View Poll Results: Do You use the Ignore Feature on trolls?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • All trolls, even regulars. - Responding to them is a waist of time.

4 19.05%
  • Only the most obnoxious. - I manually ignore the rest on a comment by comment basis.

11 52.38%
  • No - I don't let them get away with it and respond to their posts.

4 19.05%
  • I don't know the question because I have simmonsjoe ignored.

2 9.52%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ignore feature.

Question Ignore feature.

This is a poll ONLY.
    This is NOT intended to become a flame-fest.
    DON'T RESPOND AT ALL, JUST VOTE.

Do you use the IGNORE FEATURE to block 'trolls?'
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Don't even think about it, NO RESPONSES.
    Last edited by simmonsjoe; 09-19-2010 at 09:41 AM.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Sorry, had to do it. My answer is not there.

I ignore nobody. I like the amusement that some people provide.

i agree, but didnt want to be first,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by rodbender View Post
    Sorry, had to do it. My answer is not there.

I ignore nobody. I like the amusement that some people provide.

i ignore nobody. sometimes they write things of importance.
    i try to befriend the minor trolls, they just want acceptance.
    i try to read and ignore the medium trolls, they try to make an unpopular point.
    i try to read and ignore the master trolls, untill i can take it no more,
    then i try to post a non-flame rebuttal to kill what ever action they have stirred up.

that works,,,,often.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

I chose the third response, although on occasion, I've put people on ignore, temporarily, when they're clearly baiting or insulting me and the mods won't do anything about it. Haven't had to do that on this forum, though, as the admins/mods here are very professional - they take care of business.

Quote Originally Posted by simmonsjoe View Post
    DON'T RESPOND AT ALL, JUST VOTE.
    Responding is our option under forum rules. This is, after all, a message forum.
    Last edited by since9; 09-19-2010 at 12:51 PM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    What's a troll?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    i try to read and ignore the medium trolls, they try to make an unpopular point.
    It makes you a troll to disagree with the majority?

To answer the question: I don't ignore anyone, because I do not feel the need to stick my fingers in my ears and go lalalalalalala when someone says something I don't like.
    Last edited by Jack House; 09-19-2010 at 02:51 PM.

Whenever you feel that you disagree with someones point of view, there are two elite methods of response.

#1. Pretend that you are taking a moral, ethical, or factual high ground by hiding behind your own beliefs.

#2. Declare the person you are conversing with a "troll" as to denigrate their character by labeling them as an internet phenomenon on a mission to merely invoke emotive response.

That way you don't have to actually discuss the topic or delve into subject matter you are uncomfortable with.

Huzzah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Personal responsibility is a facade created by religious people in particular...
    On "Personal Responsibility just after the previous, in the same exact thread.
    Religion uses is as a tool, they did not create it.
    The wheels on the bus go round and round...round and round.

You think that I am ill-equipped...hit me with your best shot Einstein, I am calling you out.

Free will is only slightly a conscious exercise...

Quote Originally Posted by slowfiveoh View Post
    Whenever you feel that you disagree with someones point of view, there are two elite methods of response.

#1. Pretend that you are taking a moral, ethical, or factual high ground by hiding behind your own beliefs.

#2. Declare the person you are conversing with a "troll" as to denigrate their character by labeling them as an internet phenomenon on a mission to merely invoke emotive response.

#3. Declare that the opposing view is a personal attack and put the poster on the ignore list and move on.

That way you don't have to actually discuss the topic or delve into subject matter you are uncomfortable with.

Huzzah.
    You left one out. I fixed it for you.
    Last edited by rodbender; 09-19-2010 at 06:58 PM.

It is my experience that those who fear conversing about a particular subject, or feign offense to it, are intellectually unable to process a conversation about it.

It disturbs their worldview so badly that they cower from discussing it.

Venturing outside of your shell is bad, even if it's made of sticks.

Am I right?

Also, yes rodbender I agree. Thank you for that meaningful, and worthwhile addition.
    Personal responsibility is a facade created by religious people in particular...
    On "Personal Responsibility just after the previous, in the same exact thread.
    Religion uses is as a tool, they did not create it.
    The wheels on the bus go round and round...round and round.

You think that I am ill-equipped...hit me with your best shot Einstein, I am calling you out.

Free will is only slightly a conscious exercise...

Founder's Club Member PrayingForWar's Avatar
    I've only used it once. I don't mind getting into arguements at all. There was one poster however who IMO contributed nothing but mindless leftist bullscat in every single post I saw. If I want to read the nonsensical ravings of some fascist bed wetters I'll go to the Huff-Po or some other looney blog. Everyone else here has a point of view that is valid, regardless if I agree or think they're an idiot.
    If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training. You will become a minister of death, PRAYING FOR WAR...

