• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My First OC and Post

EirikBlodok

Well I finaly decided to make to commitment to OC on a regular basis, since carrying CC as I have since I was 21 is just getting to be a PIA comfort wise.

2AM on my way to work, Chevron in Auburn by the Supermall, In for gas and my morning coffee, non event, I don't think the clerk noticed.

Today on the way home from work Safeway in Auburn, honestly I don't think anyone noticed or well i should say I did not notice anyone notice. Non event, in for a sandwich and a 6pack for the football games and on out.

Well bottom line I broke the OC cherry.
I was a bit nervous just because of the idiot that made the news in Auburn but other than that.;)

Eirik

Deleted_User

WELCOME to the board and welcome to OC. I've OC'd a tad in Auburn and had no issue, but I usually don't go towards Fred Meyer or Safeway or anywhere near Auburn Way just because my business is usually elsewhere.

Glad to have you aboard the board, eh? That didn't work. Welcome anyhow!

jt59

Good job!....and welcome. As others will tell you, it gets easier the more you do it, and pretty soon it will start to feel pretty normal....I think your perceptions are correct.

Mostly you don't get noticed.....the majority that do notice, likely don't say anything, you'll hear some support from folks too. If you can make it to one of the meets, you'll likely be able to pick up some of the flyers you've read about....their handy to give to folks that are curious enough to ask.

joejoejoe

Sounds like a good first! Welcome to the boards and keep posting your experiences in Auburn so we know where to stop next time we wander that way :)

Joe~

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
You Washington guys can make sure he is up to speed on Terry Stops, exercising his rights, voice-recorder, complying with requests to leave private property, and all that?

tombrewster421

Welcome, and rest assured that it only gets more comfortable the more you do it. I kinda get nervous now when I have to CC.

EirikBlodok

Well just to update, I OC'ed into Walmart by the supermall.....for some milk and a loaf of bread.....no issues....Did have some kid with his eyes glued on me talking russian to his dad. Dad said something to his son in russian and the just kept on shopping, Kid could not have been more than 5 or 6yo.....then some asian type gangster thug type kind of gave me the eye ball in the check out line.....my guess is because he may or may not have a warrent? and thought I was a cop? I don't know but no issue there either

Well its been a good OC day...

of course more updates to come from South Auburn.

Eirik

Lovenox

You Washington guys can make sure he is up to speed on Terry Stops, exercising his rights, voice-recorder, complying with requests to leave private property, and all that?

Request to leave private property? Educate me.

sudden valley gunner

I believe he means that if you go into a store (which is private property) and they ask you to leave, you have to leave. You don't stand there arguing that OC is legal and you have the right to be there.

Although I may ask to speak to manager, if refused I politely leave. And call the manager/corporate after.

Also our recording laws are pretty straightforward anything private you need permission, yet you are not obligated to stop recording, as long as you informed them and that statement is on the recording.

We are not a stop and I.D. State, I carry sterile no I.D. no CPL except where required by law to do so. E.G. Driving a vehicle or picking kids up at school.

When approached by an officer many recommend , "Am I being detained", if not wish salutations to the officer and continue about your business. If yes ask if they can articulate their reasonable suspicion you are engaged in unlawful activity, if they cannot than ask if you are free to go. If not I would advice no further discourse without a lawyer present, (well except for informing the officer of that intention).

There are some who say a good point about asking if you are under "arrest" first it lays all the cards on the table immediately, I think he has a good point.

amzbrady

Although I may ask to speak to manager, if refused I politely leave. And call the manager/corporate after.

Also our recording laws are pretty straightforward anything private you need permission, yet you are not obligated to stop recording, as long as you informed them and that statement is on the recording.

We are not a stop and I.D. State, I carry sterile no I.D. no CPL except where required by law to do so. E.G. Driving a vehicle or picking kids up at school.

When approached by an officer many recommend , "Am I being detained", if not wish salutations to the officer and continue about your business. If yes ask if they can articulate their reasonable suspicion you are engaged in unlawful activity, if they cannot than ask if you are free to go. If not I would advice no further discourse without a lawyer present, (well except for informing the officer of that intention).

There are some who say a good point about asking if you are under "arrest" first it lays all the cards on the table immediately, I think he has a good point.

I figured an easy way for me to get around it with little to no suspision would be, I have a pen recorder, and keep a notepad with me. If I have to record in private I take my pen out turn it on and take the pad and say, while writing, I'm going to jot down some notes and record this so I dont forget things. Now I've made them aware and they think I am only writing. At least thats what I'm gonna try if the situation arises.

sudden valley gunner

I figured an easy way for me to get around it with little to no suspision would be, I have a pen recorder, and keep a notepad with me. If I have to record in private I take my pen out turn it on and take the pad and say, while writing, I'm going to jot down some notes and record this so I dont forget things. Now I've made them aware and they think I am only writing. At least thats what I'm gonna try if the situation arises.

I'm about to go shower, but if I remember correctly in private conversations, it has to be recorded on the same recording that you are notifying them they are being recorded. They don't have to agree. Than again, I could be totally wrong and just plain tired. :lol:

VegasGeorge

Your good experience is pretty typical. Here in Nevada I've open carried several times. The only time I thought anyone noticed was when I was with a group. I don't know if people see the gun but just don't think anything of it, or whether most people are just oblivious to their surroundings. Either way, it works for me!