• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A chance to throw out the State v. Casad prosecutor

olypendrew

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Most of you are probably aware of the unpublished Court of Appeals decision in State v. Casad, wherein the State, as represented by Clallam County Prosecuting Attorney Deb Kelly, attempted to create case law that would have authorized seizures/detentions of open carriers at gun point.

You may not be aware that Deb Kelly's office remains hostile to gun owners. Despite the clear announcements from the United States Supreme Court that the right to keep and bear arms is a fundamental right deserving a tremendous amount of respect, Mrs. Kelly's office continues to act as if Heller and McDonald were not the law of the land. Her office recently filed paperwork with the court in which her deputy stated, "...the right to bear arms is subject to reasonable regulation by the state under its police power." The "authority" for this proposition is a 1945 case, which clearly did not survive Heller and McDonald. In essence, her office is trying to resurrect the notion that gun rights deserve no special protection, while Mrs. Kelly simultaneously sells herself to the voters as being in favor of citizens' gun rights.

I am writing today so that no one is fooled by this duplicity. I write to urge all Clallam County voters who value the right to keep and bear arms to cast their vote for Larry Freedman, who is running to replace Mrs. Kelly. Do not be confused by the party affiliations of these candidates. Larry is running as a Democrat, and Deb is running as a Republican, but in this case the normal stereotypes do not apply. This time, the candidate who will actually abide by the oath to defend the Constitution is the Democrat, Larry Freedman.

In the interests of full disclosure, I used to work for Deb Kelly, but I, like dozens of other experienced prosecutors, quit because I could not continue working in her horribly dysfunctional administration. If Larry Freedman is elected, I would strongly consider returning to prosecution, because a good prosecutor is truly the best guardian of the peoples' rights.

Thanks,

J. Andrew Lauer

brianstone1985

Time for a change!

Very well written Drew! If I were a voter in that county I would see to it to follow through on that notion. I too have followed her deceptions in belonging to the republican party and voting an opposite way.

Time for a real change!

-Brian

joejoejoe

She should be tarred and feathered, really...

I am sick of the constitution having to be "defended." Why are so many elected officials trying to rip it to shreds. I don't care what party they are in; anyone who attacks the constitution is treasonous in my opinion. Vote her out.

Joe~

amlevin

Most of you are probably aware of the unpublished Court of Appeals decision in State v. Casad, wherein the State, as represented by Clallam County Prosecuting Attorney Deb Kelly, attempted to create case law that would have authorized seizures/detentions of open carriers at gun point.

One might draw the conclusion that the same thing is happening in Vancouver with the two cases currently in the system.

Last edited:

jeeper1

Thank you. I appreciate the heads up. I copied it to a voting info folder on my desktop.