• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Breaking down in crappy parts of town

Beretta92FSLady

Last night at about three in the morning I was driving home. Transmission started slipping so I pulled off to the side of the road in SODO at a gas station to see what the problem was. I did not have a flashlight, but realized that my transmission hose has split on me. I purchased a couple of quarts of trans-fluid and then headed out, hoping I could get home.

I realized how prepared I should have been. There were some elements hanging around that time of night, a couple approached me asking for a cigarette, but I kept alert of course, and I was armed, of course ;) You know the neighborhood isn't the best when the cashier has the door locked in the evening hours and you have to request things through a little microphone. The cashier took forever to get me my stuff. It was very uncomfortable standing out there like that with a bunch of thugs wandering around (yes, I am judging people who linger on the streets at night).

I thought I was prepared, but realized that I forgot to store a flashlight with my tools in the truck.

Anyone plan for crappy events like this? I am sure most do, but thought I would put this out there to remind people to keep some extra fluids, hoses, and tools on you, at least for the basics.

Last edited:

Tomas

I thought I was prepared, but realized that I forgot to store a flashlight with my tools in the truck.

Anyone plan for crappy events like this? I am sure most do, but thought I would put this out there to remind people to keep some extra fluids, hoses, and tools on you, at least for the basics.

I try to plan for basic emergencies (less so now that many instant, on-site repairs are no longer possible for me due to disability), and do carry some basic fluids, basic tools, a "car cellphone" in addition to my usual one, and 4 flashlights in addition to the one that lives in my pocket.

We should all examine our "preparedness" after reading your post. :uhoh:

oldkim

It's called AAA

There's being prepared but I am not mechanically inclined...

For mechanical car breakdown - call your travel association. I use AAA with roadside plus towing up to 100 miles.

A good preparedness kit includes blankets, food, water, tarp or other shelter materials, flares, extra clothes (coats, etc) and as it happens mostly at night (for some reason - lights of all kinds).

If I have a breakdown - I call and hold tight in my car. If someone wants to get to you - they have to break in (not sneak up on you from behind). Once they are breaking in you know their intentions.

Hanging out outside your car trying to "fix" you vehicle - you are exposed even if you have more than 2 people (both are most likely focused on repair - not security).

It's cheap insurance and it doesn't just cover "your" car - it covers you - so whatever car your in. You can now check with most insurances as they have some kind of "roadside" additional insurance. I just use AAA.

amlevin

Tool box essentials nobody mentioned:

Black Electrical Tape -Fixes leaking hoses and transmission tubing. Wrap tightly several times and for several inches on each side of leak.

Duck Tape - Is great to hold things together but not as "liquid tight" as the electrical tape. Can be used to reinforce the electrical tape repair.

I kept several rolls of both aboard my boat. With 2 chrysler v-8's there were several times these items saved my bacon.

Beretta92FSLady

I kept several rolls of both aboard my boat. With 2 chrysler v-8's there were several times these items saved my bacon.

You know, I have electrical and duct tape in my tools. It was late, I was tired, wanted to get home, I didn't think to use the electrical tape to stop the split. I will remember that next time...if there is a next time, which I hope there isn't.

I used to have AAA. They help in a pinch. The problem is I would use them every few years. I rarely have a breakdown, especially in the middle of the night. The last time I broke down in the middle of the night was about eight years ago, and it was a flat tire.

I am going to look into AAA again though, it might be in my best interest. I hate sitting in the car and waiting, that is the only issue. I am more of a "do it yourself" type.

amlevin

You know, I have electrical and duct tape in my tools. It was late, I was tired, wanted to get home, I didn't think to use the electrical tape to stop the split. I will remember that next time...if there is a next time, which I hope there isn't.

Another useful "tool" is a roll of paper towels. I keep the blue kind that you can buy in auto parts stores handy in my vehicle. More like a rag than paper towel. To make the tape repair work well, be sure to wipe the area surrounding the leak so it is as dry as possible. Wrap the electrical tape as tight as you can in overlapping wraps. Go back and forth a couple of times (I usually do it three times). If you want to make real sure put a wrap of the duct tape over it.

If it is a high pressure line a hose clamp can be added over the electrical tape. Make sure the "band" part of the clamp, not the screw part, is directly over the split/hole and make it tight. This will often work well enough you will have to remind yourself to actually FIX the problem ASAP or the "repair" might become permanent.

grishnav

Oh no, you did NOT just say you didn't have a flashlight!

