Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Who would like to have a opencary at WalMart in Claremont,NH?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Claremont, New Hampshire, USA
    Posts
    88

    Who would like to have a opencary at WalMart in Claremont,NH?

    ?
    Last edited by NewHampshireNative2005; 09-19-2010 at 06:41 PM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Enfield NH
    Posts
    40
    I'm down! My boyfriend probably would be too! We live in Lebanon area. When are you looking at? More specifics!

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    lebanon nh
    Posts
    1

    lets do it

    So when are we doing this? We need to get more people interested in doing this. Any dates you where thinking of need to make sure its a date lilred and i can go.
    Last edited by kjminimo65; 09-26-2010 at 08:16 PM.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Claremont, New Hampshire, USA
    Posts
    88
    As of right now I'm with out a firearm but I will still show up with out one and take part. Or if you have a loaner for the event that would be cool to. I have no dates in mind maybe some time in October? Or seeing as how October is the start of the Holiday season maybe some time in the new year?

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by NewHampshireNative2005 View Post
    Or seeing as how October is the start of the Holiday season maybe some time in the new year?
    Now, wouldn't that be the BEST time to do it?

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Claremont, New Hampshire, USA
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by nhsig220 View Post
    Now, wouldn't that be the BEST time to do it?
    LOL I have no idea that's why I asked it. As I have said before on other threads this area of the state other then Keene,NH does not really see much of the way of OC. Some time in the new year would be better for me how about others? I really just wanted to get a group together and just go shopping/walk around the store and or town.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Enfield NH
    Posts
    40
    This all sounds good, and talking about it way ahead of time gives us plenty of time to plan and gather up more people!!

  8. #8
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711
    Is there some goal involved in a WalMart open carry event?

    I can see having a meetup or social somewhere, but gathering a large number of people just open carry in WalMart seems to be counterproductive and likley to cause the store eject you, lobby corporate for a hard line policy against carry, etc.

    The best ambassadors for open carry are those that do so in normal daily activities - getting a large group of people to go to WalMart is not, well, normal.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Claremont, New Hampshire, USA
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Is there some goal involved in a WalMart open carry event?

    I can see having a meetup or social somewhere, but gathering a large number of people just open carry in WalMart seems to be counterproductive and likley to cause the store eject you, lobby corporate for a hard line policy against carry, etc.

    The best ambassadors for open carry are those that do so in normal daily activities - getting a large group of people to go to WalMart is not, well, normal.
    No goal in mind other then to just do it. I see no reason why the store would eject anyone for OC be it one person or a group as long as you follow corp rules. It's just a meet up and shopping event nothing more. A starting point to kick off more OC events in this area of the state.What is the goal of showing up in large groups to Starbucks? Or any other group OC meeting in a public place,store or restaurant ? So what your saying is OC is ok as long as it's not done in any large amounts of people? As for this large group you talk of I see none only two people who live in this area have said they would like to take part. But if more wanted to take part they are more then welcome to join!

    P.S if it makes you feel any better to know we are not just going shopping at walmart. We will be walking around the town and shopping in other stores. So the point of this meet up is not just to walk around WalMart. Would it also make you feel better if we planned a Picnic or are large groups of people OC in a park eating BBQ not normal?
    Last edited by NewHampshireNative2005; 10-01-2010 at 07:53 AM.

  10. #10
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711
    [QUOTE=NewHampshireNative2005;1366304]No goal in mind other then to just do it. QUOTE]

    This is what I do not understand, especially since WalMart corp policy is actually a bit mysterious and in practice non-binding on individual store managers - i do not think shopping in packs is normal daily life or a normal social event and provoking private actors who have no duty to allow open carry other than if it macximises shareholder value to do so.

    The goal is normalization, not abnormalization, and besides, open carrying in packs is a sign of weakness to some extent - discreet open carry by individuals in their daily routines is what engeders normalization.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Claremont, New Hampshire, USA
    Posts
    88
    [QUOTE=Mike;1366321]
    Quote Originally Posted by NewHampshireNative2005 View Post
    No goal in mind other then to just do it. QUOTE]

    This is what I do not understand, especially since WalMart corp policy is actually a bit mysterious and in practice non-binding on individual store managers - i do not think shopping in packs is normal daily life or a normal social event and provoking private actors who have no duty to allow open carry other than if it macximises shareholder value to do so.

    The goal is normalization, not abnormalization, and besides, open carrying in packs is a sign of weakness to some extent - discreet open carry by individuals in their daily routines is what engeders normalization.

    How is it a sign of weakness? If we are going by that then as the antis say "Carrying a Gun is a sign of weakness" It's no different then walking around in groups with the weapons concealed. Discreet open carry you say is normal? So going by what your saying any large groups of people Open carrying is not normal and hurts the cause? So then the founder of this site must be hurting the OC cause with the OC BBQs! Or wait the people who pushed Starbucks to allow OC in the companies stores and won they hurt the cause? Or all the Open carry association's that are popping up all around the country. Holding events and picnic's with large numbers of people OC. They are hurting the cause to then right? As people who love guns more then I do like to say "The more they are exposed to it the less they fear it!" It's a proven fact that people fear the unknown till they're exposed to it. Then the fear is replaced with curiosity and then understanding. Half the people who fear it have no idea it's legal but when you tell that it is and anyone can do it. They start to ask for more information about. Keeping OC in the shadows so as to not alarm anyone is a step backwards for the cause and for all the work that has been done to bring it out from the shadows.

