• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Some Good News From the Wausaw Gun Show...

Spartacus

Banned
Serpent, Phred and myself signed a bunch of guys into WCI and sold a lot of T-shirts.

Not as exciting as getting arrested or kicked out of a county fair but a very pleasant experience nonetheless.

Spartacus

Banned
Yah I was thinking of Warsaw, Poland when I wrote that.

There are a lot of Nervous Nellies around here that think the cops are going to jump down their throats for OCing anywhere but we had a nice dinner at Denney's with a new recruit after the show and then carried into Pick 'n Save without issue. So all in all it was a great time.

We will finish up the show tomorrow and head for home. Serpent wanted to go right to Madison and carry on State Street so we'll see how that goes...

J.Gleason

Banned
So, just curious, how much a does WCI pay for a space at these events that do not support our right to carry?
And by that I mean gun shows that do not allow open carry. Which is ridiculous in and above itself.

And in comparison, what is the return on the investment?

Serpent

"So, just curious, how much a does WCI pay for a space at these events that do not support our right to carry?
And by that I mean gun shows that do not allow open carry. Which is ridiculous in and above itself.

And in comparison, what is the return on the investment?"

We pay the "going rate" except for the occasional one that gives us a "freebie" in support of the cause. I haven't worked one yet that I haven't carried at. The venue sometimes determines whether we can carry or not. They sometimes ask us to ziptie them, but we still carry. Haven't had any problems at all.
I've also not heard any organizer say they don't support our right to carry. We sold a bunch of t-shirts and a pretty good number of memberships. I'm just a volunteer, if you want ROI you'd have to ask the board. Numbers and dollars are not something I'd be willing or able to go into.

Spartacus

Banned
So, just curious, how much a does WCI pay for a space at these events that do not support our right to carry?

Since you put me on your ignore list you won't be able to read this but I personally paid the mere 20 bucks for our table and the "return on our investment" in goodwill and new members is more than ... COMMENT REMOVED BY MODERATOR: Personal attack

J.Gleason

Banned
"So, just curious, how much a does WCI pay for a space at these events that do not support our right to carry?

And in comparison, what is the return on the investment?"

We pay the "going rate" except for the occasional one that gives us a "freebie" in support of the cause. I haven't worked one yet that I haven't carried at. The venue sometimes determines whether we can carry or not. They sometimes ask us to ziptie them, but we still carry. Haven't had any problems at all.
I've also not heard any organizer say they don't support our right to carry. We sold a bunch of t-shirts and a pretty good number of memberships. I'm just a volunteer, if you want ROI you'd have to ask the board. Numbers and dollars are not something I'd be willing or able to go into.

What about during nice weather setting up outside the event so you don't have to ziptie or go with an empty holster?

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

Table space is almost always given to us for free. Occasionally when we pay its $40 or less. Its pretty rare we pay.

As everyone is volunteer we don't have much cost involved and we don't measure success by $ alone, the return on investment is always positive. Sometimes in addition to spreading the word we do bring in $ and members. A good show could be 50 new members, a smaller show 5 members.

paul@paul-fisher.com

I haven't worked one yet that I haven't carried at. The venue sometimes determines whether we can carry or not. They sometimes ask us to ziptie them, but we still carry. Haven't had any problems at all.

I thought it was posted? Or am I thinking of another show?

Last edited:

phred

Posted?

I thought it was posted? Or am I thinking of another show?

Wausau's Gun show was not posted. The Parks Dept which controls the use of the building requested (mandated) all guns through the door be checked and zip-locked, action open or locked closed, or flagged action open. Exhibitors followed the same rules. The building is a government building. Any handguns OC'd were carried in this manner. It wasn't a real problem.

Spartacus and Serpent did a fantastic job. As I said before, I believe over 15 new members were signed up. They talked to people, both vendors and customers, almost constantly. Even though I talked to quite a few people, with my responsibilities at the show, I could have never manned the WCI table. These two guys deserve a big thank you. Heads were turned and eyes were opened.

As far as the paying for the table, I reserved and paid the $20 for a table in advance for the 2011 Spring show. I believe Spartacus paid for this fall show.

Speaking of Spartacus, he invited every new member who signed up on Saturday out to Denny's for supper - on him! The possibility of over a dozen new members carrying at Denny's at once was overwhelming. Maybe it was a good thing that only Spartacus, Serpent, another new member and myself actually made it to the meal. It was still a great time.