• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stoped by cop at QT

GabrielSchultz

nvm

Sorry it took so long to put back up guys. Ive been working alot since this went on. {with the cop}

Saterday night i stoped in at my local quick trip. I have never been there OCing, but anyway i stoped in and had my handgun on me openly and a off duty police officer confronted me. he asked me why i had my gun on me and i told him to protect myself. He told me that i cannot carry a gun into any stores like this and that this qt does not allow any kind of firearms there. So i told him that i did not see any signs telling me that firearms are not allowed and if this is store policy then i will get my drink and move on with my buisness. After i said that he asked me for my id witch i provided to him, soon after i provided my id to him he told me to put my hands up and took my firearm away from me. I can understand why he did that, but still i didn't quite like it.

He soon started to tell me the "what if's" and i replied with my questions also at the same time understanding what he was saying. I asked him if he knew about open carry and he replied "no, and that he had never in his 21 years of being a police officer ever seen anyone open carry before ". So i told him everything I could remember about the constitution and rights and how i was not violating anything. He went off to say that he understands the second amendment but non of that is relevent right now, and soon after he said that he ran my name and it came back clean. So i asked him if I can buy my drink and recover my firearm and be on my way. So i paid for it and turned around and he was taking down my serial numbers and i asked him if i can leave. He told me that he was going to check on my gun to make sure it wasn't stolen.

We steped outside and i asked him something else that i cant remember right now sorry. But he told me that if i dont be quiet that he will take my firearm away from me put it away at the station until i can prove that it is mine and he would like to see me prove it is, So at that moment i pulled out my papers and showed him them. He still wouldn't let me be on my way ran my numbers they came back clean and wouldn't give me my gun back. I asked him why and he wouldn't reply, So he called my mom over talked to her and gave her my gun and clip.

Over all he waisted 30 mins of my time. He did however tell me that if he see's me with my gun on me again that he will take it away from me. Really just to try to scare me into not doing it anymore and it didn't work I still and always will OC. I know that he cant do that, but from now on I wont give any of my info away like that again. I knew not to give any info away but I still gave it to him. Ive never had any problems with law enforcement while OCing its always been a head nod or just a look.

This is my first negative OC encounter with a police officer. I am vary sure that it will not be the last.

But again I am sorry fellas for taking it down but it should be easier to read.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
No offense. I'm sure you have a good story to tell. But, it is my personal policy to not read posts that omit capitalization and paragraphs.

cshoff

<snip>.....what do you think

No offense, but I find your post VERY hard to read. Your punctuation, grammar, and use/lack of use of capital letters is horrendous. It would be a LOT easier to make heads or tails out of your encounter, and make suggestions about it, if your post was more legible.

From what I can gather, it sounds like you may have volunteered TOO MUCH information and perhaps engaged in conversation that would have been better left unsaid. In addition, it sounds like you were trying to use the US Constitution and Missouri Constitution to support your point of view rather than citing state statute(s) and local ordinance(s). Like it or not, LEO's generally aren't impressed with cites from the Constitution. If, on the other hand, you would have been able to cite a local ordinance and explain that, under whatever local ordinance that was and Chapter 571 of the Missouri Revised Statutes, openly carrying a firearm is NOT unlawful provided that you are lawfully entitled to possess said firearm, the LEO in question may have been more receptive to your viewpoint and he may have backed off a bit. Judging by what you wrote, it sounds like you may well have escalated the situation, rather than making it better.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
No offense, but I find your post VERY hard to read.

Thanks for mentioning that. I should have included it in mine. Otherwise, my post comes off as being a silly grammarian.

i see the op're deleted his post i guess he didnt care for being told hes hard to read gzus youd think he could take a hint and just make some edits note to self next time just ask the postertoaddcapsandpunkshooayshun.

Tomas

No offense. I'm sure you have a good story to tell. But, it is my personal policy to not read posts that omit capitalization and paragraphs.

No offense, but I find your post VERY hard to read.