Founder's Club Member
    I never "ignore" anybody. I figure the best ignore button is my own mind. Kinda like the most important gun safety, and the most important self-defense weapon.

And, I'd better not hear Grapeshot chipping in that I'm at a disadvantage and need to move up in caliber on that last one.
    Last edited by Citizen; 09-19-2010 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by simmonsjoe View Post
    Don't even think about it, NO RESPONSES.
    This makes it look like you really do want responses, other wise you'd just track the poll and ignore the postings.
    If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training. You will become a minister of death, PRAYING FOR WAR...

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    I never "ignore" anybody. I figure the best ignore button is my own mind. Kinda like the most important gun safety, and the most important self-defense weapon.

And, I'd better not hear Grapeshot chipping in that I'm at a disadvantage and need to move up in caliber on that last one.
    I'll do it for him.

You need a .45

Yata hey.
    Last edited by PrayingForWar; 09-19-2010 at 07:56 PM. Reason: added the yata hey

I do not use the ignore feature provided by the software on any site.

I have enough abilities left in my feeble brain to just skip over the trolls, or to report them if they are obnoxious enough to merit the trouble.

So - that means I didn't answer the poll because there is no matching answer: I do not use the ignore feature, I simply ignore the trolls.
    No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: The officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets. -- Edward Abbey

• • • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Faciémus!• • •

Nothing more that I need to say here - you've done quite well I should say.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

I just ignore them without wasting my time changing any settings. There is nothing that requires someone to respond to trolls or anyone else and the scroll wheel on my mouse works fine for ignoring posts that I don't care to read.

DNFTT = Do Not Feed The Trolls. If you do you are as aggravating as they are.

What ignore feature?

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeper1 View Post
    What ignore feature?
    Go to the top of the page, right side, and click Settings

Then look on the left margin, low. You will see an option to edit your "ignore list."

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrayingForWar View Post
    I'll do it for him.

You need a .45

Yata hey.
    LOL. I just realized you added the "Yata hey." Nice touch.

You'll notice he didn't waste any time tracking down my post.

Sometimes, instead of an ignore feature, I wish there was a stealth feature that could hide posts from certain people.

Citizen, thank you for the help.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    I only have one obnoxious person on ignore, I don't really want to but figured it would be better to have him on ignore after the personal attacks and mean spirited e-mails.
    The main reason I used it was an attempt not distract from the purpose and direction of the forum. I love a good debate and a good argument but out of respect for the forum and my peace of mind so wouldn't have to bite my tongue off every time I see his posts I decided to use the ignore solely for him, and figured I'd let the better word smiths give him a working over for a change. If he changes his ways I'll take him off, but it just wasn't worth wasting my time reading his posts.

LOL. I just realized you added the "Yata hey." Nice touch.

You'll notice he didn't waste any time tracking down my post.

Sometimes, instead of an ignore feature, I wish there was a stealth feature that could hide posts from certain people.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    It makes you a troll to disagree with the majority?
    Not in my book, Jack. It helps if one has fairly well-prepared argument to the contrary, though.

To answer the question: I don't ignore anyone, because I do not feel the need to stick my fingers in my ears and go lalalalalalala when someone says something I don't like.
    Agreed. Sounds like something cowards do.

Well, espousing one's own beliefs is part of our 1st Amendment rights, is it not?

Now this sounds like a subversive tactic. Unless, of course, it's actually well-deservered...

It is my experience that those who fear conversing about a particular subject, or feign offense to it, are intellectually unable to process a conversation about it.
    I concur. I've found out on this as well as on many other message forums over the last 26 years that many folks vehemently espouse their ideas, but cannot extricate themselves from the narrow channels of their own thought. Thus, for the purposes of a message forum, fairly useless.

I might have pushed my own views here, but on at least eight or nine occasions, I've said, "whoops! My bad!" and admitted an error or three.

It's the way I grow. It's the way we all grow (at least those of us who are growing, and not merely dying): We live and we learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
    I do not use the ignore feature provided by the software on any site.

I have enough abilities left in my feeble brain to just skip over the trolls, or to report them if they are obnoxious enough to merit the trouble.
    Kudos, Tomas.

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    I only have one obnoxious person on ignore.
    I hope it wasn't me, but any lack of response from you will confirm it.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    Now let's see, who does that remind me of? HMMMM...think....think....Oh yeah, I remember now, it reminds me of the one that probably has the record for using the ignore feature. That would be.....

......nope, ain't gonna say the name.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast