Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Columbia, MO

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    1

    Columbia, MO

    New to the forum and to Columbia. Anyone else live in Columbia? Gotten any slack for Open Carry or Concealed Cary?

  2. #2
    Regular Member Big Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    STL, MO
    Posts
    443
    Columbia cops are known to be a bit brash, as are most cops in college towns. I've open carried there before. Just be careful to stay off campus and out of bars when carrying.

  3. #3
    Regular Member cash50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Boy View Post
    Columbia cops are known to be a bit brash, as are most cops in college towns. I've open carried there before. Just be careful to stay off campus and out of bars when carrying.
    Not that I'd go out drinking, or at night in Columbia, while OC'ing, but we've been over it before that OC is good to go in bars.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Big Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    STL, MO
    Posts
    443
    Lol, after posting I knew someone was gonna come in and say that. Yes it's good to go, from a legal stand point. Was just saying, with Columbia cops, you're pretty much guaranteed an encounter.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Reverend BCal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Saint Joseph, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    130
    I spoke with an OC friendly cop last time I was there. Unfortunately I didn't have my gun on me during the conversation, but he told me the city's finest know full well that there is no preemption, and that their level/degree of respect towards the issue is going to vary from cop to cop.
    "Before all else, be armed." -Nicolo Machiavelli

  6. #6
    Regular Member Misplaced Texan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Jefferson City, Missouri, United States
    Posts
    32

    Smile

    Welcome to OCDO and to Columbia. My wife and I OC in Columbia all the time except for the mall, the group that owns it don't allow OC. But we carry everywhere else and have never had any problems. Once in a while,we get strange looks but they have never cryed OMG M&WWAG !!!! I open carry everyday and 99.9% of where I go. We wish we would see more folks OC but I guess it's just bad timing. When it comes down to it, it's not about what everybody else is doing it's about protecting MY FAMILY. Hope you find this forum as helpful and informative as we have and be proud you OC.
    Last edited by Misplaced Texan; 10-10-2010 at 09:27 PM.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by acatron View Post
    New to the forum and to Columbia. Anyone else live in Columbia? Gotten any slack for Open Carry or Concealed Cary?
    OCed the other night just walking around town. I got no attention at all. Of course, it's possible nobody saw it because it was dark but nothing negative came of it.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    30
    Anybody know the validity of the information from the link below? The question is "Do I have to carry my certificate form with me when I have a concealed firearm?"

    http://www.showmeboone.com/sheriff/c...spx#question11

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    KC
    Posts
    1,012

    Re: Columbia, MO

    It's mostly correct, depending on how technical you want to get.

    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

  10. #10
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,924
    Quote Originally Posted by Right2BearFTW View Post
    Anybody know the validity of the information from the link below? The question is "Do I have to carry my certificate form with me when I have a concealed firearm?"

    http://www.showmeboone.com/sheriff/c...spx#question11
    Yes, have the endorsement with you and yes, if you are asked for it, you must give it to the police.

    Not a criminal charge when you do not have it, but life will most likely be a lot more pleasant. I believe the fine is 35 bucks if you are without it upon request. Since it is in the MULES system an officer can confirm it.

    I can think of no reason not to have it with me myself exclusive of accidental wallet loss.
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

  11. #11
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    This topic has been addressed repeatedly.

    571.121. 1. Any person issued a concealed carry endorsement pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 shall carry the concealed carry endorsement at all times the person is carrying a concealed firearm.....
    If a CCW endorsement is required to OC, as is the case in Wentzville for example, you must display upon request. Where there is no endorsement requirement there is no lawful authority for a peace officer to request that you display your endorsement.

    The reality is that some cops may view the endorsement as your permission to OC regardless of what the law states. It is wise to have your endorsement while you are armed.

    When I OC I know what the local law states and I will politely decline to display my endorsement where there is no legal requirement to do so. YMMV.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by kcgunfan View Post
    It's mostly correct, depending on how technical you want to get.

    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by LMTD View Post
    Yes, have the endorsement with you and yes, if you are asked for it, you must give it to the police.

    Not a criminal charge when you do not have it, but life will most likely be a lot more pleasant. I believe the fine is 35 bucks if you are without it upon request. Since it is in the MULES system an officer can confirm it.

    I can think of no reason not to have it with me myself exclusive of accidental wallet loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    This topic has been addressed repeatedly.

    If a CCW endorsement is required to OC, as is the case in Wentzville for example, you must display upon request. Where there is no endorsement requirement there is no lawful authority for a peace officer to request that you display your endorsement.

    The reality is that some cops may view the endorsement as your permission to OC regardless of what the law states. It is wise to have your endorsement while you are armed.

    When I OC I know what the local law states and I will politely decline to display my endorsement where there is no legal requirement to do so. YMMV.
    So if I am understanding correctly, I have to show the endorsement for CC but only for OC where a CCW is required or otherwise stated in local law?

    Thanks for your help everyone!

  13. #13
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Right2BearFTW View Post
    So if I am understanding correctly, I have to show the endorsement for CC but only for OC where a CCW is required or otherwise stated in local law?

    Thanks for your help everyone!
    Missouri is a OC state. OC is not unlawful. However, RSMo 21.750.3 permits political subdivision to make OC unlawful. You are not required under statute to have any form of state issued ID in your possession while you OC. In those political subdivision that either ban OC out right, or permit OC via a CCW endorsement, you are required to display your endorsement upon request.

    As stated previously, it is not a criminal offense to not have your endorsement on your person while CCW. Some LEA (cops) may provide you the opportunity to display your endorsement later "down at the station" and then if a citation were issued it may be retracted.

    Cops here in Missouri are not out "to get" the law abiding and lawfully armed citizen. M.U.L.E.S. will inform a cop that you have a valid endorsement if you display your Missouri DL absent having your endorsement on your person.

    I am acquainted with several deputies and municipal cops and I do not count them amongst the anti-liberty crowd.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Missouri is a OC state. OC is not unlawful. However, RSMo 21.750.3 permits political subdivision to make OC unlawful. You are not required under statute to have any form of state issued ID in your possession while you OC. In those political subdivision that either ban OC out right, or permit OC via a CCW endorsement, you are required to display your endorsement upon request.

    As stated previously, it is not a criminal offense to not have your endorsement on your person while CCW. Some LEA (cops) may provide you the opportunity to display your endorsement later "down at the station" and then if a citation were issued it may be retracted.

    Cops here in Missouri are not out "to get" the law abiding and lawfully armed citizen. M.U.L.E.S. will inform a cop that you have a valid endorsement if you display your Missouri DL absent having your endorsement on your person.

    I am acquainted with several deputies and municipal cops and I do not count them amongst the anti-liberty crowd.
    Awesome! Thanks for the help!

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Columbia MO
    Posts
    34
    Welcome to Columbia! Ive lived here for about two years and have opened carried with out any issues at all with LEOs. The only place i was asked to leave and not walk in with a firearm was a gas station called Eagle Stop. off of I-70 on exit 126. Havent gone back since. So far i see Columbia as a open carry city. I believe the officers here know the law and you should have no to little problems. I dont know what part of town your in but a good place to start and get your feet wet is at the Grindstone walmart, i go there all the time as am only about a quarter of a mile from it. Good staff and the sporting goods manager guy is a pretty good guy that knows open carry is legal and thanked me for supporting our rights when we firts met as i was looking to buy some ammo. Good luck!! and if you run into any issues please let us know.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by bp231986 View Post
    Welcome to Columbia! Ive lived here for about two years and have opened carried with out any issues at all with LEOs. The only place i was asked to leave and not walk in with a firearm was a gas station called Eagle Stop. off of I-70 on exit 126. Havent gone back since. So far i see Columbia as a open carry city. I believe the officers here know the law and you should have no to little problems. I dont know what part of town your in but a good place to start and get your feet wet is at the Grindstone walmart, i go there all the time as am only about a quarter of a mile from it. Good staff and the sporting goods manager guy is a pretty good guy that knows open carry is legal and thanked me for supporting our rights when we firts met as i was looking to buy some ammo. Good luck!! and if you run into any issues please let us know.
    Sure thing, thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •