• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who would like to have a opencary at WalMart in Claremont,NH?

kjminimo65

lets do it

So when are we doing this? We need to get more people interested in doing this. Any dates you where thinking of need to make sure its a date lilred and i can go.

Last edited:

NewHampshireNative

As of right now I'm with out a firearm but I will still show up with out one and take part. Or if you have a loaner for the event that would be cool to. I have no dates in mind maybe some time in October? Or seeing as how October is the start of the Holiday season maybe some time in the new year?

NewHampshireNative

Now, wouldn't that be the BEST time to do it?

LOL I have no idea that's why I asked it. As I have said before on other threads this area of the state other then Keene,NH does not really see much of the way of OC. Some time in the new year would be better for me how about others? I really just wanted to get a group together and just go shopping/walk around the store and or town.

LilRedMeanie

This all sounds good, and talking about it way ahead of time gives us plenty of time to plan and gather up more people!!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
Is there some goal involved in a WalMart open carry event?

I can see having a meetup or social somewhere, but gathering a large number of people just open carry in WalMart seems to be counterproductive and likley to cause the store eject you, lobby corporate for a hard line policy against carry, etc.

The best ambassadors for open carry are those that do so in normal daily activities - getting a large group of people to go to WalMart is not, well, normal.

NewHampshireNative

Is there some goal involved in a WalMart open carry event?

I can see having a meetup or social somewhere, but gathering a large number of people just open carry in WalMart seems to be counterproductive and likley to cause the store eject you, lobby corporate for a hard line policy against carry, etc.

The best ambassadors for open carry are those that do so in normal daily activities - getting a large group of people to go to WalMart is not, well, normal.

No goal in mind other then to just do it. I see no reason why the store would eject anyone for OC be it one person or a group as long as you follow corp rules. It's just a meet up and shopping event nothing more. A starting point to kick off more OC events in this area of the state.What is the goal of showing up in large groups to Starbucks? Or any other group OC meeting in a public place,store or restaurant ? So what your saying is OC is ok as long as it's not done in any large amounts of people? As for this large group you talk of I see none only two people who live in this area have said they would like to take part. But if more wanted to take part they are more then welcome to join!

P.S if it makes you feel any better to know we are not just going shopping at walmart. We will be walking around the town and shopping in other stores. So the point of this meet up is not just to walk around WalMart. Would it also make you feel better if we planned a Picnic or are large groups of people OC in a park eating BBQ not normal?

Last edited:

Mike

Site Co-Founder
No goal in mind other then to just do it. QUOTE]

This is what I do not understand, especially since WalMart corp policy is actually a bit mysterious and in practice non-binding on individual store managers - i do not think shopping in packs is normal daily life or a normal social event and provoking private actors who have no duty to allow open carry other than if it macximises shareholder value to do so.

The goal is normalization, not abnormalization, and besides, open carrying in packs is a sign of weakness to some extent - discreet open carry by individuals in their daily routines is what engeders normalization.

NewHampshireNative

No goal in mind other then to just do it. QUOTE]

This is what I do not understand, especially since WalMart corp policy is actually a bit mysterious and in practice non-binding on individual store managers - i do not think shopping in packs is normal daily life or a normal social event and provoking private actors who have no duty to allow open carry other than if it macximises shareholder value to do so.

The goal is normalization, not abnormalization, and besides, open carrying in packs is a sign of weakness to some extent - discreet open carry by individuals in their daily routines is what engeders normalization.

How is it a sign of weakness? If we are going by that then as the antis say "Carrying a Gun is a sign of weakness" It's no different then walking around in groups with the weapons concealed. Discreet open carry you say is normal? So going by what your saying any large groups of people Open carrying is not normal and hurts the cause? So then the founder of this site must be hurting the OC cause with the OC BBQs! Or wait the people who pushed Starbucks to allow OC in the companies stores and won they hurt the cause? Or all the Open carry association's that are popping up all around the country. Holding events and picnic's with large numbers of people OC. They are hurting the cause to then right? As people who love guns more then I do like to say "The more they are exposed to it the less they fear it!" It's a proven fact that people fear the unknown till they're exposed to it. Then the fear is replaced with curiosity and then understanding. Half the people who fear it have no idea it's legal but when you tell that it is and anyone can do it. They start to ask for more information about. Keeping OC in the shadows so as to not alarm anyone is a step backwards for the cause and for all the work that has been done to bring it out from the shadows.

On a side note why do you keep harping on the whole WalMart thing? As I have said many times in the course of this thread we will be shopping at many stores as well as eating and walking around the town. No one is just singling out WalMart as a place to make a second Amendment stand.

In a hurry will fix any spelling/grammar later today.

Last edited:

Mrgrn

i OC in claremont walmart almost daily FWIW

do they not allow OC or something?

NewHampshireNative

i OC in claremont walmart almost daily FWIW

do they not allow OC or something?

No the Claremont Supercenter allows OC/Concealed carry they follow state law. I have only seen one or two people ever carry into the store in years. I'm in the store for something or other daily and never see anyone OC. Most of the time I conceal carry my firearm(When I had it that is). Never heard or seen any problems in the store from customor's or workers. I have worked at both Claremont& West Lebanon WalMarts and can tell you they have no set firearm policy's other then to follow the Corp guide lines(follow state laws). It's not a big deal Mike just cant understand why we want to.

Last edited:

M1911a1lvr

hello all, I'm in Vermont and would be willing to travel to do this event. It would be fun to meet some of my neighboring gun toters to the east. Plus i just got my NH permit this week and want to feel the freedom that i enjoy here in Vermont in NH.

LilRedMeanie

No the Claremont Supercenter allows OC/Concealed carry they follow state law. I have only seen one or two people ever carry into the store in years. I'm in the store for something or other daily and never see anyone OC. Most of the time I conceal carry my firearm(When I had it that is). Never heard or seen any problems in the store from customor's or workers. I have worked at both Claremont& West Lebanon WalMarts and can tell you they have no set firearm policy's other then to follow the Corp guide lines(follow state laws). It's not a big deal Mike just cant understand why we want to.

I open carry in Walmart in West Lebanon all the time. Never a problem. Have only received POSITIVE responses (don't know if that has anything to do with me being female, but whatever).

I think this is a great idea. Whether it be shopping, or whatever we are doing. We aren't just doing it for no reason, we are doing it to support open carry, which is a right.

Plus, Mike- why do you even bother getting involved in what you think is wrong/right or what you THINK our laws might be in NH when you don't even LIVE here or anywhere NEAR here for that matter?!

Riana

I've been OCing in the NH neck of the woods this week, including the Keene WalMart, and no one has so much as batted an eye. As it should be, IMO.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Plus, Mike- why do you even bother getting involved in what you think is wrong/right or what you THINK our laws might be in NH when you don't even LIVE here or anywhere NEAR here for that matter?!

First things first. It is generally considered bad manners and in this case presumptuous to speak thus to one of the owners of OCDO who has earned considerable respect and quite frankly can speak with knowledgeable authority on the subject.

He has offered you sage advice, whether you chose to consider it or not is up to you, but bear in mind your actions/attitudes reflect on us all.

LilRedMeanie

First things first. It is generally considered bad manners and in this case presumptuous to speak thus to one of the owners of OCDO who has earned considerable respect and quite frankly can speak with knowledgeable authority on the subject.

He has offered you sage advice, whether you chose to consider it or not is up to you, but bear in mind your actions/attitudes reflect on us all.

Well EXCUSE ME for expressing my first amendment. I just didn't understand why he was getting all hostile about something we wanted to do in our OWN state when he wasn't even from around here. :confused:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well EXCUSE ME for expressing my first amendment. I just didn't understand why he was getting all hostile about something we wanted to do in our OWN state when he wasn't even from around here. :confused:

Regarding anyone's rights here: OCDO is the private property of Mike and John. We only have limited privileges subject to their rules.

He was not being hostile, rather helpful in promoting OCDO philosophy actually. Any hostility would seem to be from another source.

Further, there is no "your state" exclusion here - all posts are available for all readers to express their opinion.

Suggest that you take a seat, a deep breath and learn.