• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Out of state lurker with a question.

sultan62

So let me get this straight, to CC in Arizona if you are not a resident you must possess a CCW to conceal at all? so if one does not have a CCW in their home state one cannot CC in AZ?

My understanding is that you must have a concealed license/permit in order to carry into establishments that serve alcohol only. No concealed license necessary to conceal otherwise.

That's just what I gather from the conversation though, no personal AZ knowledge or experience here.

Remmy

My understanding is that you must have a concealed license/permit in order to carry into establishments that serve alcohol only. No concealed license necessary to conceal otherwise.

That's just what I gather from the conversation though, no personal AZ knowledge or experience here.

Thats what im gathering reading the conversation again and trying to go through the AZ laws. I know the alcohol thing is funky. I guess I could wait until someone that lives in AZ can put this to bed it would be great to get a firm understanding as I own land in AZ but not a resident and always OC there however sometimes id like to CC for trips such as the canyon and what have you.

March Hare

Welcome to Arizona!

If you are:
Over 18: No permit is required to carry loaded or unloaded, openly.
Over 21: No permit is required to carry loaded or unloaded, openly or discretely.
You can carry whichever way you prefer and that is legal for your age range.

There are some exceptions:

You can't carry openly into any place that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises.
You can't carry discretely into any place that serves alcohol for consumption without a concealed carry permit. Your firearm must remain concealed, and, you can NOT consume alcohol!

You can't carry discretely into any place that serves alcohol for consumption if they have signs posted prohibiting firearms. (They don't get my money...)

Private businesses can ask you to leave, if you don't you can be charged with trespassing. (None of my money there either!)

No carrying into government buildings or onto school grounds. The 1000' GFSZ law isn't enforced in AZ.
Be careful around reservation land, they have their own rules and it can get dicey.

Of course, drinking and carrying is a bad combination, don't!

When in a vehicle, you may carry discretely, but if stopped by a LEO, you might be asked if you have a firearm, if you are asked, you must tell them. They might take the firearm for the duration of the stop.

AzcdlFred posted this:
I highly recommend you print and read this document: http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concealed_Weapons/documents/instructors_ccw_legal.pdf
It's the best free resource you can find for Arizona's gun laws and what they mean.
Thanks Fred!

It's always best to go directly to the source of the law to find out where you stand!

You probably won't run into any problems during your stay, the sight of firearms in AZ is pretty common. You might get a comment or a question about the caliber you're carrying, that's about it!

Enjoy your stay!

-MH

Last edited:

Remmy

Welcome to Arizona!

If you are:
Over 18: No permit is required to carry loaded or unloaded, openly.
Over 21: No permit is required to carry loaded or unloaded, openly or discretely.
You can carry whichever way you prefer and that is legal for your age range.

There are some exceptions:

You can't carry openly into any place that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises.
You can't carry discretely into any place that serves alcohol for consumption without a concealed carry permit. Your firearm must remain concealed, and, you can NOT consume alcohol!

You can't carry discretely into any place that serves alcohol for consumption if they have signs posted prohibiting firearms. (They don't get my money...)

Private businesses can ask you to leave, if you don't you can be charged with trespassing. (None of my money there either!)

No carrying into government buildings or onto school grounds. The 1000' GFSZ law isn't enforced in AZ.
Be careful around reservation land, they have their own rules and it can get dicey.

Of course, drinking and carrying is a bad combination, don't!

When in a vehicle, you may carry discretely, but if stopped by a LEO, you might be asked if you have a firearm, if you are asked, you must tell them. They might take the firearm for the duration of the stop.

AzcdlFred posted this:

Thanks Fred!

It's always best to go directly to the source of the law to find out where you stand!

You probably won't run into any problems during your stay, the sight of firearms in AZ is pretty common. You might get a comment or a question about the caliber you're carrying, that's about it!

Enjoy your stay!

-MH

thank you very much!!!!