• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TEACHERS are daily being spat on, sworn at, threatened and bashed Downunder.

Haz.

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2010/09/19/173831_tasmania-news.html

Student violence work hazard DAVID KILLICK | September 19, 2010 12.01am

TEACHERS in the state's public schools are daily being spat on, sworn at, threatened and bashed, the main teacher's union says.

The revelations come as a Bridgewater High School teacher was bashed so badly by a student, he had to take two days off work.

The assault is just the latest in a long series of violent incidents at the school and is being investigated by police.

The Australian Education Union has warned the rising tide of aggression against staff in the state's public schools has become so bad that unruly students are being declared workplace hazards in order to get action from the Education Department.

Although the department does not keep statistics of violence in schools, the union says some are reporting high level violence on a weekly basis.

"There are not many occupations where being spat on, sworn at, threatened and physically assaulted are an everyday occurrence, yet in some schools this is the working life of many teachers and teacher aides," the union stated in a submission to a parliamentary committee this week.

Union research officer Jeff Garsed presented a submission to the Legislative Council committee on violence in the community, saying traditional approaches of dealing with violent behaviour were failing and teachers increasingly had to invoke workplace safety laws.

"The violent student in this instance is seen under workplace health and safety as a hazard," he said.

"When a violent incident occurs, a risk management plan is put into place. Schools only resort to this approach when all else has been done to modify student behaviours.

"Recommendations of risk management plans usually require additional resources for schools to manage the hazard. In this way, the AEU and its members have been able to pressure the Department of Education to provide the resources necessary to manage violent students."

Education Department regional manager Bob Phillips said the Bridgewater student was expelled.

"The student has since been excluded from school and is completing his Year 10 externally via a range of alternative programs which will enable him to transition to Year 11 next year," he said.

"While we want the best outcomes for this student, we also want to send the message that behaviour such as this is totally unacceptable in a school environment.

"The student's parent is very supportive of this course of action."

Education Minister Lin Thorp said the Government took violence in schools extremely seriously

The department had ways of supporting schools and teachers, including guidelines agreed to by the AEU, she said.

Liberal education spokesman Michael Ferguson said the Education Department needed to involve police in cases of violence to ensure the safety of staff and students.

RogueWarrior

What do you expect from the little A$$holes oops meant little darlings they know that they will only get a slap on the wrist they are told that they have all the rights in the world to do what ever they want to

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
What do you expect from the little A$$holes oops meant little darlings they know that they will only get a slap on the wrist they are told that they have all the rights in the world to do what ever they want to

Don't forget to include in the calculation that state education today essentially dumbs-down kids and fails miserably at educating. State sponsored indoctrination centers that don't even accomplish indoctrination very well.

Were I stuck in classrooms all day long, having to absorb and regurgitate so-called knowledge poorly explained, with little effective assistance on things I didn't grasp, I'd get desperate, too. Add in the psycho-babble methodologies being used, and I can understand why some kids go off the deep end.

Just this very evening I came across an article that the latest version of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM)* used by psychiatry has declared a so-called disorder named "oppositional defiant disorder." Meaning, if you are a kid, and get frustrated from no-education and the psycho-babble techniques in public school, and the frustration builds to a point where you behave it--yep, you guessed it, you're mentally ill.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig11/nestmann5.1.1.html

*Don't bother trying to connect the meanings of the words in "Diagonistic and Statistical Manual." When was the last time you came across a word in psychiatry that conveyed an understandable meaning? There is a reason its called psycho-babble.

The manual is not really a reference to help diagnose anything. If you look through it you will find the syndromes and disorders have numbers assigned to them. This is for ease of billing insurance companies. You know how a mental illness gets into the manual? Not because some researcher has diligently and scientifically proven a disease agent and its treatment and cure. The items in the manual got there because a committee voted it in. Yep. Whether something is a mental illness recognized in the DSM is not a matter of science and peer review. Its a matter of vote.

Don't believe me? Check it out; do a little research on it. But, first take off your shoes and socks. 'Cause, they're gonna get knocked off, anyway. Like I said, there is a reason this stuff is called pscho-babble. It is not understandable for a reason.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
In my experience RESPONSIBILITY is not taught in any public school system... only entitlement!

Yep. That is definitely a part of it.

Go back a ways. To the 1960's. And see where the no-responsibility angle started and who was pushing it. Think back and recall things like:

"Tune in and drop out."

"Don't get involved."

"Morality is a personal matter." Another version: "Ethics are relative."

"Accept yourself."

"If it feels good, do it."

On a related note, hunt up the origins of LSD and who was behind it and what the research was for. Then see if you can find out how quickly LSD spread across the nation's college campuses. I won't tell you how its related. Don't want to spoil the surprise.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Solution: When violence against a teacher occurs, call the cops and haul their butts off to jail to await a hearing.

Or is that course of action somehow "illegal" down under?