    On a side note why do you keep harping on the whole WalMart thing? As I have said many times in the course of this thread we will be shopping at many stores as well as eating and walking around the town. No one is just singling out WalMart as a place to make a second Amendment stand.

    In a hurry will fix any spelling/grammar later today.
    Last edited by NewHampshireNative2005; 09-29-2010 at 04:29 PM.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    16
    i OC in claremont walmart almost daily FWIW

    do they not allow OC or something?

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Claremont, New Hampshire, USA
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrgrn View Post
    i OC in claremont walmart almost daily FWIW

    do they not allow OC or something?
    No the Claremont Supercenter allows OC/Concealed carry they follow state law. I have only seen one or two people ever carry into the store in years. I'm in the store for something or other daily and never see anyone OC. Most of the time I conceal carry my firearm(When I had it that is). Never heard or seen any problems in the store from customor's or workers. I have worked at both Claremont& West Lebanon WalMarts and can tell you they have no set firearm policy's other then to follow the Corp guide lines(follow state laws). It's not a big deal Mike just cant understand why we want to.
    Last edited by NewHampshireNative2005; 10-01-2010 at 07:51 AM.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Jeffersonville, Vermont, United States
    Posts
    55
    hello all, I'm in Vermont and would be willing to travel to do this event. It would be fun to meet some of my neighboring gun toters to the east. Plus i just got my NH permit this week and want to feel the freedom that i enjoy here in Vermont in NH.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Enfield NH
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by NewHampshireNative2005 View Post
    No the Claremont Supercenter allows OC/Concealed carry they follow state law. I have only seen one or two people ever carry into the store in years. I'm in the store for something or other daily and never see anyone OC. Most of the time I conceal carry my firearm(When I had it that is). Never heard or seen any problems in the store from customor's or workers. I have worked at both Claremont& West Lebanon WalMarts and can tell you they have no set firearm policy's other then to follow the Corp guide lines(follow state laws). It's not a big deal Mike just cant understand why we want to.


    I open carry in Walmart in West Lebanon all the time. Never a problem. Have only received POSITIVE responses (don't know if that has anything to do with me being female, but whatever).

    I think this is a great idea. Whether it be shopping, or whatever we are doing. We aren't just doing it for no reason, we are doing it to support open carry, which is a right.

    Plus, Mike- why do you even bother getting involved in what you think is wrong/right or what you THINK our laws might be in NH when you don't even LIVE here or anywhere NEAR here for that matter?!

  16. #16
    Regular Member Riana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fairfax County, VA
    Posts
    943

    Thumbs up

    I've been OCing in the NH neck of the woods this week, including the Keene WalMart, and no one has so much as batted an eye. As it should be, IMO.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Enfield NH
    Posts
    40

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Riana View Post
    I've been OCing in the NH neck of the woods this week, including the Keene WalMart, and no one has so much as batted an eye. As it should be, IMO.
    "As it should be"

    EXACTLY!!!!!

  18. #18
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616
    Quote Originally Posted by LilRedMeanie View Post
    Plus, Mike- why do you even bother getting involved in what you think is wrong/right or what you THINK our laws might be in NH when you don't even LIVE here or anywhere NEAR here for that matter?!
    First things first. It is generally considered bad manners and in this case presumptuous to speak thus to one of the owners of OCDO who has earned considerable respect and quite frankly can speak with knowledgeable authority on the subject.

    He has offered you sage advice, whether you chose to consider it or not is up to you, but bear in mind your actions/attitudes reflect on us all.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Enfield NH
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    First things first. It is generally considered bad manners and in this case presumptuous to speak thus to one of the owners of OCDO who has earned considerable respect and quite frankly can speak with knowledgeable authority on the subject.

    He has offered you sage advice, whether you chose to consider it or not is up to you, but bear in mind your actions/attitudes reflect on us all.
    Well EXCUSE ME for expressing my first amendment. I just didn't understand why he was getting all hostile about something we wanted to do in our OWN state when he wasn't even from around here.

  20. #20
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616
    Quote Originally Posted by LilRedMeanie View Post
    Well EXCUSE ME for expressing my first amendment. I just didn't understand why he was getting all hostile about something we wanted to do in our OWN state when he wasn't even from around here.
    Regarding anyone's rights here: OCDO is the private property of Mike and John. We only have limited privileges subject to their rules.

    He was not being hostile, rather helpful in promoting OCDO philosophy actually. Any hostility would seem to be from another source.

    Further, there is no "your state" exclusion here - all posts are available for all readers to express their opinion.

    Suggest that you take a seat, a deep breath and learn.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Enfield NH
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Regarding anyone's rights here: OCDO is the private property of Mike and John. We only have limited privileges subject to their rules.

    He was not being hostile, rather helpful in promoting OCDO philosophy actually. Any hostility would seem to be from another source.

    Further, there is no "your state" exclusion here - all posts are available for all readers to express their opinion.

    Suggest that you take a seat, a deep breath and learn.
    Lol, Yes Master.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •