• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Columbia, MO

acatron

New to the forum and to Columbia. Anyone else live in Columbia? Gotten any slack for Open Carry or Concealed Cary?

Big Boy

Columbia cops are known to be a bit brash, as are most cops in college towns. I've open carried there before. Just be careful to stay off campus and out of bars when carrying.

cash50

Columbia cops are known to be a bit brash, as are most cops in college towns. I've open carried there before. Just be careful to stay off campus and out of bars when carrying.

Not that I'd go out drinking, or at night in Columbia, while OC'ing, but we've been over it before that OC is good to go in bars.

Big Boy

Lol, after posting I knew someone was gonna come in and say that. Yes it's good to go, from a legal stand point. Was just saying, with Columbia cops, you're pretty much guaranteed an encounter.

Reverend BCal

I spoke with an OC friendly cop last time I was there. Unfortunately I didn't have my gun on me during the conversation, but he told me the city's finest know full well that there is no preemption, and that their level/degree of respect towards the issue is going to vary from cop to cop.

Misplaced Texan

Welcome to OCDO and to Columbia. My wife and I OC in Columbia all the time except for the mall, the group that owns it don't allow OC. But we carry everywhere else and have never had any problems. Once in a while,we get strange looks but they have never cryed OMG M&WWAG !!!! I open carry everyday and 99.9% of where I go. We wish we would see more folks OC but I guess it's just bad timing. When it comes down to it, it's not about what everybody else is doing it's about protecting MY FAMILY. Hope you find this forum as helpful and informative as we have and be proud you OC.

Last edited:

Right2BearFTW

New to the forum and to Columbia. Anyone else live in Columbia? Gotten any slack for Open Carry or Concealed Cary?

OCed the other night just walking around town. I got no attention at all. Of course, it's possible nobody saw it because it was dark but nothing negative came of it.

kcgunfan

It's mostly correct, depending on how technical you want to get.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Anybody know the validity of the information from the link below? The question is "Do I have to carry my certificate form with me when I have a concealed firearm?"

http://www.showmeboone.com/sheriff/ccfaqs.aspx#question11

Yes, have the endorsement with you and yes, if you are asked for it, you must give it to the police.

Not a criminal charge when you do not have it, but life will most likely be a lot more pleasant. I believe the fine is 35 bucks if you are without it upon request. Since it is in the MULES system an officer can confirm it.

I can think of no reason not to have it with me myself exclusive of accidental wallet loss.

OC for ME

This topic has been addressed repeatedly.

571.121. 1. Any person issued a concealed carry endorsement pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 shall carry the concealed carry endorsement at all times the person is carrying a concealed firearm.....
If a CCW endorsement is required to OC, as is the case in Wentzville for example, you must display upon request. Where there is no endorsement requirement there is no lawful authority for a peace officer to request that you display your endorsement.

The reality is that some cops may view the endorsement as your permission to OC regardless of what the law states. It is wise to have your endorsement while you are armed.

When I OC I know what the local law states and I will politely decline to display my endorsement where there is no legal requirement to do so. YMMV.

Right2BearFTW

It's mostly correct, depending on how technical you want to get.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, have the endorsement with you and yes, if you are asked for it, you must give it to the police.

Not a criminal charge when you do not have it, but life will most likely be a lot more pleasant. I believe the fine is 35 bucks if you are without it upon request. Since it is in the MULES system an officer can confirm it.

I can think of no reason not to have it with me myself exclusive of accidental wallet loss.

This topic has been addressed repeatedly.

If a CCW endorsement is required to OC, as is the case in Wentzville for example, you must display upon request. Where there is no endorsement requirement there is no lawful authority for a peace officer to request that you display your endorsement.

The reality is that some cops may view the endorsement as your permission to OC regardless of what the law states. It is wise to have your endorsement while you are armed.

When I OC I know what the local law states and I will politely decline to display my endorsement where there is no legal requirement to do so. YMMV.

So if I am understanding correctly, I have to show the endorsement for CC but only for OC where a CCW is required or otherwise stated in local law?

Thanks for your help everyone!

OC for ME

So if I am understanding correctly, I have to show the endorsement for CC but only for OC where a CCW is required or otherwise stated in local law?

Thanks for your help everyone!
Missouri is a OC state. OC is not unlawful. However, RSMo 21.750.3 permits political subdivision to make OC unlawful. You are not required under statute to have any form of state issued ID in your possession while you OC. In those political subdivision that either ban OC out right, or permit OC via a CCW endorsement, you are required to display your endorsement upon request.

As stated previously, it is not a criminal offense to not have your endorsement on your person while CCW. Some LEA (cops) may provide you the opportunity to display your endorsement later "down at the station" and then if a citation were issued it may be retracted.

Cops here in Missouri are not out "to get" the law abiding and lawfully armed citizen. M.U.L.E.S. will inform a cop that you have a valid endorsement if you display your Missouri DL absent having your endorsement on your person.

I am acquainted with several deputies and municipal cops and I do not count them amongst the anti-liberty crowd.

Right2BearFTW

Missouri is a OC state. OC is not unlawful. However, RSMo 21.750.3 permits political subdivision to make OC unlawful. You are not required under statute to have any form of state issued ID in your possession while you OC. In those political subdivision that either ban OC out right, or permit OC via a CCW endorsement, you are required to display your endorsement upon request.

As stated previously, it is not a criminal offense to not have your endorsement on your person while CCW. Some LEA (cops) may provide you the opportunity to display your endorsement later "down at the station" and then if a citation were issued it may be retracted.

Cops here in Missouri are not out "to get" the law abiding and lawfully armed citizen. M.U.L.E.S. will inform a cop that you have a valid endorsement if you display your Missouri DL absent having your endorsement on your person.

I am acquainted with several deputies and municipal cops and I do not count them amongst the anti-liberty crowd.

Awesome! Thanks for the help!

bp231986

Welcome to Columbia! Ive lived here for about two years and have opened carried with out any issues at all with LEOs. The only place i was asked to leave and not walk in with a firearm was a gas station called Eagle Stop. off of I-70 on exit 126. Havent gone back since. So far i see Columbia as a open carry city. I believe the officers here know the law and you should have no to little problems. I dont know what part of town your in but a good place to start and get your feet wet is at the Grindstone walmart, i go there all the time as am only about a quarter of a mile from it. Good staff and the sporting goods manager guy is a pretty good guy that knows open carry is legal and thanked me for supporting our rights when we firts met as i was looking to buy some ammo. Good luck!! and if you run into any issues please let us know.

Right2BearFTW

Welcome to Columbia! Ive lived here for about two years and have opened carried with out any issues at all with LEOs. The only place i was asked to leave and not walk in with a firearm was a gas station called Eagle Stop. off of I-70 on exit 126. Havent gone back since. So far i see Columbia as a open carry city. I believe the officers here know the law and you should have no to little problems. I dont know what part of town your in but a good place to start and get your feet wet is at the Grindstone walmart, i go there all the time as am only about a quarter of a mile from it. Good staff and the sporting goods manager guy is a pretty good guy that knows open carry is legal and thanked me for supporting our rights when we firts met as i was looking to buy some ammo. Good luck!! and if you run into any issues please let us know.

Sure thing, thanks!