretty much the same cut as when I was in the military, just a tad longer. When most people see me OCing, they may just think I'm an off duty cop or something. I don't look like I'm going to cause trouble.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Doesn't that only apply on school property?

Yes, otherwise anything goes

According to 18-12-214. Authority granted by permit - carrying restrictions.

(3) (a) A permittee may have a handgun on the real property of the public school so long as the handgun remains in his or her vehicle and, if the permittee is not in the vehicle, the handgun is in a compartment within the vehicle and the vehicle is locked;

You're correct.

I think I'm recalling something from Washington State law which requires firearms kept in vehicles without the owner's presence to be out of sight to be in a compartment and the vehicle locked.

"Anything goes" might be "whoo-hoo!" but prudence dictates one remove from public display a $500 - $1,500 handgun lest thieves be tempted! Unless one's with local LEO and conducting sting operations...

As I'm not with local LEO and am not conducting sting operations, if I must leave my firearm in my vehicle, I leave it "in a compartment within the vehicle and the vehicle is locked" as per 18-12-214. I know, different circumstance, but a prudent action nevertheless.

eb31

Yesterday my fiance and I arrived in Colorado. We moved from WI because I accepted a job in Greeley.

Now my fiance never let me OC around her in WI. I convinced her that is more normal here (even though I don't know if it really is or not). I will probably be applying for my CC permit soon, but for me...I prefer OC as it's just easier most of the time!

Anyways, here's where I've carried so far:

-Stopped in Sterling, CO for McDonald's, then we to a gas station on the way out of town
-Multiple Phillips 66 stores in Greeley (and everything listed below is in Greeley as well)
-Wal-Mart multiple times
-Target
-Coyote's South Western Grill (or w/e it's name is)
-Chili's
-Taco Bell during rush hour

Hmm so I thought my list was going to be longer than that. I either missed some or that's really everything. But I have been very pleased so far. Been OCing since I entered Colorado yesterday morning. No one seems concerned or even seems to notice. I also love being able to OC in my car. I come from WI where we had to have the gun unloaded and encased in the vehicle...which made it a huge pain to holster up each time we got out of the car, then un-holster when we got back in.

Well I'm sure enjoying this state so far. The sun is hot, but the weather is perfect! Can't wait to finish un-packing and be able to take off to the mountains!

Carry on!

Glad to hear everything has gone good for you. Keep up the responsible carrying! Best of luck to you and yours.

PikesPeakMtnMan

I absolutely agree that leaving a gun out of sight in an unoccupied vehicle is the smart and prudent thing to do....however, leaving it in plain sight on the passenger seat isn't illegal, neither is stowing is under the seat or leaving in a glovebox, nor anything else.

logan

Campaign Veteran
I absolutely agree that leaving a gun out of sight in an unoccupied vehicle is the smart and prudent thing to do....however, leaving it in plain sight on the passenger seat isn't illegal, neither is stowing is under the seat or leaving in a glovebox, nor anything else.

Thankfully my glovebox locks. Makes it pretty easy to throw in there when I get somewhere, and take it out when I get back in the car. I also have a lockable case that I can cable to my seat, but that's such a pain to use. So the glovebox is a lot easier :)

logan

Campaign Veteran
That's good as an extra precaution, but it's not required. On school grounds it simply needs to be in a compartment. The only requirement for locking anything is that your vehicle must be locked.

I know. I just feel better leaving it in the car knowing it's locked up. So I had bought a lockable metal case for it that would cable to my seat. But the glovebox is a lot quicker.