• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Three Washington State Troopers and an openly armed civilian.

sudden valley gunner

I stopped by Sehome Starbucks this morning. While there I noticed three state troopers 2 sitting at a table and one waiting for his drink. While standing in line (it was unusually crowded this morning) I also noticed an older guy who yelled at me to cover up my gun and how he don't like guns on a prior occasion and at another Starbucks, some of you may remember this post from a year or so ago. So I turned on my video recorder on the phone but held it inconspicuously.

I did not turn my phone video on for the troopers but in case the older guy caused problems. Where you wait for your coffee order was right next to where the elderly man was sitting. He gave me dirty looks but caused no scene.

So after receiving my order I decided to take the initiative to talk to the troopers. A certain two troopers specifically Sargent Thompson acted exemplary in a traumatic auto accident my family and I experienced last year, again some of you may know of this from my posts.

I approached the officers, they were talking and stopped to see what I wanted, (no look of "authority" or fear of me an openly armed person but just regular guys curious about what another guy was approaching them about.) I thanked them and wanted them to know as a gun carrier I appreciated how officer Thompson and the other officer acted. And that I also thanked them in how their agency has been exemplary in treating law abiding citizens.

I obviously am not an LEO, I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt, and due to my attire my sidearm stands out, and can not be mistaken for anything else. I could tell that they appreciated my sentiment and they thanked me back. I debated whether I should even post this or not but decided to for the simple fact that I believe when the people who work for us, do a good job they should hear about. I am sure LEO's hear lot's of gripes and sometimes they hear it from me.

But Washington State Troopers have set a great example in treating us with utmost respect and following the law, they refused to listen to the anti's when some from our group carried to protest a bill in the State Capitol. In my tragic emotional accident last year the gun was a non issue. I even had it hand delivered to me to make it easier because of my lack of ability to get around, physically and without a vehicle. When I was pulled over coming back from the Spokane meet the trooper made no issue of it, even though he approached my passenger window shined his light in and I know he didn't miss it.

So although I have strong firm beliefs of the limitations of LEA's and ones that act out of hand need to be held accountable I also believe that they need to know when they are appreciated also. I also decided not to share the audio/video publicly out of respect for these guys who were just getting coffee and taking a break.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Excellent post.

As I have stated in the past, there are a lot of LEO that are close personal friends of mine as well as family members. I have the utmost respect for them. One of them will even be a civilian in Vancouver on the 25th. I do not even know if he will want me to reveal him to the group. He is a class act.

LEO have a very tough job and especially the WSP, they are extremely professional and courteous.

Thanks for sharing SVG!

G20-IWB24/7

Agreed!

I always thank Veterans and LEO's when I see them...

I can't remember any reported instance when any WSP trooper had anything negative to say about any armed individual, however the contact insinuated. They really are a class-act agency. Now if they could just get rid of the bow-ties...;)

amzbrady

Great post. I too have only been treated by LEO as I have deserved. In fact one time drunk in the back of a squad car I was treated way better than I deserved. Most LEO I know only want to do their jobs and go home to their family at the end of their shift.

Aryk45XD

+1 for WSP and SVG.

Thanks for sharing SVG. There are great interactions with our LEO all the time. Everybody should get to hear appreciation for their civil duty. Unfortunetly there has been a lot of bad news lately.

TechnoWeenie

OMG! You talked to them without your lawyer present... They were just trying to get you to incriminate yourself!!!

Homer+Simpson+Oh+No.jpg

sudden valley gunner

OMG! You talked to them without your lawyer present... They were just trying to get you to incriminate yourself!!!

Homer+Simpson+Oh+No.jpg

Funny!!!!:lol:

Thanks guys. I'm glad I posted, I wasn't even sure if I should since it really was a non-issue (gun wise) but me just wanting to thank them personally and make sure they know that a few of their own guys impressed me personally in a personal matter. I just wish my sticker on my gun wasn't starting to show wear, it helps to remind me of that day every time I see it.

amlevin

I always thank Veterans and LEO's when I see them...

I can't remember any reported instance when any WSP trooper had anything negative to say about any armed individual, however the contact insinuated. They really are a class-act agency. Now if they could just get rid of the bow-ties...;)

Bow ties or not, check this out:

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/44787482.html

"
The Washington State Patrol has been named as the best-dressed law enforcement agency in the country for 2008,

Agree that the WSP troopers are among the most professional LEO's in this state. I have had numerous contacts with them in a previous job (non traffic offense related) and to a person, they were professional. Unlike SOME county and city officers they don't behave like they have something to prove.

Last edited:

oneeyeross

Good job. Only one comment about the title of your thread. WSP troopers are also civilians. LEOs enforce civil law, work for civil authority and are non-combatants under the Rules of Land Warfare. Talking about us as civilians and them as something different only furthers (at least in my mind) the idea that there is a class distinction between us and them...

Stretch

Way to go. My wife works for a local LEO agency (non-leo position), and I think it is important to thank our officers. I also think it is worth the time to do a ride-along to see things from their perspective.

On a side note, and an admission of guilt: I did drop off a box of doughnuts to her office yesterday. Is that bad? :)

sudden valley gunner

Good job. Only one comment about the title of your thread. WSP troopers are also civilians. LEOs enforce civil law, work for civil authority and are non-combatants under the Rules of Land Warfare. Talking about us as civilians and them as something different only furthers (at least in my mind) the idea that there is a class distinction between us and them...

Yes I totally agree. I also believe it would be unconstitutional for a police force in the U.S. not to be civilian. I struggled with the title and yet went with civilian because most people could immediately grasp what I meant. Although I believe exactly what you just stated. I am glad you wrote your post and made those points.