• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

College OC without CCP, is it legal?

sg_pilot

I plan on visiting a few colleges up there sometime soon. Is open carry on college campus legal, or do you need a permit to do so?

Vandal

In Idaho there is no law saying that you cannot carry on campus. State preemption allows the University of Idaho (due to it being a separate political entity) and the other schools in the Idaho university system to make their own rules regarding firearms possession. For students, faculty and staff it is banned for all and you will be expelled or fired for doing so.

There is nothing legally they can do for a non university affiliated person with regards to carry, OC or CC other than call the cops and have you trespassed. When I hit 21, I concealed on campus every day for the next 2 years, only a handful of my friends knew and most of them carried too. I still conceal when I go visit UI.

I can guarantee you that if you do OC on campus, people will freak out, call the cops and the cops will respond in a very inappropriate manner. Think SWAT team.

http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/Title18/T18CH33SECT18-3302J.htm
The part regarding the colleges is at the bottom of the page.