• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Local PGS Gun Shops

GoHuskies5

Hello,

I just moved to the Seattle area, and I was hoping some of you could help me. I would like to build/buy an AR15 in the near future, and I was wondering if some of you could reccomend any gun shops in the greater PGS area.

Thanks in advance.

k.rollin

Rainier Arms and Mary's Pistols are the two shops that spring to my mind down south. AR15s aren't difficult, as long as you have the appropriate tools. Stripped lowers can be assembled with pretty basic stuff. Assembling an upper is the tricky part, so for a first build, I'd be inclined to suggest a pre-assembled upper. You can buy kits that include everything but a stripped lower starting at around $450 from Del-Ton or DPMS, both of which are decent entry level AR platform weapons. If you want top end gear on a budget (relatively speaking), Bravo Company Machine is the way to go in my opinion.

amlevin

Likewise on k.rollin's recommendations. I have built several AR-15's with my latest being built on a Stag Arms stripped lower. I picked it up at West Coast Armory in Bellevue for just over $100.

Del-ton is great for the parts necessary to finish. Reasonable prices and quick turnaround time on orders. Don't overlook Midway-USA or Brownell's either.

Buying a lower over the internet can be expensive as it has to be sent to an FFL. They will charge a transfer fee and now have to also collect any sales tax on the purchase price. I prefer to buy those locally. I also take a trigger/hammer pin and take-down pin with me when buying. I can then see if the holes in the lower are tight. Hard to do when mail-ordering.

SpyderTattoo

Lots of unbuilt lowers to behad at the WAC gunshows, Puyallup and Monroe. You just missed the Monroe show this weekend, but we're having another in two weeks, Oct. 2nd and 3rd, at Monroe fairgrounds. You must be a member to purchase the lower though.

xxx.jakk.xxx

Ok, it's probably been discussed before but I have a quick question. About how much does an AR15 cost if you buy the Upper and a Stripped Lower and such? I know that for a complete one I can't find any for under $1,000 chambered in .223/5.56.

amlevin

Ok, it's probably been discussed before but I have a quick question. About how much does an AR15 cost if you buy the Upper and a Stripped Lower and such? I know that for a complete one I can't find any for under $1,000 chambered in .223/5.56.

Start here:

http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Rifle_Kits_16_s/57.htm

as an example an M-4 Kit, complete but not including the stripped lower is $465. A stripped lower is available locally for around $100-$125 (based on Stag Arms I recently purchased). Add shipping which should be less than $50.

Total price should be in the range of $750 or so. Sales tax will be on the lower you purchase locally.

If this is your first build, be sure and get a good "armorers tool" like this one:

http://www.del-ton.com/Multi_Tool_p/tl1020.htm

You will need it to install the barrel nut and to tighten the stock nut. The only other special tool you will require is "Patience".

xxx.jakk.xxx

Thank you for the information. =]

That would definitely save me some cash. I'll have to remember it when I decide it's time to get an AR. Until then, my money goes towards my WASR-10. @_@

Metalhead47

amlevin

Metalhead47

Bud's doesn't charge shipping on firearms but don't forget your local FFL WILL charge a transfer fee and collect the sales tax. Depending on who the FFL is, this can add another $100 or so.

Yup. So much for the good ol' days :banghead:. But even with that, still under $1000 in-hands. Call around and you can still find FFLs who will do a transfer for $50 or less. Last I checked, that's what DGS charges, and Greene's in Oak Harbor is like $35.

amlevin

Yup. So much for the good ol' days :banghead:. But even with that, still under $1000 in-hands. Call around and you can still find FFLs who will do a transfer for $50 or less. Last I checked, that's what DGS charges, and Greene's in Oak Harbor is like $35.

I'm a "builder" even if the price is close. I get it the way I want it, have the fun of building, and don't have to drive 200 miles looking for a lower transfer fee. Everything that I need is delivered to my door and I can pick up a couple of lowers at one time, within 10 miles, to support my next project or two.

Everyone will do what's best for them.

gsx1138

I also have a DPMS and love it. Total with tax and FFL fee was $974. That's actually about midrange to high for DPMS. You can get them for a lot cheaper.

I've been debating buying a completed upper. But I'd like to try my hand at putting one together. Not sure how but I'd like to give it a shot. I was nervous putting my lower together but was pretty damn proud when I pulled the trigger and it went "click". I've got an AR multi-wrench but any other advice I'd love it. The lower I put together is also DPMS. I'm want an 18 to 20 inch barrel for it since my AP4 is a 16.

I believe a poster here, sirpuma, still does FFL transfers for posters on this forum for dirt cheap.

xxx.jakk.xxx

I may have to do the AR15 Build prior to getting a WASR-10. I need to save money for a Motorcycle I'm trying to get, so I shouldn't be spending a full $1,000 on a gun when I could get another one I like for 3/4 of the price. By the way, the WASR-10 I was looking at turned out to be $1,000. @_@

Mainsail

I got my lower from Mary's Pistols and built it up myself. Dan used to loan you the tool if you needed it. I ended up buying the complete upper from CMMG. All these were purchased from Mary's.

0ac0f5d7-7343-4350-92ad-ef1af5461b7f.jpg