Thanks for mentioning that. I should have included it in mine. Otherwise, my post comes off as being a silly grammarian.

i see the op're deleted his post i guess he didnt care for being told hes hard to read gzus youd think he could take a hint and just make some edits note to self next time just ask the postertoaddcapsandpunkshooayshun.

No, actually it was more of a snobbish grammarian put-down, Citizen. I expected better of you. :(

I can understand the OP deleting his post after being slapped in the face and told he's not even worth reading.

Sorry for the reception you got, Gabriel.

Take care.

eb31

Actually, I think you handled yourself very well....including handing over your ID when asked.

I'm literally sick and tired of the wiseasses that think it's standard policy for permit carriers to reply with..."Am I being detained?", "Am I free to go?", "I don't have ID on me", "Am I required to answer that?", "I dont think where I live is relevant"....and so on and so forth.

Look, all you @$#%house lawyers, how about instead of trying to be witty and cute..and crying "foul!" everytime you see a cop and think your constitutional rights are being trampled...

How about...."How are you Officer so and so...Is there a problem?", "Yes, sir. Here's my ID"....and from there you've already presented yourself as a decent, contributing member of society who's done nothing wrong and is willing to be cooperative and have a decent conversation with a cop. Maybe...just maybe...when all is said and done the cop will go home and hit google and school himself on recent law changes ect.

Coming off like some comic book reading, living in moms attic smartass is never a good idea and will only cause you and the rest of us problems.

OP, this was not directed at you...as I said...you handled yourself extremely well even with a jerk cop. This is directed to the "superhero squad" of carriers that run around with their video cameras purposely running up and down the road trying to piss off the anti's just to get some Youtube airtime. Morons.

cshoff

Actually, I think you handled yourself very well....including handing over your ID when asked.

I'm literally sick and tired of the wiseasses that think it's standard policy for permit carriers to reply with..."Am I being detained?", "Am I free to go?", "I don't have ID on me", "Am I required to answer that?", "I dont think where I live is relevant"....and so on and so forth.

Look, all you @$#%house lawyers, how about instead of trying to be witty and cute..and crying "foul!" everytime you see a cop and think your constitutional rights are being trampled...

How about...."How are you Officer so and so...Is there a problem?", "Yes, sir. Here's my ID"....and from there you've already presented yourself as a decent, contributing member of society who's done nothing wrong and is willing to be cooperative and have a decent conversation with a cop. Maybe...just maybe...when all is said and done the cop will go home and hit google and school himself on recent law changes ect.

Coming off like some comic book reading, living in moms attic smartass is never a good idea and will only cause you and the rest of us problems.

OP, this was not directed at you...as I said...you handled yourself extremely well even with a jerk cop. This is directed to the "superhero squad" of carriers that run around with their video cameras purposely running up and down the road trying to piss off the anti's just to get some Youtube airtime. Morons.

Since I am the only one that replied to this thread with any criticism of the way GS "handled himself" in this situation, then I can only assume that your "@$#%house lawyers", "smartass", and "morons" comments were directed at me.

First let me just say that I don't walk around with a recording device or video camera at the ready while I try "to piss off the anti's just to get some Youtube airtime.". I never have. I open carry on a limited basis in a very rural area where I know most of the LEO's and the sheriff is very gun friendly. I am quite capable of handling myself and choosing my statements wisely in the event I think my "constitutional rights are being trampled".

Second, the criticisms I had of GS are the same criticisms I would have had REGARDLESS of the reason why he was being "harassed" by an LEO; whether it was because he was openly carrying a firearm, or because he was wearing a certain color of shirt the LEO didn't care for. It makes no difference. It is never a good idea to volunteer TOO MUCH information (check with your attorney on that if you'd like to run it by a "@$#%house lawyer" and see if he/she agrees). Attorneys generally suggest you limit statements you make to a LEO in a official capacity so you don't say something that might incriminate yourself (which, BTW, people do all the time).

