Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Not OC "per se", but interesting...

  1. #1
    Regular Member Mr H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    AA Co., Maryland, USA
    Posts
    286

    Not OC "per se", but interesting...

    Was in Ocean City MD this weekend.

    Went down on the boardwalk this morning, and noticed a guy. Looked like a typical toughass sort, overall, but something about his whole "partiot" persona didn't fit. I thought he might be LEO, or maybe recently separated from the Marines, or something, but no clue, really.

    Then I noticed it...

    He was sporting a pretty official-looking badge on his belt. On his left hip (so I'm thinking he's right-handed right off the bat)... it clearly stated "Concealed Handgun Permit" (Keeping in mind this is MD)... so I start wondering.

    No info on jurisdiction or issuer... just a really serious-looking badge.

    I didn't engage him, as I was with the wife and she was in jewelry-mode <VBG>

    But, on seeing him again later (prominently seated for lunch at a table right on the visible side by the boardwalk), I had come to the conclusion that he was just looking for attention and I can simply call BS on this and move along.

    Thoughts???

  2. #2
    Regular Member Snakemathis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Prescott Valley, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    107

    Wtf?

    I thought the point of concealed carry was that no one else was aware your armed. Wearing a big gold badge that says "I have a gun but you cant see it" totally defeats the purpose of them not being able to see it. And people say OCer's are weird...
    "Know firearms, know safety. No firearms, no safety"
    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts."

  3. #3
    Regular Member Mr H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    AA Co., Maryland, USA
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakemathis View Post
    I thought the point of concealed carry was that no one else was aware your armed. Wearing a big gold badge that says "I have a gun but you cant see it" totally defeats the purpose of them not being able to see it. And people say OCer's are weird...
    OK... as long as I'm not the only one...

    ;-))

  4. #4
    Regular Member sultan62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    1,319
    I might wear something like that in a state that was CC only, but it damn sure wouldn't be a badge. A hat or a shirt that says "I'm legally carrying a weapon." or "I'm armed, and not ashamed.", maybe.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    221
    Probably bought it from a site like this.
    http://www.maxsell.com/index.php?p=c...&parent=3&pg=1

  6. #6
    Regular Member Mr H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    AA Co., Maryland, USA
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by HolyOrangeJuice View Post
    Probably bought it from a site like this.
    http://www.maxsell.com/index.php?p=c...&parent=3&pg=1
    OK.. makes sense...

    The one with "CHP" on it (4th?? 6th, maybe?) looks close enough to call BS.
    Last edited by Mr H; 09-29-2010 at 08:02 PM.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358
    Under MD law, a really itchy LEO could probably twist wearing such a badge into a "brandishing" charge. In many counties and municipalities there are specific statutes and codes prohibiting "open display of a firearm", and the way they interpret the law in MD, I imagine wearing such a badge in Montgomery County, Howard County, or Baltimore would at the very least get you cuffed and proned, and MIGHT lead to some sort of trumped-up carry violation charge...

    I would have asked him "what on earth are you thinking, man?"...
    Last edited by Dreamer; 11-21-2010 at 08:31 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    REAL concealed carriers wear these: http://www.dsmsafety.com/home.html

    You may want to consider a Class III Beverage Alert before viewing that site.

    Don't say you were not warned.

    Yes, apparently they are serious.

    stay safe.

  9. #9
    State Researcher Bill Starks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nortonville, KY, USA
    Posts
    4,291
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    real concealed carriers wear these: http://www.dsmsafety.com/home.html

    you may want to consider a class iii beverage alert before viewing that site.

    Don't say you were not warned.

    Yes, apparently they are serious.

    Stay safe.
    LAMO.... at what point are you to put it on??
    Last edited by Bill Starks; 09-29-2010 at 11:19 PM.

  10. #10
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by M1Gunr View Post
    LAMO.... at what point are you to put it on??
    According to the web site, you wear it in a pouch and as you are grabbing your firearm you use the other hand to pull it out and over your head - or something like that.

    I have enough trouble walking, chewing bubblegum and breathing (each in turn, never simultaneously) to try to add that acrobatic maneuver to my bag of skills. That and a fashion sense that fortunately stops somewhere shy of accessorizing with a product like that.