I'm a huge flashlight geek. I have two with me at virtually all times, and often like 10 within reach. I used to have a rechargeable on a cradle mounted to the car, but haven't put it into my new car yet (although I'll get around to it some day).

Don't judge me. :(

Last edited:

Tomas

Another thing to consider for hose repair is something like http://www.rescuetape.com/ (or Google for self-vulcanising tape).

I have this type of tape (industrial/military version, not RescueTape) in my emergency kit. Pretty amazing stuff, actually.

As to flashlights, I lean toward a multi-watt LED in most of my flashlights, even the 4D MagLite in the car is LED...

Pocket/belt flashlights for me are 1W LED.

LEDs offer better battery life for same battery and light levels, and the LEDs themselves last much longer than filament bulbs.

Last edited:

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

I'm a huge flashlight geek. I have two with me at virtually all times, and often like 10 within reach. I used to have a rechargeable on a cradle mounted to the car, but haven't put it into my new car yet (although I'll get around to it some day).

I have a couple nice ones too.. my Fenix P1D is one of my favorite on my keychain

amzbrady

SNIP
I used to have AAA. They help in a pinch. The problem is I would use them every few years. I rarely have a breakdown, especially in the middle of the night. The last time I broke down in the middle of the night was about eight years ago, and it was a flat tire.

Will you stop carrying in a couple years if you dont need your gun? U carry in case you need it in a pinch. Especially in the middle of the night.

Preventative, carry your cell phone, carry your firearm, carry an emergency kit, with a flashlight. Dont go into bad area's period, if you do HAVE to, leave early enough theres no chance of being stuck in them at night. You should always have alterier routes planned out in case of emergencies and traffic, and know where the police stations are so you can drive by them if you feel someone is following you.

Tomas

Preventative, carry your cell phone, carry your firearm, carry an emergency kit, with a flashlight. Dont go into bad area's period, if you do HAVE to, leave early enough theres no chance of being stuck in them at night. You should always have alterier routes planned out in case of emergencies and traffic, and know where the police stations are so you can drive by them if you feel someone is following you.

One problem I have when traveling out of an area I know well is actually knowing a "bad area" in order to avoid it - especially if I haven't been there for quite a while. :(

Heck, the places I grew up in are now actually places where one shouldn't go... :eek:

Beretta92FSLady

I stocked up on LED's for when we are out in the woods on hikes, and camping. I need to put some in the truck.

Tom said:
Another thing to consider for hose repair is something like http://www.rescuetape.com/ (or Google for self-vulcanising tape).

I have this type of tape (industrial/military version, not RescueTape) in my emergency kit. Pretty amazing stuff, actually.

As to flashlights, I lean toward a multi-watt LED in most of my flashlights, even the 4D MagLite in the car is LED...

Pocket/belt flashlights for me are 1W LED.

LEDs offer better battery life for same battery and light levels, and the LEDs themselves last much longer than filament bulbs.

I will look into getting some of that.

Lovenox

Sometimes it s better to call triple A and cover your 6 then it is to have your head under the hood.

Metalhead47

My/our level of vehicle preparedness is usually based on what we plan to do that day, more for offroading, less for running errands in the city. Now that you mention it, we probably don't have enough for the day to day stuff like that. But my wife does always keep a toolkit in her truck, and a couple of quarts of tranny fluid too. If you've got an automatic transmission, it's very wise to keep around. You can run a stick shift a long way with little/no fluid before it does, and it's usually recoverable... not so with automatics.

There's some good advice above about staying put and waiting for the cavalry on towtruck-back. But if you are the do-it-yourself type, I'd suggest supplying your mind as well as your vehicle. Learn the basics of how the various bits of your car work (you already know it has a transmission, and this transmission has a hose... that puts you ahead of, say, 70-80% of the population :rolleyes:), along with some basic troubleshooting skills. Offroad/4x4 mags can be great sources to learn some "unconventional" repairs that will at least get you back to the road (or out of the bad part of town to wait for the towtruck).

ETA: Also, you'll probably want to get your tranny checked out & have the fluid flushed/changed. If you ran it low enough to start slipping, it may have done some real damage inside.

Last edited:

tannerwaterbury

Isn't that the stuff advertised by that British wannabe Billy Mays? I think THEY call it the Fix It tape or something...