• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ignore feature.

Do You use the Ignore Feature on trolls?

• Total voters

sudden valley gunner

I only have one obnoxious person on ignore, I don't really want to but figured it would be better to have him on ignore after the personal attacks and mean spirited e-mails.
The main reason I used it was an attempt not distract from the purpose and direction of the forum. I love a good debate and a good argument but out of respect for the forum and my peace of mind so wouldn't have to bite my tongue off every time I see his posts I decided to use the ignore solely for him, and figured I'd let the better word smiths give him a working over for a change. If he changes his ways I'll take him off, but it just wasn't worth wasting my time reading his posts.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
LOL. I just realized you added the "Yata hey." Nice touch.

You'll notice he didn't waste any time tracking down my post.

Sometimes, instead of an ignore feature, I wish there was a stealth feature that could hide posts from certain people. :)

:lol:

since9

Campaign Veteran
It makes you a troll to disagree with the majority?

Not in my book, Jack. It helps if one has fairly well-prepared argument to the contrary, though.

To answer the question: I don't ignore anyone, because I do not feel the need to stick my fingers in my ears and go lalalalalalala when someone says something I don't like.

Agreed. Sounds like something cowards do.

Whenever you feel that you disagree with someones point of view, there are two elite methods of response.

#1. Pretend that you are taking a moral, ethical, or factual high ground by hiding behind your own beliefs.

Well, espousing one's own beliefs is part of our 1st Amendment rights, is it not?

#2. Declare the person you are conversing with a "troll" as to denigrate their character by labeling them as an internet phenomenon on a mission to merely invoke emotive response.

Now this sounds like a subversive tactic. Unless, of course, it's actually well-deservered...

It is my experience that those who fear conversing about a particular subject, or feign offense to it, are intellectually unable to process a conversation about it.

I concur. I've found out on this as well as on many other message forums over the last 26 years that many folks vehemently espouse their ideas, but cannot extricate themselves from the narrow channels of their own thought. Thus, for the purposes of a message forum, fairly useless.

I might have pushed my own views here, but on at least eight or nine occasions, I've said, "whoops! My bad!" and admitted an error or three.

It's the way I grow. It's the way we all grow (at least those of us who are growing, and not merely dying): We live and we learn.

I do not use the ignore feature provided by the software on any site.

I have enough abilities left in my feeble brain to just skip over the trolls, or to report them if they are obnoxious enough to merit the trouble.

Kudos, Tomas. :)

I only have one obnoxious person on ignore.

I hope it wasn't me, but any lack of response from you will confirm it. :)

rodbender

To answer the question: I don't ignore anyone, because I do not feel the need to stick my fingers in my ears and go lalalalalalala when someone says something I don't like.

Now let's see, who does that remind me of? HMMMM...think....think....Oh yeah, I remember now, it reminds me of the one that probably has the record for using the ignore feature. That would be.....

......nope, ain't gonna say the name.

gsx1138

I only have one person on "ignore". So could someone tell me what the instructions for this poll are? ;)

Just kidding but I really do only have one person on ignore. This is mainly because I've not seen them post anything constructive. I don't mind people who disagree with me and personal attacks are kind of funny. So I wouldn't ignore someone for those reasons.

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
i ignore nobody. sometimes they write things of importance.
i try to befriend the minor trolls, they just want acceptance.
i try to read and ignore the medium trolls, they try to make an unpopular point.
i try to read and ignore the master trolls, untill i can take it no more,
then i try to post a non-flame rebuttal to kill what ever action they have stirred up.

that works,,,,often.

View attachment 4183

1245A Defender

download

Last edited:

sultan62

I didn't answer the poll because my choice isn't there. I don't put anyone on ignore, but I don't respond to them either. I read the post, and if it has no value, disregard it.