    In all honesty I think if the cops saw someone wearing that the chance of them getting shot accidentally would go up exponentially - due to the cops rolling on the ground laughing their butts off thus causing an ND.

    stay safe.

  11. #11
    Regular Member frommycolddeadhands's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Knob Noster, MO
    Posts
    451
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    REAL concealed carriers wear these: http://www.dsmsafety.com/home.html

    You may want to consider a Class III Beverage Alert before viewing that site.

    Don't say you were not warned.

    Yes, apparently they are serious.

    stay safe.
    LOL, my first thought was "Oh look, that hall monitor has a gun".
    God is the one driving this stagecoach, I'm just riding shotgun.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Superlite27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    God's Country, Missouri
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    REAL concealed carriers wear these: http://www.dsmsafety.com/home.html

    You may want to consider a Class III Beverage Alert before viewing that site.

    Don't say you were not warned.

    Yes, apparently they are serious.

    stay safe.

    Aren't these the sashes girl scouts wear to pin their CCW merit badges on?

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Renton, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,201
    Nothing says "wannabe" like wearing one of these CCW badges. I would think you would get in trouble for impersonating a LEO, if they could stop laughing long enough to detain or arrest you. The funniest story I have heard about this came from somewhere on here. Three guys OCing and wearing CCW badges. Go figure.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead


    Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

  14. #14
    State Researcher Bill Starks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nortonville, KY, USA
    Posts
    4,291
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
    Nothing says "wannabe" like wearing one of these CCW badges. I would think you would get in trouble for impersonating a LEO, if they could stop laughing long enough to detain or arrest you. The funniest story I have heard about this came from somewhere on here. Three guys OCing and wearing CCW badges. Go figure.
    Carrying a badge in the state of Utah is illegal. Under Utah Criminal Code Section 76-8-512(3) A person is guilty of a class B misdemeanor who: displays or possesses without authority any badge....or a reasonable facsimile...with the intent to induce another to submit or rely on his pretend official authority.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Quote Originally Posted by M1Gunr View Post
    Carrying a badge in the state of Utah is illegal. Under Utah Criminal Code Section 76-8-512(3) A person is guilty of a class B misdemeanor who: displays or possesses without authority any badge....or a reasonable facsimile...with the intent to induce another to submit or rely on his pretend official authority.
    It would be hard to prove in a court of law "intent to induce another to submit or rely on he pretend official authority" unless the badge-wearer were taking some other overt action involving another.

    Unless one is officially authorized to do so, wearing a badge is silly. However, the simple act of wearing an unofficial badge does not appear to be illegal in Utah.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dandridge, TN
    Posts
    377
    The first responsibility of concealed carry is avoidance...... I for one will not be RUNNING INTO a situation with pistol blazing trying to be the hero.....that said I also will not shirk a DUTY to protect my, my loved ones, or any person in IMMEDIATE life or death danger. when the cops show up my pistol is holstered and out of my HAND.

  17. #17
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671


    That's got to be some of the dumbest sh&* I've ever seen.
    Last edited by ProShooter; 11-09-2010 at 08:29 AM.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  18. #18
    Regular Member Mr H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    AA Co., Maryland, USA
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post


    That's got to be some of the dumbest sh&* I've ever seen.
    Dang, Jim...

    Why you holding back on us??!!

    ;-))

  19. #19
    kittyhawk63
    Guest
    I can see why an LEO may want to wear one of these when he/she is off duty and it's dark. I have no idea why anyone else would. All I see is a $30 money-maker for something that probably cost less than $3 to make in bulk.

    Field referees have been pulling warning flags for as long as I can remember, and as someone said, didn't the scouts come up with this idea first? They should complain that someone had trampled on their turf. lol Just kidding.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    tidewater, Va
    Posts
    53

    Concealed carry badge

    I just saw these in a magazine and had to say wth? That sash is the stupidest thing I'vr ever seen.
    The difference in between being a citizen and a subject is the right to keep and bear arms.

    Sic Semper Tyrannus

  21. #21
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr H View Post
    Thoughts???
    Sounds to me like he was protesting Maryland's penchant against OC by CCing and advertising it.