In addition, it is also wise to avoid off-topic chit chat and/or conversation with a cop when he is trying to "find something" on you, which is obviously what this officer was attempting to do. You might think you are helping your situation by proving to this officer that you are just a "good ole' boy", but I can assure you that he couldn't care less, and you're just as likely to say something incriminating or something that could invite further investigation and more scrutiny of you and your possessions if you don't keep your mouth closed.

There is nothing at all wrong with having a conversation with a cop. A cop that is currently investigating you, however, is a totally different ballgame. Remember, anything you say can and will be used against you, whether you've been read your rights or not.

eb31

I could have clarified...my comments were not directed at anyone inparticular. Didnt think I had to. Apparently I was wrong. Dont be so paranoid, not everyone is talking about you.

A "good ole boy"? LMAO. I said....decent, contributing member of society. Don't let the the location in my profile fool you. I'm not from Tn and far from a "good ole boy" lol..... good laugh out of that one. But you enjoy your stereotyping. It clearly suits you.

I love readimg comments by ppl that are completely paranoid of others..and LE. Yea, that comment was directed at you. So there's no mistake.

Last edited:

WisconsinPI

Sorry it took so long to put back up guys. Ive been working alot since this went on. {with the cop}

Saterday night i stoped in at my local quick trip. I have never been there OCing, but anyway i stoped in and had my handgun on me openly and a off duty police officer confronted me. he asked me why i had my gun on me and i told him to protect myself. He told me that i cannot carry a gun into any stores like this and that this qt does not allow any kind of firearms there. So i told him that i did not see any signs telling me that firearms are not allowed and if this is store policy then i will get my drink and move on with my buisness. After i said that he asked me for my id witch i provided to him, soon after i provided my id to him he told me to put my hands up and took my firearm away from me. I can understand why he did that, but still i didn't quite like it.

He soon started to tell me the "what if's" and i replied with my questions also at the same time understanding what he was saying. I asked him if he knew about open carry and he replied "no, and that he had never in his 21 years of being a police officer ever seen anyone open carry before ". So i told him everything I could remember about the constitution and rights and how i was not violating anything. He went off to say that he understands the second amendment but non of that is relevent right now, and soon after he said that he ran my name and it came back clean. So i asked him if I can buy my drink and recover my firearm and be on my way. So i paid for it and turned around and he was taking down my serial numbers and i asked him if i can leave. He told me that he was going to check on my gun to make sure it wasn't stolen.

We steped outside and i asked him something else that i cant remember right now sorry. But he told me that if i dont be quiet that he will take my firearm away from me put it away at the station until i can prove that it is mine and he would like to see me prove it is, So at that moment i pulled out my papers and showed him them. He still wouldn't let me be on my way ran my numbers they came back clean and wouldn't give me my gun back. I asked him why and he wouldn't reply, So he called my mom over talked to her and gave her my gun and clip.

Over all he waisted 30 mins of my time. He did however tell me that if he see's me with my gun on me again that he will take it away from me. Really just to try to scare me into not doing it anymore and it didn't work I still and always will OC. I know that he cant do that, but from now on I wont give any of my info away like that again. I knew not to give any info away but I still gave it to him. Ive never had any problems with law enforcement while OCing its always been a head nod or just a look.

This is my first negative OC encounter with a police officer. I am vary sure that it will not be the last.

But again I am sorry fellas for taking it down but it should be easier to read.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EoqjzaasRI&NR=1

cshoff

I could have clarified...my comments were not directed at anyone inparticular. Didnt think I had to. Apparently I was wrong. Dont be so paranoid, not everyone is talking about you.

A "good ole boy"? LMAO. I said....decent, contributing member of society. Don't let the the location in my profile fool you. I'm not from Tn and far from a "good ole boy" lol..... good laugh out of that one. But you enjoy your stereotyping. It clearly suits you.

I love readimg comments by ppl that are completely paranoid of others..and LE. Yea, that comment was directed at you. So there's no mistake.

There is a big difference between being paranoid and knowing how law enforcement works. I have a number of good friends who are LEO's and they'll be the first people to tell you (friend to friend), that if they start asking questions, SHUT YOUR MOUTH. They are NOT there to be your friend or have a friendly discussion with you, they are there to try to find out if you will give them a reason to arrest you.

Finally, you can get off of your little high horse. I paid no attention whatsoever to where you were from when I made the "good ole' boy" comment (who's paranoid now?). It was a generalization that I made to illustrate a point, not a stereotype or a "shot" at anyone. The point still stands; an LEO who is investigating you couldn't give a rat's behind as to whether or not you are trying to portray yourself as a "decent, contributing member of society". That means nothing to that LEO at that time. But you better believe he'll let you run your mouth as long as you want, waiting for you to say something incriminating.

peterarthur

There is a big difference between being paranoid and knowing how law enforcement works. I have a number of good friends who are LEO's and they'll be the first people to tell you (friend to friend), that if they start asking questions, SHUT YOUR MOUTH. They are NOT there to be your friend or have a friendly discussion with you, they are there to try to find out if you will give them a reason to arrest you.

Finally, you can get off of your little high horse. I paid no attention whatsoever to where you were from when I made the "good ole' boy" comment (who's paranoid now?). It was a generalization that I made to illustrate a point, not a stereotype or a "shot" at anyone. The point still stands; an LEO who is investigating you couldn't give a rat's behind as to whether or not you are trying to portray yourself as a "decent, contributing member of society". That means nothing to that LEO at that time. But you better believe he'll let you run your mouth as long as you want, waiting for you to say something incriminating.

This is precisely why I try to limit my conversation with police to questions. You cannot lie or incriminate yourself when you are asking questions. It also puts you in charge of the conversation. And most of my questions are limited to, "Am I being detained?", "Am I under arrest?", "Can I go now?", "What is your badge ID?", "Am I under suspicion of a crime?", etc. You can stonewall them indefinitely that way. They eventually get tired and let you go.

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
Just wandering is the off duty police officer was in uniform or not. I would have asked for badge and ID, before giving mine, if he ordered my weapon I would order a supervisor.

Friendly and Respectful Officer - I will take to all day
Rude and Disrespectful Officer - If he stops me from walking away, I clam up and become a "pain in the a$$"

But I see cops as servants and treat them as such, yes I have pissed off more than a few LEOs but I always walk away smiling, but officers are more often respectful than not, theres just those few bad apples or group mentality types.

XDSTEEL

Are you serious? Hey I got no problem showing respect to LEOs when they are being respectful back. However, it is Every American's duty to know and understand the laws of the United States and to stand up against the tyranny of certiain LEOs in communities around your community. If I am doing nothing wrong why should I go to jail because a LEO drops the ball and I am screwed.

If you want to show them your ID and tell them where you live thats fine too. I don't go around town youtubing every encounter ( which there are not many) and thats my choice.

eb31

Just wandering is the off duty police officer was in uniform or not. I would have asked for badge and ID, before giving mine, if he ordered my weapon I would order a supervisor.

Rude and Disrespectful Officer - If he stops me from walking away, I clam up and become a "pain in the a$$"

But I see cops as servants and treat them as such, yes I have pissed off more than a few LEOs but I always walk away smiling, but officers are more often respectful than not, theres just those few bad apples or group mentality types.

Well said!

Others should take notes.

GabrielSchultz

He was in uniform

cash50

eb, you can do what you want, that's fine. But giving up ID was not necessary here. Many states don't require it. In Missouri, cops need RAS - and that only allows them to get your "name, address, business abroad and whither he is going". Here, look:
http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C000-099/0840000710.HTM

Also, there is case law where a judge ruled that OC'ing is not RAS to detain someone. Read here:
http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-...cannot-detain-people-for-openly-carrying-guns

If you had half a brain, you would think most OC'ers are good guys. Who would go around advertising to the world he is carrying if he was a felon?? Or if he stole the gun?

You have the system backwards. It's on them to prove we aren't "decent, contributing" members of society-whatever the **** that means (sounds like opinion based bs).

As for the video recording, it is useful tool for someone who needs an objective voice to show that they are not breaking the law.