• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Armed Bank Robbers In the Neighborhood

rugerljr

http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/8292905/

I live in the neighborhood where Mr Martin lived. I thought this neighborhood was safe and I felt pretty secure. I've even accidently left my back door unlocked for 6 solid months and never had an issue. But a story like this prompts us all to be more vigilant in our own homes. Obviously whenever I am in my house I keep my guns within reach and never answer the door unarmed. But the unlying threat here was the fact that I never really thought anyone in this neighboor would be such a bad egg. Which means now I will be more vigilant in my home defense. You never truly know who is living next door til you read about them in the paper or see them on the news the next day.

Last edited:

rugerljr

Its funny I know all my neighbors but the people in the house haven't talked to me in the 8-10 months they've resided there. I think the whole pistol on my side might of gave them the impression I was a cop, which might possibly be why they never attempted anything in the neighborhood. Criminals are cowards, they don't want confrontation. The more armed citizens we have the more we're going to deter violent crimes.

TheFreeman

Welcome aboard!

There has been a good bit of turnover in my neighborhood between foreclosures and rental properties. I suspect that is fairly common right now in many neighborhoods due to the economy. I make it a point to be armed even while just working out in the yard.

rugerljr

I just like how we live in a country where we find it ok to let a convicted rapist go back into society but we keep the drug dealers locked up. Anyone know any statistics on violent offenders? I'd like to know how many who are let free end up back in prison for a similar crime within an allotted amount of time.

TheFreeman

It almost seems as if all of the good people should be in jail where it is "safe" and let the criminals roam free to kill themselves off. Besides, good law abiding citizens are the ones who do the work, pay the taxes, etc, etc.

Case in point, the guy who killed Concord Police Chief's daughter was one of the revolving door criminals. Failed to register the last time he moved too. So this guy could have moved in next door to you, and you wouldn't have known that he was a sex offender.

rotorhead

It's amazing how close some of this stuff is to our homes. In my neighborhood there have been 3 shootings in the past year alone, and it's not the 'hood- far from it.

Another fun thing to do is look at your states' department of justice site and search the sex offenders list map. You might be surprised at how close they are to you.

spinner

Lsten, 17 years old your a man, 12 years old you a kid. not even to mention doing drugs while you committing GOD for saking FELONY. and he get's probation. WTF. I mean come on. and the government wonders why we want to carry gun's.

rotorhead

Lsten, 17 years old your a man, 12 years old you a kid. not even to mention doing drugs while you committing GOD for saking FELONY. and he get's probation. WTF. I mean come on. and the government wonders why we want to carry gun's.

The more recent versions of our gov't anyway, the earlier ones had a pretty good grasp of the idea of self-protection. It is frustrating though, yer right.

spinner

Just remember this 1 thing please. The 1 and only LORD GOD gave you all your rights and every thing you have as a human being not the government, the government can't give you anything you do not already own. The government will take away your rights and whats yours, with a smile and try to make you feel good about giving it to them. Our founding fathers would cry, then kill all of the politician's that are in "power" now for treason for what they are doing to the county they fought and died for. GOD BLESS US ALL!

rugerljr

The guy wasn't registered at his location as a sex offender. I've looked at the maps online for registered sex offenders and he isn't on there at all in this area. Meaning he didn't register in the first place. Leading me to believe that anyone of my neighbors could be an offender of some sort and the law just let them slip right thru the loop. If I don't pay my taxes on time, I get a letter. If a criminal sex offender doesn't register to a new address, obviously no one cares. Our country is slowly going to ****. I like the idea of all law abiding citizens going to prison and we're let the criminals roam free to kill one another off. After about 6 months of that it'll be safe to come back into society. And you know some left wing nut job is gonna say well a felon got a gun, we need more strict gun control in our country. Even tho since the invention of the gun theres always been a black market for them. If a criminal wants a gun bad enough, he'll find one. Which is why more and more people need to arm themselves because when the cops are 3 minutes away, you might only have 3 seconds to react to a threat. Don't count on the government to protect you. Count on yourself and other armed citizens to do the right thing when it comes to self defense and others.

spinner

I have kids and before I move the first thing I do is check the registry to see if there are any sex offenders in the area. I thought I was doing a good job to protect them. Guess not. I never thought about the ones who just don't register. I always thought they check up on these guy's every so often to see if they are where they say they are. Maybe they should check into a parole officer every month for the rest of their lives too.

rugerljr

I think since the Obama Administration is all about creating government jobs, he needs to create more parole officer jobs in every state so these rehabilitated individuals can report to them twice a month for 10+ years. I can remember 9 months ago when the cops in sanford were patrolling in a trailer park up across from coty, 4 men opened fire on their car. http://www.ncwanted.com/ncwanted_home/story/6662191/ The process of letting go career criminals at such a young age is ignorant. Statistics prove that individuals under the age of 20 have turned back to crime 80% of the time compared to any other age group. You might not be able to fix an old man who has a violent past. But with the right structure of rehibilitation and teaching them a skill instead of tossing them back onto the street our violent crime rate would drop. But instead we have a bunch of criminals with the mind capacity of a 2 year old running thru the streets waving guns with no reguards for human life. My only wish is one of these idiots never run in my direction because my draw will be faster and my aim will be better. Its not something I ever want to do but if the moment comes I'm completely prepared.

Last edited:

spinner

I don't even know where to begin on that story. 1 I wish the mayor would have said we have all these guy's out there with "illegal" gun's, not just gun's. 2 the police chief said it all, " if they will shoot at a police officer who will shoot back, I can't imagine what they would do to a regular citizen". 3 I get the idea of the gun buy back program but I don't agree with it. Don't use tax payer money to buy stolen gun's from criminal's. Why not buy drug's, stolen car's, shoplifted TV's from Wal-Mart, get the point. Make a law, ( GET CAUGHT WITH A STOLEN FIREARM AND GET 20 YEARS ). Mandatory, no questions asked, do not pass go, do not collect 25$ for the gun, and no parole . Then serve your time after that for what ever other crime you committed on top of that. This way I know if your 20 I won't have to deal with you until your 40. They would think twice about carrying then, or breaking into a house to steal guns. Other than that, good story. also your right, the 2'nd to last thing I wan't to do is kill some one, the last thing I want to do is be killed. I don't carry a gun to look tough and I think criminals know this. I carry with the intent to kill. Other wise why carry. hope it doesn't come to that, but it's something I'm willing and able to do. GOD BLESS