    I agree the banner looks ridiculous. However, I was intrigued with the paragraph from the product's website:

    Our safety product was designed to provide non-uniformed police officers involved in critical incident a safe and nationally recognized way to identify themselves to uniformed officers that are responding to the critical incident utilizing a safety banner system which is visible 360 degrees in order to eliminate “blue on blue” shootings.

    An easy, cost effective solution that can help eliminate friendly fire, and proper identification by law enforcement and C.C.W. holders.

    It's the same reason all valid armed forces wear uniforms, from the military to LEO, S.W.A.T., FBI, etc. All wear either uniforms, or jackets or bullet-proof vests emblazed with their agency's logo.

    It's in part for these same reasons I choose to look like an upstanding citizen when I OC, rather than a thug wearing a hoodie.
    Last edited by since9; 11-17-2010 at 08:51 PM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

  22. #22
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    REAL concealed carriers wear these: http://www.dsmsafety.com/home.html

    Why would anyone wear a sash that advertised the fact that they were committing a CRIME like "Carrying a Concealed Weapon"? You'd think that admitting to a crime in neon colors would be probably cause for the cops to shoot you for sure...

    I'll never understand why people in states like MD, NY and IL seem to confuse a privilege (concealed carry permit) with a crime (Carry a Concealed Weapon). Perhaps it's because in states like that, getting a permit has more to do with who you know and who's palm you grease, than with training, competency, safety, and knowledge of the law...

    PLEASE stop using "CCW" to describe a lawful permit to carry concealed. "CCW" is a CRIME. Permits have specific names, and there is not a SINGLE state in the Union that calls their permit/license a "CCW".

    But almost ALL states DO define "CCW" as a statutory crime.

    This isn't rocket science folks...
    Last edited by Dreamer; 11-21-2010 at 08:39 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    49

    CCw banners

    Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Sounds to me like he was protesting Maryland's penchant against OC by CCing and advertising it.

    I agree the banner looks ridiculous. However, I was intrigued with the paragraph from the product's website:

    Our safety product was designed to provide non-uniformed police officers involved in critical incident a safe and nationally recognized way to identify themselves to uniformed officers that are responding to the critical incident utilizing a safety banner system which is visible 360 degrees in order to eliminate “blue on blue” shootings.

    An easy, cost effective solution that can help eliminate friendly fire, and proper identification by law enforcement and C.C.W. holders.

    It's the same reason all valid armed forces wear uniforms, from the military to LEO, S.W.A.T., FBI, etc. All wear either uniforms, or jackets or bullet-proof vests emblazed with their agency's logo.

    It's in part for these same reasons I choose to look like an upstanding citizen when I OC, rather than a thug wearing a hoodie.
    So what if the bad guy is wearing this banner to trick LEO's into believing their the good guys. It ain't working.

  24. #24
    Campaign Veteran Bookman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    1,424
    [QUOTE=JackOR;1409693]The website states; *** DSM Safety Products LLC policy: The DSM Safety Banner will only be shipped to qualifying Law Enforcement, CCW and Security Personnel agencies.

    Things get stolen all of the time. Both the badge are the banner are ridiculous and potentially dangerous to the LAC. One could be used to charge you with Impersonating a police officer and the other makes you a highly visible target.

    That being said, if you're foolish enough to actually buy a badge you should also get the proper ID folder to keep it in. wearing it for the world to see is world class stupidity.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke


    "I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    49

    Banners yeah right!!

    Quote Originally Posted by JackOR View Post
    The website states; *** DSM Safety Products LLC policy: The DSM Safety Banner will only be shipped to qualifying Law Enforcement, CCW and Security Personnel agencies.

    That said, I also found this snippet in the FAQ that gave me a good laugh...

    Will I remember to deploy the DSM Safety Banner after a critical incident?

    Not unless you train with your banner, Sgt. Mike Lessman advises that once your adversary is down, seek cover, tactically reload and deploy your banner, this should be practiced in your range training sessions so that if you are faced with a critical incident, you will revert back to your training.

    Yeah, I'm going to practice deploying my banner at the range...
    Agree, if bad guys can get guns, they can also get banners, except i don't think they think about wearing banners.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •